New Christmas Locomotive Required

Ed_Cairns

I excitedly received my new 2018 Christmas Plank Wagon - R6889 yesterday.

I have collected a number of these Christmas Edition Wagons in addition to the original rolling stock that was supplied with the Santa's Express Train Set. These new wagons are are fun to collect, but as the number of wagons increases the original 0-4-0 Locomotive is straining a bit.

So maybe for next Christmas, Hornby could offer a heavier locomotive dressed up in the appropriate Christmas decor - to make pulling all Santa's plank wagons and reindeer even easier?

Just for fun!

Or you could just buy another Santa Express locomotive. One at each end, something slong those lines?

This is what I mean: eBay - HORNBY Loco Santa Express 0-4-0 R1185 R1210.

You do not need to buy another Santa's Express Train Set. You can buy a Santa Express locomotive that has been split from the train set and is new and unused. It's very rare to find a new 0-4-0 locomotive these days below £20.00. I suggest you should get this, especially while it has that 24% off.

GNR-Gordon-4

GNR-Gordon-4

Your suggestion of obtaining a second 0-4-0 Santa Express locomotive isn't a bad idea but I did not want to purchase a second Santa Express Train Set. However, I am surprised at the number of "loose" Santa Express Loco's that are available to purchase as per your link.

Still it might be fun if Hornby developed a new Santa Express Locomotive - imagine what one could add to the sounds produced by a Christmas TTS module if it came so equipped?

Given the popularity of both the Santa Express Train Sets and the Christmas gift year stamped plank cars, I think that a larger Santa locomotive would sell well....?

Ed

I very much doubt Hornby will issue out a new Christmas themed train set, yet. The Santa's Express Train Set was first released in 2014 and has been reissued three types since then. All together, that's four releases of the Santa's Express Train Set, but there's not much difference between the four. All with different product numbers.

I do feel it's a little ealy for Hornby to release a new completely different version. I doubt it will get replaced yet. I can see the Santa's Express Train Set lasting many years to come.

GNR-Gordon-4

"I think this proves that the set isn't particularly popular. People are just keeping the wagons and dumping the loco. "

Doesn't this indicate that my original idea may be correct? People enjoy the Christmas Gift Plank wagons and the Reindeer Box Car but don't really like the 0-4-0 Santa Locomotive?

And it wouldn't take a large money investment to tool up an existing heavier locomotive in a Christmas / Santa theme....

Ed

My original idea was for Hornby to keep the Santa Express Train set as it is, but to offer a separate stand alone heavier Santa Locomotive so as the yearly gift wagons get added one can continue to run them on one's layout. The current Santa 0-4-0 loco is fine for the original set but strains as new wagons are added.

Sure, not everyone would be inclined to purchase a new Santa Express Locomotive - but on the other hand the Santa Express Train Set and new yearly gift plank wagons seem to sell out every year.....

Ed

Okay I’m going to go out on a limb here. Since Hornsby already has a Vent car with TTS sounds ( R6888 TTS) why not a reindeer vent car with TTS Santa Express sounds. Sure it’s only for a short time before Christmas, but the young kids and grandchildren would probably love it!

And it’s a short enough time that it might not drive dad or grandad too crazy? Just for good fun around Christmas! 

But I’d really settle for a new loco....

Ed

Nothing new will be getting announced this side of Christmas. A chip of the sound of reindeer would only sell to a limited market. It's unlikely somebody would buy the chip, unless they have the Santa's Express Train Set.

Also, the Santa's Express Train Set is not DCC Ready, so this would deem the chip useless, without doing a lot soldering work to it. I very much such chip would get released, but if does, it won't be this year, that's for sure.

GNR-Gordon-4

Ericm0hff,

Perhaps my idea about TTS Reindeer Vent Wagon does push things too far.

But Hornby does produce a new Christmas Edition Plank wagon every year - and they do sell out, so someone is buying them. Also the Santa Express Train Set has sold very well for Hornby. However, there is a limit to how much the original little 0-4-0 locomotive can reasonably pull. With each Christmas adding another wagon it didn't seem unreasonable to decorate a heavier locomotive for that purpose - and as previously suggested - perhaps I'll have to decorate an existing locomotive myself. The whole idea is just for fun and granted it will not appeal to everyone.

And like my house Christmas decorations, at the end of the season I put the Santa Express Set away and wait till the next Christmas. But, my family always enjoys the re-appearance of Santa's Express!

Is it silly? Perhaps, but its all for good fun and given Hornby's sucess at selling these items, others must enjoy them as well!

Ed

@Ed_Cairns

Yes, they are very popular amongest collectors. The first Christmas Wagon was released in 2005 and every year since then, Hornby have released another. This shows how popular they are, otherwise I am sure Hornby would have stopped a long time ago if they were not popular.

GNR-Gordon-4