Using Elite to control locos and Select for points

CDRC

Hi,

Advice please? I am using DCC Cobalt IPD motors to control Peco electrofrog points. Each individual point is totally isolated from the track to which it is attached by an IRJ on each of the six track connections but are still powered from the track bus. The Cobalts are powered by a separate accessory bus. At the time of writing the acc. bus is connected with the track power to an Elite. (This enables me to control the points through the Elite) I would like to ultimately control the points separately from the Elite. Could I separate the 2 buses and connect the acc bus to a powered Select. (I am aware that when using the Select connected to a Elite it must not be connected to mains power but in this instance would separating the buses and powering the Select get around this issue?) In this way I could use the Select to control the points and the Elite to control locos. Would separating the 2 power supplies enable this.......however this is where my understanding of DCC falls down. The Cobalts need to change the polarity on the points!! So would this rig work? Alternatively could I connect the Select to the Elite (unpowered) and use that as a stand alone point controller? 

Thanks

Charles

@CDRC

The Cobalts need to change the polarity on the points!! So would this rig work?

Yes & No (Yes with the caveat described below)

The Cobalts have two sets of internal contacts. One set is designed for frog polarity switching and has only one single switched output terminal [3]. The other two contacts of the changeover switch [1] & [2] are internally connected to the DCC input to the Cobalt.

Now if you use these frog polarity contacts in your twin Bus configuration. Whenever a piece of rolling stock traverses the IRJ joint from the main layout to the frog. Your Select accessory Bus will come into direct electrical contact with the Elite track Bus. Control of the loco will be lost and you risk damaging the Elite / Select controllers. See first switching arrangement drawing below with the red (don't do this) cross.

If you want to have the Cobalts operated on a separate accessory Bus, then you will have to use the second set of internally isolated change-over contacts [4] [5] & [6], so that the contacts can be wired to the main track (Elite) Bus. See second switching arrangement drawing below with the green (do it this way) tick.

/media/tinymce_upload/52864d3d8d105d1bfbaf9a5109619bd6.jpg

@CDRC

Alternatively could I connect the Select to the Elite (unpowered) and use that as a stand alone point controller?

Yes you can just keep one single track Bus operating both Cobalts and track locos. But have your Select connected to the Elite as a 'Walkabout' controller. That way the Elite can be used to control the locos and the Select (Walkabout) can be used to operate the points. This gives you the operational design you want, but with the restriction that the Walkabout Select must NOT be connected to its own separate power supply. A Walkabout Select MUST get its operating power from the Elite via the R8266 Walkabout interconnect cable. You can't use the 'Track' output of the Select when using the Select in Walkabout operating mode.

/media/tinymce_upload/41a994e4de0705951b38a32014c971a2.jpg

The key weakness of using the Select to operate the points is that the points can only be configured with DCC addresses in the 61 to 99 DCC address range, else the Select & Select Walkabout will not be able to operate them. This limitation is common to all the documented options above that incorporate the Select controller in the configuration. Note that to be on the safe side, DCC address 60 on the Select should ideally be avoided. Although the reason for this is historic and more to do with using Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoders rather than Cobalt IP Digitals.

@CDRC

Each individual point is totally isolated from the track to which it is attached by an IRJ on each of the six track connections but are still powered from the track bus.

Using six IRJs is NOT the correct way to use PECO SL-11 IRJs on PECO electrofrog points. This extract below from a previous thread explains the recommended method.

The recommended by PECO method for electrofrogs only uses two IRJ's NOT six.

If you decide to go the whole hog and install frog switching, then on the underside of the point you will find two wire straps (marked A on the graphic below) between the frog rails and the switch rails. These will need removing so that the frog area is totally isolated at both ends (two IRJs on the frog rails isolate the other end of the frog), allowing the frog power to be controlled by the frog polarity switch. If you remove these straps, then I highly recommend that you add the additional straps between the switch and fixed rails (marked B on the graphic below). This improves electrical reliability as power on the point is not dependant upon the side contact sprung pressure between the moving switch rail and fixed rail. Fitting the 'B' straps will require soldering.

Also, the combination of the A & B strap modifications together, virtually eliminate the possibility of wheel B2B issues causing a 'short circuit' as the rolling stock traverses the point. Which is the main reason that I recommend these modifications and frog power switching so highly.

/media/tinymce_upload/11fa4e107018605c1da4ec45ca678e67.jpg

Note: For the eagle eyed amongst the forum readers. My earlier text states PECO IRJs are part number SL11. The PECO point graphic shows part number SL111. The PECO point graphic is taken from a Code 75 Finescale track product instruction sheet. Use SL11 IRJs for PECO Code 100 track and SL111 for PECO Code 75 track.

TIP: I write long posts. If you intend to write a reply, it would be appreciated if you didn't use the 'White Arrow in Blue Box' button. This is not a 'Reply to this post button. It is best to write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply Text Box' at the very bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes images. If you use the blue button, any reply you write will be held back for image approval. Even though the images are already previously published images.

Chris

Thank you very much for your comprehensive and easy to understand reply. I have followed DCC Concepts instructions concerning the ‘doctoring’ of the Peco electrofrogs to make them suitable to be used with their IPD point motors. Sorry I didn’t make that clear in my original posting. As a first step I have decided to follow your advice by linking the Select to the Elite via R8266 and using the Select to change the points. I am also going to look into setting up a mimic board with push buttons to control the points as per the advice on the DCC Concepts manual and see how that works. 

Thanks

Charles

Hi Chris.

I’m afraid I need some further advice concerning programming the Select as my points controller and the Elite for the locos. I searched on line in both this and other forums for guidance but I can find no direct references as to how to do this. I saw on another page where you had drawn a sketch where the Select is connected to the Elite via the appropriate cable and an accessory decoder connected to the Elite bus, not the Select. This is where it becomes confusing. In this instance as I do not have the accessory decoder I am assuming I programme the Cobalts with the Select (on the Select keypad) but through the Elite, connected to the bus, using the 61 onward addressing. I could however, separate the track and the accessory bus and programme the Cobalts with the Select through the acc. bus. only but still connected via the Elite. I have read the Cobalt instructions concerning programming the motors and that seems fairly simple. I would really appreciate a short step by step guidence if that’s possible as I am getting more and more confused about what gets attached to what.

Thanks in anticipation

Charles

PS

Thanks yelrow, I have found the guy on Ebay. Thanks for the signposting.

Unless you have points motors with inbuilt decoders you will not be able to control your point using DCC until you have some sort of accessory decoders. These are the link between the controller (any) and the point motor.

If using DCCConcepts kit this info taken from their Cobalt Alpha manual page 13.

/media/tinymce_upload/dff74e526dd97b35dcc51e4136ee1563.PNG

I saw on another page where you had drawn a sketch where the Select is connected to the Elite via the appropriate cable and an accessory decoder connected to the Elite bus, not the Select. This is where it becomes confusing. In this instance as I do not have the accessory decoder.

CDRC,

Note: The Cobalt iP Digital point motors have integrated DCC Accessory Decoders built in and do not need an additional external Accessory Decoder. The Accessory Decoder shown in any previous drawing of mine that you might have seen would not have been used with Colbalt iP Digital point motors, but more likely with normal point motors where as Rob says above, an Accessory Decoder is required to operate points under DCC control.

Getting back to your main question:

I would really appreciate a short step by step guidence if that’s possible as I am getting more and more confused about what gets attached to what.

I don't do short 'step by step' guidance, only long ones. So read on.....

You cannot use the Select to configure the Cobalt iP Digital point motors, the reason why is explained shortly. You can however use the Select to operate the point motors once they have been configured via the procedure outlined below using your Elite.

The reason you can't use the Select controller to configure the Cobalt iP Digital point motors is because part of the configuration process requires the controller to send Accessory Packets with DCC address 198 and potentially addresses 197 & 199 as well. The Select can only send addresses in the 60(61) to 99 range. The Elite however can send all of the required addresses.

Note that you cannot use DCC Addresses 197, 198 & 199 for actual points, because these three DCC addresses have special uses that are described further below in this tutorial.

So initially, connect everything up as per the third drawing in my original reply. But with the exception of the Select connected via the R8266 cable. To be crystal clear, just wire the Cobalt iP Digitals to the 'TRACK A&B' output of the Elite. At no time do you need to connect your Cobalt iP Digitals to the 'PROG A&B' output of the Elite. Or connect the Select at this time.......see image below:

/media/tinymce_upload/00db873d7e1118d68ada04e7491d55eb.jpg

However, since you want to use the Select later to operate the Cobalt iP Digitals once they have been configured you need to give them addresses in the 61 to 99 range.

For the purpose of this tutorial we will assume that DCC Address 61 will be the first address used, followed by 62, followed by 63 etc.

To set the first Cobalt iP Digital with the DCC Address 61 (this assumes that all connection wiring has been performed and the Elite and Cobalts have been powered up).

By default, the Cobalt iP Digital has ‘self centering’ enabled. This makes it easier to mount the point motor under the baseboard centrally under the throw of the point (turnout) tie bar. Once mounted and wired up to the Elite track output. The ‘self centering’ needs to be disabled. This is where the DCC address 198 comes into play. The address you can't send using the Select.

There is a mechanical switch on the Cobalt marked ‘Run’ and ‘Set’. Put the switch in the ‘Set’ position.

Now send DCC address 198 to the Cobalt by following this procedure on the Elite.

Elite send DCC 198 Accessory address procedure.

From the Elite has just powered up screen (i.e this means it is in Locomotive control mode). Press the 'ACC' key on the Elite.

If the LCD display does not show "Control Adr: nnnn" where nnnn is a number, then press the 'ACC' key again. A screen very similar to this one should be displayed.

/media/tinymce_upload/b1d22a2070d6292bd58f51a14f2ce82d.jpg

Now key in the DCC Accessory address you want to send. In this particular case key in the number 0198. You have to include the leading zeros as the LCD displays a four digit number.

The 0001 in the image above should now read 0198

Now press the left controller knob. This action assigns the 198 address to the left controller knob.

Now press the left controller knob again. This will send the DCC 198 address to the Cobalt iP Digital. I would press the left controller knob a second time after waiting 2 seconds to be extra sure that the 198 address has been read by the Cobalt iP Digital..

Now return the Cobalt iP Digital switch to the ‘Run’ position.

Now briefly remove the power supply from the Cobalt then reconnect it - termed a power cycle. Disconnect & re-connect the wire from terminal 1 on the Cobalt iP Digital to do this.

The ‘self centering’ should now be disabled. The 'self centering' is only used as a physical motor mounting alignment installation aid. You do not leave 'self centering' enabled during NORMAL point operations.

If you ever need to re-enable the ‘self centering’ perform the same steps above but use address 199 instead of 198, remember to include the power cycle afterwards.

Now to set the Cobalt Address.

Put the switch on the Cobalt iP Digital back into the ‘Set’ position.

Now send DCC address 61 to the Cobalt by following this procedure on the Elite.

Elite send DCC 61 Accessory address procedure.

Press the 'ACC' key on the Elite.

If the LCD display does not show "Control Adr: nnnn" where nnnn is a number, then press the 'ACC' key again. A screen very similar to this one should be displayed. Note that this time the 0001 will more than likely show the address last used, which in this case was 0198, but later on may show 0061 or 0062 or 0063 or whatever the last address sent was etc

/media/tinymce_upload/2ffccf7e15ad70c684bfdd77c63ee43e.jpg

Now key in the DCC Accessory address you want to send. In this particular case key in the number 0061. You have to include the leading zeros as the LCD displays a four digit number.

The 0198 in the image above should now read 0061

Now press the left controller knob. This action assigns the 61 address to the left controller knob.

Now press the left controller knob again. This will send the DCC 61 address to the Cobalt iP Digital. I would press the left controller knob a second time after waiting 2 seconds to be extra sure that the 61 address has been set.

Now return the Cobalt iP Digital switch to the ‘Run’ position – there is no need to cycle the power when setting the DCC address. You only cycle the power when using the special 19x address codes.

Now test the Cobalt for operation.

Use the same procedure documented above for sending address 61 to test the operation of the point. Except this time you leave the Cobalt iP Digital switch in the 'RUN' position. Press the left controller knob to turn the point one way and press the right controller knob to turn it the other way.

If it throws in the wrong direction. Then use the ‘self centering’ procedure documented above but send address 197 instead. Then cycle the power, this will reverse the direction of operation of the Cobalt and it will be remembered by the Cobalt for future uses.

Repeat the above (starting at the disable 'self centering' step) for the next Cobalt iP Digital point motor, this time using address 62 instead of 61.

Repeat the above (starting at the disable 'self centering' step) for the next Cobalt iP Digital point motor, this time using address 63 instead of 62.

And so on, until all point motors are fitted, addressed and tested.

Once all the Cobalt iP Digitals have been configured and tested, then you can connect the Select in 'Walkabout' mode. Read the Elite and Select manuals for how to do this, or see the overview procedure in the EDIT below. Subject to the firmware on the Select, you might have to put the Elite in 'Classic' operating mode (see page 67 of the Elite manual). Then you can test Cobalt iP Digital point operation using the Select controls.

EDIT: Overview of how to connect a Select to an Elite as a 'Walkabout'.

1. Power up the Elite - the Elite should then show 03 on the display.
  2. Plug one end of the R8266 cable into either one of the two Xpressnet ports on the rear of the Elite.
  3. Plug the other end of the R8266 cable into the Xpressnet port on the rear of the Select. No other connections must be made to any other connectors on the rear of the Select.
  4. The Select will power up and detect that it is getting its power via the R8266 cable and display HC (Hand Controller).
  5. Press the 'select button' on the Select and the display will change to Ad (Address).
  6. Key in a number between 1 and 31....I suggest keying in 1
  7. Press the 'select button' again on the Select. The Red LED should flash 5 times and the Select display should then show 03 (Default loco address).

The Select should now be 'paired' to the Elite and ready to use as a 'Walkabout' Hand Controller. The reason for the Step 6 address range 1 to 31 choice is because multiple 'Selects' can be attached as 'Walkabouts' and each one needs to be paired separately to the master Elite with a different Select 'Walkabout' polling (communication) address. Note that the maximum number of 'Walkabouts' that are permitted is 7, even though the addressing range infers up to 31 can be connected. See the Select manual 'Walkabout' chapter as reference.

Use only a R8266 (RJ11/12) with a 'round' insulation sheath. The use of a general purpose 'Flat' sheathed RJ11/12 cable is not advised.

WOW.......Awsome. Thanks Chris. I’m away until Saturday, can’t wait to give it a go on my return. If I allocate an address to my first point via the Elite, does that mean I then cannot allocate that address to a loco? I also notice there is no Acc button on the Select as with the Elite so to change a point, do you just key in the address of the point and press the controller button? In the event of wanting to control a pair of points, for say a crossover, I assume you would allocate the same address to each point, using 197 address, to ensure they were synchronised.

thanks

Charles

The Elite knows the difference at binary level between a loco and a point with the same address, but the Select just uses different numbers 1-59 for locos and 61-99 for points so it can’t mistake them, so yes you key in the point number and press Select.

Rob

In the event of wanting to control a pair of points, for say a crossover, I assume you would allocate the same address to each point

Yes. There is no digital feedback from the point decoders to the controller. So the controller does not know if there is more than one Cobalt iP Digital with the SAME address.

With a normal Solenoid type point decoder you could wire both points to the same decoder port and share the same address that way. This of course you can't do with a Cobalt iP Digital as the decoder is integrated with the point motor.

I assume you would allocate the same address to each point, using 197 address, to ensure they were synchronised.

Regarding using address 197 to synchronise......Not necessarily.

If two points are facing each other to create a change-over between two ovals. Then both points switch in the same direction (whether that be left or right - switched right shown in drawing below) to create the cross-over route.

/media/tinymce_upload/7820090d081996eb27b5acd7f09204b5.jpg

If I allocate an address to my first point via the Elite, does that mean I then cannot allocate that address to a loco?

No.......As Rob, said above. With the Elite you can have a Loco with an address 61 and a point with the same 61 address. The digital packet that gets sent to the decoders contains an identifier inside the packet that defines the address as being a loco DCC address or an accessory DCC address. The Elite uses the 'Loco' and 'Acc' button to tell the Elite what kind of packet to send i.e. either send a 'Loco' packet or an 'Accessory' packet.

The Select on the other hand, as you have noted, doesn't have this pre-selection 'Loco' / 'Acc' button. So the Select firmware uses the actual address entered to tell it whether to put the address in a 'Loco' packet or an 'Accessory' packet. So any address that is entered into the Select in the 1 to 59 range is sent as a 'Loco' packet and any address entered in the 60 to 99 range is sent as an 'Accessory' packet.

So as long as you only use the Elite to control the locos (which is what you have stated as being your intention) then you have complete free rein to allocate whatever addresses you like to them (within the constraints of the DCC standards adopted by the controllers and the decoders, potentially addresses in the range 1 to 9999), and that could include ones in the 60 to 99 point addressing range that are used by the Select as well. However, only loco addresses that are in the 1 to 59 range can be controlled by the Select. As long as the point decoders have addresses in the 61 to 99 range (60 should be avoided), the Select will always process the commands as being accessory packets. You can still operate these points from the Elite as well, because you precede the point address (in the 61 to 99 range) by pressing the 'Acc' button to tell the Elite that this address is for an 'Accessory' and not a 'Loco'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chrissaf and RAF96

Followed your guidance and have 13 working points controlled by my Select. Thank you both. I have now moved my point control onto a mimic board freeing up the Elite and Select  (as a walkabout with and extended lead, thanks yelrow) and have wired the points up to push buttons following the DCC Concepts guidelines and linked them to LED’s so now I am able control the points manually and have a visual cue re positioning. I have however, encountered an issue with wiring 2 points to 1 push button. I can’t seem to activate both points simultaneously. I have wired them together following the DCC Concepts wiring plan but when I push the button only one of the pairs moves. The instructions say wire to push buttons using slots 7 and 9 which I have. Any ideas? At the moment I’m able to change individual points and the LED’s indicate the route so it’s manageable.

Thanks

Charles

Presumably the kit uses either an inbuilt or discrete CDU to bang the solenoids over. If so then does a second push of the button do the job.

If no CDU in circuit then consider incorporating one if the kit is compatible of course, as I am not familiar with the DCCConcepts kit. I use a cheap and cheerful GM CDU unit, which fires solenoids all day long in pairs.

Maybe you could post a scrap view of the wiring for us to evaluate.

Rob

I have however, encountered an issue with wiring 2 points to 1 push button.

Charles, I think you have misinterpreted the manual. Where the manual says if you only want a single push button wire it to 7 & 9. This means use 7 & 9 on each motor rather than having two separate drive left & drive right push buttons on each motor.

It does not mean using one push button shared across two (or more) point motors. There is nothing at all in the DCC Concepts iP manual (link above) that gives any indication that two point motors can share the same push button.

However, that said. Double check your push button wiring for a cross-over.

If by some fluke of luck you can share a push button, but the feature is not documented, then make sure that the wiring goes like this:

Motor A Terminal 7 to Motor B Terminal 9 to one side of Push Button

Motor A Terminal 9 to Motor B Terminal 7 to other side of Push Button.

AND NOT

Motor A Terminal 7 to Motor B Terminal 7 to one side of Push Button

Motor A Terminal 9 to Motor B Terminal 9 to other side of Push Button.

If your motors are already wired as per the first option above (this wiring option based upon the earlier Digital product manual) , then I deduce that what you are trying to do is not supported by just using a single push button connected to terminals 7 & 9 on both motors in parallel.

If you really must have a single push button to operate two iP Digitals together and even after checking and or modifying the wiring as discussed above you can't get both to throw together. Then wire in a Relay with Double Pole contacts like this, note that you will need a different power source for the Relay coil:

/media/tinymce_upload/cfc0db5f2ececbca491db01001be87d4.jpg

Relay contacts make when push button is pressed and break when push button is released.

Hi Rob,

I'm using DCC Concepts Cobalt IPDigital slow action points on a DCC layout. Each point has its own DCC controller and doesn’t require CDU input. 

https://www.dccconcepts.com/themencode-pdf-viewer-sc/?tnc_pvfw=ZmlsZT1odHRwczovL3d3dy5kY2Njb25jZXB0cy5jb20vd3AtY29udGVudC91cGxvYWRzLzIwMTYvMDIvTS1PdmVydmlldy1hbmQtV2lyaW5nLWZvci1BbGwtQ29iYWx0LU1vZGVscy0yMDE0LnBkZiZzZXR0aW5ncz0xMTExMTExMTExMTExMSZsYW5nPWVuLVVT#page=&zoom=auto&pagemode=

Is the link to the manual. It shows the old Digital PM wiring set up (first page) and the new wiring set up (last page) I use the new motors, so wire to slots 7 and 9 as advise but only use 1 push button.

The link below shows the older style PM (with only 8 wiring slots) and with a single Push Button (PB), pages 4 for single PB and single point and page 6 for double points and single PB.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/themencode-pdf-viewer-sc/?tnc_pvfw=ZmlsZT1odHRwczovL3d3dy5kY2Njb25jZXB0cy5jb20vd3AtY29udGVudC91cGxvYWRzLzIwMTYvMDIvTS1Pd25lcnMtTWFudWFsLUNvYmFsdC1EaWdpdGFsLnBkZiZzZXR0aW5ncz0xMTExMTExMTExMTExMSZsYW5nPWVuLVVT#page=&zoom=auto&pagemode=

This next link shows the leaflet that comes with the Point Motor and indicates single PM control options.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/owners-manual-cobalt-ip-digital-point-motors/

I notice however, since reading all the information again, the new PM leaflet/manual doEs not show the option to link 2 point motors to a single PB. as the old info did. Perhaps the option to do this is not availabe!

Charles

Charles if I am reading the blurb correctly if you are using 2 PB then you use 7 and 9 with 8 as common, but if you want to use 1 PB then you wire only to 7 and 9 this creating a toggle.

Wiring 2 motors to the same switch is normally as simple as doubling up on the wiring into the PB, but take note of Chris’s amended info above your last post.

Rob

The first two manual links are for products that predate the Cobalt iP Digital. They are in effect different products and the instructions are not relevant. The third manual link is the manual for your installed products.

I refer you back to my first reply above.

Just as an aside.

Reading between the lines of this thread. I take it that once you got the original solution up and running. Using Elite for locos and Select for points. You came to the conclusion that all that Select button pressing and having to remember the addressing scheme (not having a mimic panel) was just too much hassle.

Hence doing away with the Select for points and reverting to push button manual operation.

To be honest, this is to be expected. DCC control of points is fine if you have a point and click control system like RailMaster. Doing lots of points through a knob and button controller is a real pain.

Hi Chris and Rob,

Thanks for your responses. I am going to give all the solutions a try starting with what I consider the most simplest first, wiring the opposite terminals (7-9 etc) to the same side on the PB. Then I’ll try the relay solution, although that sound a little more daunting. Chris, you are quite correct, operating the points via a controller on top of remembering the addresses for each is tedious and not fluid enough for my needs. I have bought an Elink with a copy of Railmaster but at the moment the wireless signal to my garage is very poor. I do understand from what I have researched is that Railmaster does not need to be permanently to the internet! (I think that I read that from a post Rob made in answer to another forum member!) I will graduate to full computer control once I have the layout set up for manual operation and all the kinks ironed out.

Thanks again.

Charles

I understand from what I have researched, is that Railmaster does not need to be permanently connected to the internet!

The only times RM needs to be able to communicate with your broadband router is when you want to do any of these things:

• Activate the software (one time initial installation or re-activation time)
  • Deactivate the software, say if you want to move it to another PC.
  • Use the inbuilt 'support function' to report a problem.
  • Let RM auto-detect new software is available. As a workaround keep coming back and checking the forum. When new software is available it is usually mentioned on the forum, then you could download and update manually.
  • Let RM silently update the loco database in the background during start-up. This doesn't happen too often and any missed updates can be bought up to date the next time you perform a manual update.
  • If you want to use a wireless Hand Held like an iPad for example. The HH and RM have to communicate wirelessly VIA your BB router.

Under most circumstances, RM will happily run if no Internet connection is present.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Many apology’s for the delay in replying with an update. I was indisposed for short while and only manage to get back to my layout on the 17th. I’m sorry to say I was unable get the points to work from a single push button. I think my level of expertise wasn’t up to the task as describe. I‘m sure it wasn’t the guidance given but more about my skill levels. I have decided to revert back to using single PB for each point until I move onto Railmaster mid 2019, once I have completed the task of adding scenery to the layout.

Once again thanks again for all your help

Charles

Thanks for the update.

In that case, it would seem to prove that the feature to share a push button has been removed from the later product firmware.

Archived