HRMS Support [Positive Feedback]

Guest Chrissaf

So many times members post negative comments about HRMS RailMaster Support. So here is a positive one instead.

I thought I had a RM issue (turned out in the end to be a false alarm), so I sent off a 'support request' from within the RM Help screen.

I immediately (less than 10 minutes) got the automated request acknowledgement email back into my mail inbox.

HRMS then gave a formal (human person) reply via email within 3 hours. The reply, pointed me in the right direction to confirm what I had already discovered for myself, which was that my perceived RM issue was in fact operator error on my part.

My RM error is not important, the point I am making was that I received a prompt no quibble response from HRMS in a timely manner that correctly identified the operating error I had made and put me back on track (pun intended).

For information I don't use McAfee AV products and never had any original CD key activation issues and use a well established email ISP provider. So those that do experience their support requests going into a 'black hole' I would have to assume is more down to their local PC configurations, rather than their support request being ignored by HRMS.

Just to be crystal clear. The contact details I use within RM are completely different to the ones I use on the forum. A different email address and a different name. HRMS would have had absolutely no idea who I was.

There is one thing that could have a bearing. When I write down my issue in the 'support request' dialogue box. My writing style doesn't change. I still write my 'support request' with detail and clarity. No spelling mistakes and proper grammar with punctuation and text split into paragraphs. I provide the level of detail that I would like to see if I was an HRMS support agent on the receiving end, in a logical flow of information in manageable chunks.

In other words, what I am suggesting is that just maybe, spending a little bit more time preparing a quality support request gets a more targeted response. By providing all the extra detail I am making it easier for HRMS to reply positively.

And as Ray said, it is easier to 'cherry pick' the easy to answer queries. Not much different to this forum in that respect.

i have never had to use HRMS, but i have to agree with chrissaf, the more detail and the more descriptive the message the more chance of getting a faster response, same as the forum when we get posts with " my train won't go", no use to man nor beast,

So if you are well educated  and can spell, you stand more chance of an early response. I suppose that’s human nature.   i Would like to think everyone gets  the same response time, but the forum posts indicate differently.  HRMS do an excellent job once they respond, as I know from personal experience, but it’s the frustration getting an initial response, that causes probs.  If you are new to RM, and 90% of the  posters are, they would be unlikely to know much about the cause. Is there a case for a standard type tick box proforma, which would, as wtitten by HRMS, give back the information they need to help

Sounds a bit like a raffle, you had the winning ticket Chrissaf.

The past speaks for itself, I too have had good response, but also had not so good. Maybe Ray was right, it was an easy issue to reply to, it all helps the stats. 

But may be it is that time of year again, when the forum gets grumpy (sorry guys just talking of past history again) so they are trying to keep things calm, avoiding the storms.

I wonder if there will be an advent calender this year.

I wonder if we will ever get signals with working feathers.

(I didn't mention LD)

I guess the safest bet is to say, as with most things, there are two chances.

The positive: when I started with RM I had great help from RM support. Recently my experience is that the two problems reported via the RM program have resulted in no response whatsoever (and there was confirmation that the messages were sent). I too like to report positive things and wish that I could here. 

Maybe I should try Emailing them instead?

Hi, Paul,  seasons greetings. Is LD, on your xmas list. It was not on Hornbys, at Warley.

No John there is a 'Long Delay' 

I am making plans for the new layout, just added a wi-fi extender and ethernet cable to the room the layout will be in. It has been a long twelve months without the trains, I expect first 3 months next year preparing boards, DDC and lighting bus and then starting to work round each board one by one. Preparation and a lot of thought is key I believe. Can't wait to see some progress though.

I think Train Tech will have got he best response at Warley, they have some good products and getting better all the time, they keep moving forward. I think they are the one's to watch. 

Wi-Fi extenders... some of the biggest cons in computing.

If a user's home, single or multi storey, is not full of the usual things to interfere with a Wi-Fi signal then there should be no real use for extenders at all unless the router is some distance from the target machine perhaps and there a case can be made for them.

The older b and g wireless could cause a few problems but the later n and newer ac, particularly, shouldn't.

The vast majority of situations is usually down to misconfiguration of the settings but when done properly they should work well.

The interference that is probably getting in the way is users on the same channel, infra-red signals, fluorescent lighting, metal (more than usual) in walls, firdge freezers and lots more besides... check it out online.

Obviously I mean no disrespect to those who do have extenders but I do know a few who have them and when I have removed them and set wireless up properly for clients they are a little surprised shall I say... 😮

My house is an earthquake proof concrete skeleton full of rebars, so effectively a Faraday Cage against WiFi room to room,  I do have the benefit of inbuilt 1” diameter round tube plastic conduits room to room and back to the CB panel so adding wiring is a doddle, including ethernet cables. The 3-phase electrics makes Powerline adaptors iffy where some rooms are on different phases from others.

Rob

Extenders, I totally agree with everything said, but the more wi-fi we have the more issues can arise. I have a good size bungalow but lots of wi-fi, including Ring2 doorbell, Sonos speakers, Wiser Heating (which the hub uses wi-fi the system uses zigbe), and lots more. PC, laptop, printer, mobiles, tablets etc.

Alexa how do we end uo with so many items. 'I don't know that one'  LOL

The bungalow has a lot of walls too, and the main router is in one corner so has to cover every corner of the home. I have two extenders, one at the rear opposit corner to have a good signal in the Sun lounge and garden, another in the kitchen, which will have the ethernet cable through two walls one cavity wall to the train room, the signal to this one has to pass the American fridge freezer and other wi-fi items in the kitchen. 

So I see it as maybe the signal can get to the points without the extenders but, the signal is low, so the extender makes it easier for me/us. 

The Extenders are the TP-LINK AC1750 ones, excellent reviews and far superior to the 'n' extenders. 

I can understand your situation Rob, especially where your home is, but as you say, provision is built in. 

My view is make life as easy as possible, and why have wires when we don't need to. Sonos speakers are brilliant, just mains plug and music etc, in what ever room we choose, no other wires.

Quoting the Meerkats, Simples.

Gosh, Paul, you have gone wifi, mad. Had not heard of Sonos, speakers. Most houses/ bungalows, have a lot of walls, necessary, dont you know.. Do you have shares in  TP link. My router sits above computer in the office, un- aided reaches, entire house, 3 floors, patio, and garden/ sun lounge.  Only when it encounters 24 inch walls, through to Ping Pong room, does it say NON. Hence 50 foot cable plugged in back or router, via loft to required room.  My router is Orange, (the newest one.   Do you monitor your wifi signal, is that how you know it drops, as mine, is constant, and we do not have the luxury of a fast line. You really are  a techy, these days, with all those things. We  are light years behind you

Gosh, Paul, you have gone wifi, mad. Had not heard of Sonos, speakers. Most houses/ bungalows, have a lot of walls, necessary, dont you know.. Do you have shares in  TP link. My router sits above computer in the office, un- aided reaches, entire house, 3 floors, patio, and garden/ sun lounge.  Only when it encounters 24 inch walls, through to Ping Pong room, does it say NON. Hence 50 foot cable plugged in back or router, via loft to required room.  My router is Orange, (the newest one.   Do you monitor your wifi signal, is that how you know it drops, as mine, is constant, and we do not have the luxury of a fast line. You really are  a techy, these days, with all those things. We  are light years behind you

Hi John

The last time I had 50plus feet of etherrnet was in the warehouse linking the cameras to the system. Retired now as you know.  ;o)

You don't have the luxury of a fast line John, is that because you are using 3 rail for your train LOL

Sonos are brilliant wi-fi speakers, also work with Alexa, I have been wondering if I need to add her to the electral roll at this address. ROFL

Your signal is affected when it goes through wall to Ping Png room, did you check the Ping speed. 

Most of the items we have are to make it easy for me as I cannot get about much, the Ring2 doorbell is very handy as it has a camera, I get a warning on my mobile if someone comes down the drive and I can open it up and chat to them if needs be. I am coming allow me time etc.

Unfortunately my router is a long way from the PC and Laptop, a long way from train room, hence the ac extenders. I also have wi-fi plugs in sun louge and bedroom as these have extenders built in for the central heating wi-fi radiator stats.  Must have best signal for central heating stats when using wi-fi. It is a good system, you can heat the home (doors open) or plan the heating in each room separately with as amnt time changes as you like in each. If a door is shut the room becomes a zone, great for the sun room as these have always been problems and should have their own heating separate to the house/home. This way I have one heating system, so more economical, and control each room according to usage and time of day. I also have IFTTT with it so that when wife and myself goes out, heating drops to 16c on all radiators, and switches back to original settings when we are coming back and are two mile form home. 

Technology should always make life easier or more enjoyable. I think.

Totally agree, wish i had the wearwithall  to afford to keep up.. Heather is reading a book where, without warning, the world loses Electricity, on a permanent basis. That would be you, in a right mess, methinks. We cannot have  Alexa, does not work in france.

Totally agree, wish i had the wearwithall  to afford to keep up.. Heather is reading a book where, without warning, the world loses Electricity, on a permanent basis. That would be you, in a right mess, methinks. We cannot have  Alexa, does not work in france.

When electric goes off, gas boilers stop also. What heating do you have, oil, bottle gas or wood burner?

Steam trains are good form of heat generation John ;o)

Alexa is very handy, especially as we get older...

Alexa remind me in half an hour to play trains, (don't need this one)

Alexa remind me in 10 minutes to check the Pizza

etc, etc

TRY Alexa when will Hornby launch Loco Detection... 

I bet she says... I don't know that one LOL

Enjoying the Alexa references PJ...

Don't think you'll keep her long so worrying about registering her as a resident may not be necessary when we leave the 'EU' as she'll be 'longing for home' at Amazon warheouses ready for resale to whomever in Europe wants her LOL. Oh, except France it seems.... 😛 😎

AC wireless as I am sure you will be aware, but others maybe not, works on a slightly different principle to that of a, b, g and n type. While they all scan 360 degrees with a signal to find their target and keeps broadcasting at that, wireless AC does that too but once it finds its target it sends the vast bulk of its signal in a narrow oval (rugby ball shape) and proceeds to do that at all times directly to its target device.

I can see why you use wireless AC as opposed to the prior better 'n' and it obviously does some good. The better the equipment is made the better the signal and the better the pick-up as is obvious. Most, however, are not up to scratch and once the pennies are spent on this type of item how do you prove to your reseller it doesn't work as it should? I hardly think they'll take a trip to one's household to check for themselves but a good retailer will exchange for something else.

In my modest abode I use cables which are well hidden and the range is nothing to worry about so wireless, although used, is not used for anything critical... merely a laptop or two or our mobiles etc. I also use a Draytek 2862ac router which is nothing like the ordinary home routers one would normally get from an ISP or whatever but then I run my business from home and require this for security when remoting to client servers etc.

At the end of the day if an extender works then it works and that's how it should be but, like everything else in life, nothing is perfect and we need to do our research before buying stuff like this... otherwise buyer beware.

Just a couple of facts re wireless AC:

• It uses the 5GHz range as opposed to the widely used g or n ranges which uses 2.4 GHz therefore any signal rises above the lower frequencey and is not affected in any way thus the signal is clear to find its target.
  • Max Throughput: Wireless G - 54 Mbps / Wireless N - 600-900 Mbps / Wireless AC - 1200-5300 Mbps
  • Wireless Range: (Radius) Wireless G - 75 feet / Wireless N -200 feet / Wireless AC - 500 feet
  • Wireless Channel Width: Wireless G - 20 MHz / Wireless N - 20/40 MHz / Wireless AC - 20/40/80/160 MHz

AC is backward compatible with g and n but obviously will be brought down to the 2.4GHz range, or lower, to work alongside, and dependant upon, its companion.

Newer mobiles are fitted with the newer wireless AC (usually co-existing with n as standard) and I can confirm that the differences are night and day.

Good reply AC and good to get the message out, I wasn't aware of the AC until I did my research. 

For me being disabled, cannot get down to put a plug in, and if I did I need help getting up! Anything that simplified the issue all the better, asking the wife to this and that with wires in not good, it can be very frustrating for both of us. 

The TP-LINK AC1750 is dual band also, so great for 5gHz items but also great for 2.4gHz items like Wiser heating hub etc. It does it all for me, but having two extenders it givesds me 5 channels for wi-fi, the router, 2x 5gHz and 2x 2.4gHz. Mobile phones and tablets move seemlessly as we move around the home. The set up as it is gives me router in one corner of the home and extenders in two other corners, well covered. 

For me ethernet cables everywhere is not feasible, one I cannot do it myself, two we only moved in this place in June and so much work has been done for us, and finally whether the cables are surface mounted or in trunking they are unsightly. Same with the Sonos speakers, there is just a mains cable, no speaker wires they are all wi-fi. 

Thank you for your reply, you know a lot more than I ever will on this subject, it is good to share and let others know what is available, to advantages and disadvantages etc.

Thanks Chrissaf for your understanding, the thread is not hijacked just borrowed ;o)

Back to the thread.

PJ

Archived