Loco Detection - Different Methods and Systems

RDS

Meanwile, TrainTech are moving forward, if Hornby don't have word in LD my Easter next year I think I can see myself adapting to TT. 4 to 5 years at least since LD was mentioned, we are all getting older and can't wait forever for a proposed, coming soon system, that has never come.

Hi PJ,

I notice that TrainTech are advertising "Track Sensor Plus", available this month ...

https://www.dcpexpress.com/st10-track-sensor-plus-preorder-p-788.html

I wonder if Hornby could collaborate with TrainTech with a view to making use of it in Railmaster.....

Ray

Meanwile, TrainTech are moving forward, if Hornby don't have word in LD my Easter next year I think I can see myself adapting to TT. 4 to 5 years at least since LD was mentioned, we are all getting older and can't wait forever for a proposed, coming soon system, that has never come.

Hi PJ,

I notice that TrainTech are advertising "Track Sensor Plus", available this month ...

https://www.dcpexpress.com/st10-track-sensor-plus-preorder-p-788.html

I wonder if Hornby could collaborate with TrainTech with a view to making use of it in Railmaster.....

Ray

Hi Ray

I got an email from them and took a look at their products. Signals and feathers improved now with motion detection, there are several videos on there, one shows 4x 4 aspect signals and a loco go past them, changing the signals as they should. A simple wire connection between signals makes it so easy to do.

I need to go back and learn more, probably look for chat on other forums about the TT system.

The disadvantage I see so far, I have only skipped over it and watched the videos to date, is that they are new signals with sensors built in not all the ones we have aready purchased. I haven't yet read on the Plus sensor.

Nice to chat with you guys again

PJ

you newly located southern people must have plenty of money to throw at new layouts. Us old guys are re building 3 rail Dublo, being cost  careful

When you move south John, property is more expensive so you have less. 

But as I always say, you can't take it with you.

My layout is planned in Hornby Trackmaster, the revised, revision is now ready, proper up and down lines this time with lots of cross overs and a few hidden sidings. It will be easier to run trains, plan routes etc.

Hopefully I will get help to make the boards and supports early in the new year. Something to look forward to John. 

PJ, i was a Brightonian, as was Heather. We also lived in Southampton, and Weymouth,, before moving north. We took it with us.  Took more with us by moving to France. Trouble is, you live up to your means. Still dont have enough funds for Train tech, or Loco Detection though.   Roger and BB bought their boards from a custom supplier.  They may be able to give you the supplier. Dont think they were over expensive, well, not for southerners.

PJ, i was a Brightonian, as was Heather. We also lived in Southampton, and Weymouth,, before moving north. We took it with us.  Took more with us by moving to France. Trouble is, you live up to your means. Still dont have enough funds for Train tech, or Loco Detection though.   Roger and BB bought their boards from a custom supplier.  They may be able to give you the supplier. Dont think they were over expensive, well, not for southerners.

Living in France John, the odds are you are probably more southern than the rest of us. LOL

The layout isn;t straight forward, if I can find the share your layout link I will upload an image of the proposed layout.

For me I have to be able to reach all areas easily, I cannot lean over far at all. So it is design with that in mind and all areas viewable from where I am sad=t. Except the hidden sidings LOL, tht area will have a lightwiehgt lify off section. 

Are you man or mouse, get your Jet Ski out. You wanted to be a born again southerner, deserting Bentham. I used to work there, one day per week.

With my power wheelchair to get around John I sometimes wonder. We do what we can do, sadly our mind is still in our youth but our bodies are not. 

Here is the link to the proposed Layout #3. Not got a name for it yet. That's a first also. ;o)

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/members-layouts-area/ 

You will see the boards are not square/oblong and the areas for me to hobble are only about 2' but I should be able to access it all (when done)

I can highly recommend Model Railway Solutions of Poole. As was said earlier I bought all my boards from MRS, as did Roger B. They come in kit form - frame and top - I built a 6x2 board in an hour - it all slots together, then glued and screwed, and then the top is added - I think, without looking at their site, the choice was 6mm or 9mm ply. Once completed they are very sturdy - legs are an optional extra. Probably not the cheapest, but once finished and in place, they should last a lifetime. BB

https://flic.kr/p/2cyTnAm

This topic had changed from the original posting!!  I use the latest train "detection" system - 20/20 vision!

I can highly recommend Model Railway Solutions of Poole. As was said earlier I bought all my boards from MRS, as did Roger B. They come in kit form - frame and top - I built a 6x2 board in an hour - it all slots together, then glued and screwed, and then the top is added - I think, without looking at their site, the choice was 6mm or 9mm ply. Once completed they are very sturdy - legs are an optional extra. Probably not the cheapest, but once finished and in place, they should last a lifetime. BB

This topic had changed from the original posting!!  I use the latest train "detection" system - 20/20 vision!

Thanks BB

I used to live in Poole, moved back north due to ill health and family with vascular demntia. We now live in Poole again, I am aware of MRS and am pretty sure I know where they are, I will look online first, then may see if I can call on them.

Price will no doubt be the main factor, I either pay a friend to do it or consider their system and labour cost.

Many thanks for your suggestion, yourself and Roger.

Nice set of images on Flickr BB

Metcalfe Models are everywhere, no surprise they are great models and look the part.

You put a lot of work into your layout BB, looks good. I also like the lights in the brick arches.

Thanks for sharing the pictures BB

Nice set of images on Flickr BB

Metcalfe Models are everywhere, no surprise they are great models and look the part.

You put a lot of work into your layout BB, looks good. I also like the lights in the brick arches.

Thanks for sharing the pictures BB

Thanks PJ - The lights on the fiddle yard wall were really added for a bit of fun, just to see what it looked like. Only took a few minutes to do - two strips of copper tape with a pre-wired LED threaded into the top of each arch, soldered to the tape, and then a wire from the tape to a voltage regulator - I can turn them up and down with regards brilliance. I do have some yard lamps to add to the fiddle yard (the same as round the turntable) - another job on the to do list!  Flickr account is almost all model railway - no personal stuff - so feel free to view whenever you like. BB

@bulleidboy

I like to see the scenery, buildings, bridges, retain walls, etc. I also like the backround scenes, had then on the last layout, will definately have on the new layout.

I mentioned the arches and the lighting because they probably are not as in real life but, the effect made the area look really good. Well I thought so. 

Still no new emoticons! I wanted to add the thumbs up.

Well done BB

If anyone wants an LD nostalgia trip, have a read of this very old thread (2013) on another forum...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79982-hornbys-railmaster-loco-detection-system/

I wonder if it will be anything like the same as described - if and when it comes out.

Rob

There maybe changes Rob, called improvements. 

But one thing we can be sure will change and that is the proposed prices. LOL

This thread has certainly wandered again from the simple list of dates.

Rob, the RMWeb thread is interesting in that it distills the far more extensive coverage you can find in here with a search on LD or Loco Detection, albeit leaving out an amount of greater detail. There is nothing new in the thread that hasn’t already been covered here, it even hints at Hornby’s advice that they were heading down a particular technology path but then had a brainwave that sent them off in another direction. That direction clearly goes via Never Never Land as we’ve heard nothing from them since. 

Fishy the flashback was just to remind folk how old this project is and what the prices of the various declared bits were at that time. Goodness knows what the prices will be now.

PJ seems to have an insight behind the scenes so maybe he can trickle the odd snippet through to the forum - NDA allowing of course If he is so bound.

Rob

This thread has certainly wandered again from the simple list of dates.

Rob, the RMWeb thread is interesting in that it distills the far more extensive coverage you can find in here with a search on LD or Loco Detection, albeit leaving out an amount of greater detail. There is nothing new in the thread that hasn’t already been covered here, it even hints at Hornby’s advice that they were heading down a particular technology path but then had a brainwave that sent them off in another direction. That direction clearly goes via Never Never Land as we’ve heard nothing from them since. 

There is nothing new here Fishy, that said I think there may be something new, even if it is only the discussion on price when it is launched compared to the price 'once' quoted.

As for Never Never Land, never say never, Hornby may not have said anything about LD for a long time, but they have also not said 'Never'.

There is some good news if we read between the lines, I think, some posts may be on topic, some may be not, but it is after all an old thread, but the good news is this, and Hornby should also take note, it is that after this massive period of time, without comment from Hornby for half of it, there is still interest in LD with RM. 

That I feel is good news. 

Eureka!

(Back on topic I have placed a new date)

I dont know about never never land, but i do tend to think we are all wasting our time. Anything they had in mind originally, will now be so far behind the times as to be obselete, with other systems about to launch. It would be far more sensible to tie up with one of these. Whilst i am content with RM, it is now, quite dated.  May be a new RM, with all bells and whistles, is on the horizon

Archived