(Another) Newbie Car Problem

cdhill

Hi all, I purchased my kids the Arc One Ultimate Rivals set for Christmas which has a BMW Z4 GT3 and Mercedes AMG GT3 car.  

The BMW works perfectly normally, accelearting away with a small press on the controller, and getting faster as you press it more.  However the Mercedes car requires the trigger on the controller to be virtually fully depressed before it moves, and is then extremely sensitive - you can still make it go fast enough to come off the track, despite it being nearly all the way in before it moves.

I have tried switching cars, lanes, controllers etc. and the Mercedes car is the issue.  It is quite problematic as my youngest (3yrs) isn't able to control the speed, but the power limiter on the controller doesn't work because you have to press the controller in further than the limiter just to get it to work.

Any ideas?  It was an Amazon purchase, and I have got in touch with the vendor but they aren't being that helpful so far beyond replacing the whole set which is a bit of a pain.  Does it sound like a faulty car or is there something else I can try to fix it?

P.s. apart from the Mercedes issue it is immense......and just as much fun as I remember it from my childhood!!

Hi cdhill - welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas!

Nice diagnostics there, but disappointing the Mercedes car is not working properly. The two cars should be similar in performance. One suggestion is to a have a quick fiddle with the braid plate. Sometimes it can shift forward slightly, meaning you get a poor connection and can cause something similar to what you describe. Just make sure it is centred on the guide assembly it sits on (should be the final diagram of the 'Changing the Braids' page on the set instruction sheet). That probably means pushing the plate back into the notch in the front of the guide.

If that doesn't work, call Scalextric Customer Services asap (details here: www.scalextric.com/uk-en/contact). Big vendors usually only offer to replace a set (or offer a refund), whereas Customer Services should offer to replace the car.

I'm glad you're enjoying the set despite the faulty car. I think ARC One (and the other ARCs) really adds something to the fun.

The guide plate comes off often (and messes up the braids) when you pull a slotcar backwards.

Then it can land on the rails causing the powerbase to fault off and then need resetting to play again.

Spent boxing day explaining to younger racers to not pull the toys backwards but kids do get excited.

With the ARC One powerbase, it might sometimes help to unplug it and then restart it if there is a short circuit. But that's not what you are describing. Everything seems to be working fine, apart from the Mercedes. Definitely worth checking that braid plate and - if it doesn't fix things - contacting Customer Services.

Are you using the arc app ?

Are the tires trying to move before it moves ?

Would you please hold the rear end slightly off the track and then retest the toy with a normal set controller ?

Is the car clean of rug threads ?

Can you turn the rear wheels when the power is off ?

Sounds like a bad connection either because of the braids as woodcote said or the wiring internally.

If you know how to use an ohm meter (voltmeter) you can check using that.

Alternatively use a 9 volt battery to see if the motor runs better when the power is applied directly to the motor (you may may need to use a small bit of wire to connect to the motor).

If the motor seems to run as fast as the other car when directly connected but slower when running from the braids then there is a loose wire somewhere.

If for some reason there is a digital plub installed it may causing problems too. Since ARC ONE is analog only removing the plug will help.

Archived