Chrome painted 28XX

81F

I have come across a number of Hornby (China made) 8Fs on ebay (some at quite reasonable prices compared to conventional ones.

Had there just been the odd one fr4oma single seller I would have assumed that this was a repaint by a previous owner, but I've seen more than one from different sellers, the last being a bodyshell only.

Does anyone know anything about these?

• 2 weeks later...

Cool! 😎

I have never seen one of those before. I actually fancy getting one, actually. Oh dear! 😮 😆 😉 😀

The eBay link posted by atom3624 on Posted at 10:37:59 Mon, 28 Jan 2019, looks to me that's a Great Britain made model, due to the fact it has the shorter in length coupiling hooks.

Also, the eBay listing says "factory sample", so is it a factory sample or is it a gift to those who retired from working at Hornby Hobbies?

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Gents, does it matter? !!

It's a nice gesture if a little weird, from Hornby - or was as it appears to have been for Margate products.

Not certain if I'd run one on my track - I suppose it's never intended to be - and imagine seeing a full sized locomotive chrome plated? !!

Al.

I am doubtful they are originals, the finish in areas seems poor, not up to Margate standard at all.  They were given as retirement and special occasion gifts to staff, the finish would have been to a very high standard.   The ones I have seen on ebay don't look that well finished, the tender finish is poor in places, one driving wheel has chrome traces on it and two cabside number transfers are out of position.

Not chrome painted but chrome effect plastic plated just like the chrome bumpers, grilles and lights parts found in Airfix car kits of old.

If you look at the eBay listing it says Made in England on the bottom of the Scottie.

Or is that a question to an answer someone already asked.??? I’ll ask my typing parrot.

Rob

@ Atom3624,  Why Oh Dear? - Lets just say they've just got a bit rarer!

I bought one off ebay about a year ago for around £50 I thoiught it was just a custom paint job. However, as the body was damaged (bent boiler stays missing front buffer and the whole boiler was comming away/unstuck, I broke it up for spares after an attempted repaint went wrong!

It appeared to have been chrome plated all over - even the glasing and was in a box meant for a green one. The seller described it as appearing to be originally green but resprayed. The finish was quite good apart from the lack of care with the glasing

It appears you can spray chrome plating but at a price...

https://shop.pchrome.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=143

This talks to various other shiny coating options..

https://www.pchrome.com/5-ways-can-turn-plastic-chrome/

The tatty finish on the pictures I saw, particularly the tender sides, indicate to me that model was probably a proof of process test model and that there was further technique tweaking required to get a decent finish.

Rob

@Margate-Richmond

Don't forget that that the Flying Scotsman is most certainly over 20 years old. Who has owned it? Has it been looked after? These are questions you will never know the answer to, but the poor finish look, could be due to lack of care of the model. Somebody may of scratched the locomotive in some way.

It looks like an original to me. I have seen repainted locomotives being sold in real life and on eBay and they don't look even half as good as factory painted locomotives and the finsih to me on the chrome Flying Scotsman that's for sale on eBay does look original to me.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I approach this with an enormous amount of skepticism.

The seller describes this as a ‘one-off’ yet when I searched eBay when this thread started (curiosity only, no intention to buy) there were a number of ‘chrome-plated’ locos offered and all at the same ridiculouslay extortionate price.

In my opinion this is someone with a rattle can of paint and a get rich quick scheme to scam gullible buyers.

And yes, they look awful.

In my opinion this is someone with a rattle can of paint and a get rich quick scheme to scam gullible buyers.

Do you think I need to give this chrome plated(-ish) one another coat of flash paint and a rub with a duster before I flog it to top up my pension, or will it do as is. I could probably get away with saying the rods were gold plated paint as well and chuck in a tin of Halfords touch up for the tender.

/media/tinymce_upload/ae13239cecab3a4a5653e565ea2cf8d9.JPG