Class 40 TTS No Sound ??

MarsdenHall

My Class 40 TTs decoder which went for a trip to UK early last year for a firmware update has been sitting quietly in the MPD for the last few months and today I went to use it on the layout and noticed no sound. Everything else works but not a squeak out of it. It went to the programming track (I use JMRI and Digitrax) and I carried out a reset at CV8 with 8 and 5 but still no sound. The connections to the speaker are OK as is the speaker. 

I also tried in JMRI to re-read the decoder and it does not recognise the Class 40 definition which I know is OK

I am loathe to send it back to UK so I am open to any suggestions before relegating it to the spares bin and getting a replacement from Hattons

Peter

Did it work when you first installed it after the firmware update, before it went into ‘storage’.

The Class 40 should be in JMRI as beejack on here was responsible for updating all available TTS files upto and including the Vent Ven just recently.

Go here to read about it and then ensure you have loaded the latest files.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136936-tts-decoders-updated-jmri-decoder-file-new-vent-van-decoder-definition-created/

Try adjusting the master volume on the main as it may be set at zero. CV182, if no response try CV184 or CV189.

Here is a comprehensive source of information about TTS problems https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130708-hornby-tts-topics/  Well worth a full read through.

You guys having problems installing TTS into a Class 37 should also have a read.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes it was working well after the firmware update. The master volume is at 4 and I have the latest JMRI update (4.15.2). I have ordered a replacement from that well known place in Widnes.I will have to check all my other TTS fitted locos (Class 37, 31) to make sure they dont have the same problem

Thanks for the reply

Peter

Class 31 has had recent problems. Search the forums for it.

Class 37 had problems in the very early days with reversed logic directional lighting.

This is where a decoder test rig comes in handy as you can rule out any associated loco faults. I use an ESU unit, also discussed on the forum somewhere.

Rob

I have the ESU pogrammer also the Digitrax Soundloader and while that cannot touch the sound files its a great CV reader and writer. I use all 3 systems (incl JMRI ) when having decoder problems. I can also use the Digitrax hand throttle to read and write CV's.

(I also sent back Class 37 and 31 decoders for a firmware upgrade last year)

Peter

Did you get any response on the alternative master volume CVs.

Of interest what is CV7 reading back.

Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 resets to get a dormant decoder to wake up. I had another make decoder that died in the box but left powered up for a while it came out of ‘storage’.

Rob

I have the following CV values

CV7 = 48

CV7 and CV8 are reversed. Value 48 is CV8 code for Hornby Hobbies

CV8=132

CV7 = 132 is decoder firmware ID. Read this in conjunction with CV159 and you can ID the loco type.

CV182=4

CV182 is normal master volume. Value 4 is default (range 0 to 8).

CV184=4

CV184 is offset location of master volume on a small batch of errant decoders.

CV189=255 (This CV not listed in JMRI, what its function?)

CV189 is offset location of master volume on a very recent batch of errant decoders.

I only asked for the latter values to see if changing them had an effect on actual volume and if so which one.

If you are sure the speaker and its connections are OK , then the decoder is likely to be U/S.

Rob

I have the following CV values

CV7 = 48

CV7 and CV8 are reversed. Value 48 is CV8 code for Hornby Hobbies

CV8=132

CV7 = 132 is decoder firmware ID. Read this in conjunction with CV159 and you can ID the loco type.

CV182=4

CV182 is normal master volume. Value 4 is default (range 0 to 8).

CV184=4

CV184 is offset location of master volume on a small batch of errant decoders.

CV189=255 (This CV not listed in JMRI, what its function?)

CV189 is offset location of master volume on a very recent batch of errant decoders.

I only asked for the latter values to see if changing them had an effect on actual volume and if so which one.

If you are sure the speaker and its connections are OK , then the decoder is likely to be U/S.

Rob

Rob,

thanks for that explanation also my typo with CV7 and CV8.

After more resetting still nothing so the speaker wires will be removed and the decoder becomes a non-sound spare

Peter

How did you check that the speaker was working? Or were you assuming that because the wires were connected, it was ok?

No assumptions. I unsoldered the speaker from the wire, tested with an ohmmeter also tried the old 1.5v battery test to hear the clicks. The speaker is in better nick than the decoder.

Peter

The replacement decoder arrived today from that well known place in Widnes. Fitted it and the Class 40 has sound again. I am still not sure while it failed but I will store it in my non-powered storage sidings instead of the MPD.

The old decoder is now fitted to my Class 23 

Peter

Archived