Class 67 TTS slow running and other problems

Sultan

Hi.  Me again I'm afraid.

I am not sure whether I am expecting too much from Hornby'sTTS decodesr but following the recent problems experinced fitting the R8104 Class 60 TTS decoder to the class 60 I have now fitted a R8105 decoder to the class 67, 67003, included in the R3399 EWS freight train pack.

I have to say that the performance is VERY disappointing.  I kno wit is a budget decoder but it doies have to be fit for purpose.  Fitting a Hornby decoder to a Hornby loco should be plug and play.  I know I use NCE PowerCab DCC controller and not a Hornby Elite or Select but that really should make no difference.

So, what is the problem.  Pressing F1 the loco goes through start up and teh engine settle sto idle in a very 'notchy' manner - not a smooth transition.  So turning the controller up to step 3 the air brake sounds.  Turning further to step 6 the airbrake sounds again and then the revs increase quite quickly but theloc moves Oh so very slowly. By step 10 the engine sound is at thrash but the loco is still crawling.

If this is the standard of TTS decoders then I think I will have to seriously consider ditching sound.  I have three other dcc sound fitted locos a Bachmann class 37 with factory fitted ESU Loksound v3.5 with a Howes Reblow nad two Dapol class 52 Westerns with Legomanbiffo sounds on ESU Loksound V4 21 pins.  They are superb and I diod not have to make any adjustments to with any of them.  They worked straight from the box.

I find the whole thing very disappointing.

@chrissaf

Thanks for pinting me in this direction.

I did try this briefly and it did make some changes although control on a 600mm lngth of programming track was not easy.  I will have another go this evening using programming on the main.

As I said in my original post it should be as simple as 'plug and play'.  At the moment I am put off buying any more TTS decoders.

You can alter the ‘gear change’ points (see manual section 6 - Engine Sounds Transition Configuration) using CVs210-215 in a TTS decoder.

This notch transition adjustment takes a bit of getting your head round but may be the answer to your problem.

It is worth reading back the set values in the loco and compare with the default values in the user manual - in order CVs210-215 should be 5 - 5 - 30 - 5 - 60 - 5.

Rob

I'm not familiar with the TTS CV's, but have you inadvertently selected the 'heavy load' rather than the 'light engine' acceleration settings? If the loco has an imaginary 1000 tons on the back, it won't take off like a greyhound!

I don't think the TTS has that facility but if it did it would be very useful   😉

You can alter the ‘gear change’ points (see manual section 6 - Engine Sounds Transition Configuration) using CVs210-215 in a TTS decoder.

This notch transition adjustment takes a bit of getting your head round but may be the answer to your problem.

It is worth reading back the set values in the loco and compare with the default values in the user manual - in order CVs210-215 should be 5 - 5 - 30 - 5 - 60 - 5.

Rob

Hi Rob, 

I have read and reread that section and I think that may be wherein the problem lies.  Unfortunately I don't think I have the skill or the will to go down that road.  As the loco and the decoder are within guaratntee I may try getting Hornby to sort it.

I will do a reset and check the CV readings tonight.

I can only agree with you sultan. I have stopped buying the TTS decoders because of the amount of problems which appear to be endemic with them. In my opinion like you i think they should be plug and play without having to resort to complex alterations to CVs. I to now only use the more expensive decoders you mention, and yes they are more expensive but in the end you only get what you pay for.

@backontrack

I am certainly vearing towards this.  I saw the TTS decoder as a cheaper way of having some sound fitted locos on my layout,  being a hydraulic fan I would not normally sped £100 plus on a sound decoder for a class 60 or 67 but the pricing o fteh TTS decoders seemed a good deal or perhaps 'too good to be true' and you know that means.

How is your normal non-enthusiast Dad with a child supposed to cope with all this CV tinkering?

I think Hornby need to revisit the product.

If I can't get smooth running I shall ebay the chips and probably buy a Legomanbiffo  ESU V4 sound decoder for one of my Hymeks 😎

How is the normal non-enthusiast Dad with a child supposed to cope with all this CV tinkering?

CVs are provided to tinker with. The defaults are established to allow a factory decoder to work well with a matching factory loco.

I have more trouble with my smart TV, PC, washing machine and techno-car than I do with my model railway stuff.

"CVs are provided to tinker with. The defaults are established to allow a factory decoder to work well with a matching factory loco."

and this is what is NOT happening  ☹️

If that is the case then I suggest as it is a Hornby decoder installed in a matching Hornby loco that you call HCC and ask if you can send it back for an f.o.c. check over, as there may be a mechanical or other issue causing the slow running .

Rob

"CVs are provided to tinker with. The defaults are established to allow a factory decoder to work well with a matching factory loco."

and this is what is NOT happening  ☹️

If that is the case then I suggest as it is a Hornby decoder installed in a matching Hornby loco that you call HCC and ask if you can send it back for an f.o.c. check over, as there may be a mechanical or other issue causing the slow running .

Rob

I may very well do that yet.

What I find totally bemusing is that the loco runs like a dream with the sound off!

Symptoms of there being a short on the sound circuit somewhere? I would check that the decoder and speaker don’t have any conductive parts touching others or there are no breaks in the speaker wire insulation

Archived