R920 Insulating fishplates

Durham Boy

I am new to all this, so be gentle with me please - I realise that this will be well below the paygrade of many forum readers  but  I would welcome advice about the fitting of these insulating fishplates please: while they seem (relatively) easy to place onto the faces of the points it seems surprisingly difficult to achieve joining the two points together without the plastic either bending or breaking (or both), partivularly when attaching to the rest of the layout.   At least I now understand why these are sold in packs of 12.  Any suggestions would be most helpful - the fact that, if fitted, it seems impossible to re-align up the rest of the layout as laid down to fit looks like tomorrow's problem.  Thanks in advance...........

If you have one, slide a 3mm jeweler's screwdriver into the plastic fishplate first, to stretch it a little, then before the plastic can shrink again, slide it onto the rail. (It helps a little if you don't keep them in the freezer!  😛  ) They are very fiddly. A mere trace of soapy water also helps the plastic to slide along the rail.

• 2 years later...

I have only started into Model railway hobby since this time last year and have the complete track mat setup. I have download the excellent Getting Started (Sets and Track Extension Packs), posted in a sticky by Chrissaf.

I am stuck on page 16 installing the Isolating Fishplates onto the R8073 Right Hand Point. I have no idea how this is accomplished, and there is little to no information on the internet of how to do this, only replacing metal fishplates.

Thanks in advance for any help.

An insulated fishplate is exactly the same as a metal one with respect to fitting.

You pull off the existing but redundant metal fishplate at the locations indicated by Chris and replace it with a plastic one.

I find side cutting snips can be used end on, then grip the metal fishplate base with the snip blades in the groove. They can be stiff to remove and you must be careful not to pop the rails out of the sleepers, especially at points.

• 2 weeks later...