Recommended DCC Controllers

Guest Chrissaf

Hi chaps,

At the moment I have a MERG control system but no layout at the moment, work in progress.

I notice there are quite a few dcc control systems with varying prices.

I would be interested to see what systems people use and recommend.

Hope I am in the correct place.

Thank you,

Michael. 

Although it is permitted for members to say what system they use. It is not permitted for users to make 'recommendation' claims for them. Look to the listed 'Forum Rules' on the right (PC screen) where it says 'Active Promotion' of non Hornby brands is not permitted. This is deemed to be applicable where they compete directly with Hornby products. Some leeway is given when recommending products that Hornby do not make or sell.

This question is best asked on an independent non manufacturers Model Railway forum such as RMWeb, Model Rail Forum and others. As this is a Hornby forum, only the Hornby brand of competing products can be 'actively promoted' which doesn't give you a true market picture of users personal purchase choices.

Sorry for that, I don't want to rock the boat. I will keep any future posts to Hornby related topics.

Its not a case of rocking the boat, it is as Chris says ‘you won’t get a true feel for the market out there’ From us. Folk on here use all sorts of kit And they can say they are happy with it, but we can’t say A is better than hornBy or C.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a second hand Elite that was broken, fortunately it was only a broken key. Fortunately, Hornby supplied a replacement (it was very nice of them). I was amazed how easy it was to use. I have been wriiting embedded software for about 20 years (I used to do it as a job), and was worried it would take hours to set up, as most things I have dealt with, do. I was really surprised how easy it was to get a DCC train moving, I have not tried any of the other functions, but if you are like me just want to get the train running and making sounds it is perfect. I like the interface with the rotary encoder and the push to accept. The menu system is intuative and logical. The only criticism is that the software for the rotary encoder is a bit iffy it misses the odd step, sometimes if your select a loco with the rotary encoder, it moves sometimes as you press it, but other than that it is perfect.

Colin

The rotary encoders are rate dependant so if you happen to nudge one it can ‘transmit‘.

They are also very sensitive when selecting a use and can alter the selected number as you press. I tend to hold the knob with the selecting hand whilst pressing to confirm with the other.

Archived