DCC fitting to older models

Showman6677

I don't know if your ringfield motor is the same as in my old locos, but there is a screw that connects one of the brushes to the chassis of the loco. You need to insulate this and provide a separate feed or else you might blow up the decoder.

There are 3 different types of Ringfield needing different conversion treatment.  Google Brian Lambert, go to his DCC pages where you’ll find the 3 covered including how. The screw is not a standard part. 

I think you may be lucky though because MR who sent your original reply is very knowledgeable to the extent he probably realised yours doesn’t need the screw. But you need to check as if you do have continuity from left brush to tender chassis, then you will blow up a fitted decoder, no might as ColinB suggested. 

Peters Spares have the nylon screws in their own number parts range but there is on the forum a link to some much cheaper ones.

I found the PS items a tad tight and needed careful ‘working’ to get them in without shearing.

RAF96, thank you for that but having taken the body off of the tender I see that I have a ringfield 2 motor with a brass plate held on by 3 screws. Would I be correct in thinking  that I need to replace al 3 screws to isolate the motor from the chassis?

Colin

Hi Colin

I am sure this needs confirming !!

On your R063s Tender are ALL wheels courrently insulated ie Tires and plastic backs to wheels ? IF YES then the answer is NO  as you will have 2 wires form the loco to the Tender ( left and right rails power) so the motor terminals are the grey and orange and the loco to tender feeds are black and red.

The loco /tender is a soldered but semi permanent link ... is that so with your loco ?

I have a Black 5 R061 which uses the mark 2 Ringfield  but it has only a single rail feed from the loco so the wiring would be different for me to convert to DCC .

I hope that is correct and useful.

Cheers

Derek

RAF96, thank you for that but having taken the body off of the tender I see that I have a ringfield 2 motor with a brass plate held on by 3 screws. Would I be correct in thinking  that I need to replace al 3 screws to isolate the motor from the chassis?

Colin

Follow Brian Lamberts guide for that ringfield variant. The nylon screw (singular) is used to isolate the left hand brush from the motor housing which is usually live to the wheel pickup.

Prime directive is both motor brushes MUST be isolated from the track pickups before hooking a decoder into the loop.

Hi RAF96.

I have been through BL guide but cannot find any info regarding this particular motor.

It has a brass plate covering a 3 pole armatur, and you need to remove this plate to access the brushes. The plate is held on by 3 brass screws. There is a capacitor soldered between the brush terminals and a wire from the drawbar soldered to one brush terminal. It is a live chassis with tyres on one side and a single feed from the loco.

colin

Hi Colin / Rob

The Spec sheet is 98A .... I have attempted an upload. ....it might help .... I think the Model 2 Ringfield in BL s Document is not the one you have.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Derek

/media/tinymce_upload/ed5e79fac8b52720cbd51add2b5e3023.jpg

Hi Derek,

thank you for the link and yes you are correct.

I found a different forum while trying to figure out how to do the conversion and there was a suggestion to isolate the brush caps but I couldn’t get into the link. I did find a phone number so I might give it a call tomorrow.

Is this something you’ve heard of?

colin 

This motor is sounding very familiar, the loco is 1970's not 80's. It is the mk2 early ringfield with the brass front plate and brass brush caps.  They are tricky to insulate, but can be done. The brush caps must not touch the brass faceplate. You solder the motor control wires (grey and orange) to the cylinders that hold the brushes rather than the caps (freezer spray is recommended as it stops any melting of the surrounding plastic). There should be no electrical connection between the live chassis (negative) and the faceplate. Nylon screws and washers will be needed, these can be found v.cheaply from electronic suppliers and on ebay, much cheaper than model shop suppliers. Use of a multi-meter is essential.

Hi Colin

You could try the Brian Lambert's suggestion of "heatshrink" around the screwheads/shoulders if you can't locate decent nylon screws . I don't think isolating the brush caps a good idea. It is very tricky sometimes replacing brushes and springs on this motor  , so go gently , slowly and good luck.

Let us all know how you get on please especially if you are successful with the conversion.

(Another option is to use a later tender which has the later Ringfield 2 which BL is describing )

BFN

Derek

To Derek123, Fishmanoz and Margare-Richmond,

I thank you all for your advice and I will start by taking the easy option and buying myself a later tender that is easier to convert.

Derek, thank you for the upload. It is the upper R063 diagram.

If I am able to find a solution to converting the earlier motor, I will come back with the information.

cheers for now 

Colin

Archived