DCC DECODER R8249 / R8245

KenTheFox

I'm new to DCC but not a thick witt as had Zero 1 in 1979/80 when it frist came out with 16 locos running on it but stopped modeling in 87 and just restarted about 3 months ago. 

My question is

1) On 8249 / 8245 I can see 8249 chips for sale on the Hornby shop but not the 8245 have they stopped sale of them?  If not why are they not selling them?

2) On 8106 TTS for A3 loco do you have to fit a 8245/49 as well as the 8106 TTS or does the 8106 TTS do the job of the 8245 as well? I can't find anything on fitting of TTS that says yes or no?

I would guess the 8106 incorpriates both control & sound but there is no info that mades it clear.

Cheers Kenthefox

Q1) This is the current entry in the shop for the R8245.

/media/tinymce_upload/165fe6b0849dbae108a399fc8899716f.jpg

This is usually Hornby speak for "we have sold / distributed all our stock of this item and currently do not have any replenishment orders placed with a manufacturer". This can sometimes mean that the item is obsolete, but this usually results with this page showing 'discontinued' rather than the term 'no longer available'. More often than not, the item does eventually come back into stock once Hornby have placed orders with the supplier, but this can sometimes take 1 or 2 years. The R8247 decoder is a case in point, where the R8247 once showed a similar page to above for over a year, but is now available again.

Q2) This is an extract from a typical TTS decoder user guide [in this case a Class 40]. It clearly shows (highlighted) motor control is a featured function.

/media/tinymce_upload/4fb963030dcb1c061a8b9593affe37e1.jpg

The reason that you cannot find mentioned in general documentation that the TTS decoder 'does/does not' need a second motor control decoder as well. Is because Hornby probably thought that this was so obvious, that it didn't need mentioning.

If a TTS decoder didn’t do motor control why would they have extensive instructions in the readily available blurb about adjustng motor characteristics then.

Reminds me of the need to have instructions that say ‘do not put your pet in the microwave to dry it’.

All well and good if you have bought one..........

Below is an extract from the R8106 TTS Decoder product page on this Hornby website. Clearly indicates that motor control is part of the decoder. And since this web page is in the 'public domain' you don't need to make a TTS purchase to see it.

/media/tinymce_upload/a573a2dc95bf840faa78e322bd43ea20.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/27610cfb9e7a12a5b7cb9e9c32dfcd06.jpg

The information is there for all to see, if one looks close enough.

Archived