1A20 Headcode/Reporting number

81F

Some of you may notice that this is the reporting number used on most of the Hornby/Triang Hymeks, but I have just noticed that it is used on my green LIMA DMU.

I'm pretty certain it is Western region, but does anyone know which train it actually referred to as I find it odd that it is on both a loco and DMU of a similar period.

Am I corrct in thinking 1 = Passenger and A = towards Londont?

Yes.

1 is Express Passenger, and a few other selected classes of train.

A is usually towards London. Except in Scotland it seems, when it is towards Aberdeen...

The 20 would refer to that particular train, in the working timetables.

Ian Allen published some ABC guides to headcodes.

Not recently though....the later 1960s I think.

Very comprehensive, for such a small book.

It also lists the Southern Region codes.

Also the Steam type lamp codes.

We have a couple of editions in our reference library.

Which is not with me just now!

Headcodes are a very complicated topic.

The 4 character headcode / train description evolved from 1960 onwards, before that most locomotives on all regions apart from rhe Southern carried discs or lamps showing the class of train.

The London Midland Region used a board which displayed the train description in letters and numbers hung from the lamp iron / smokebox door handle to amplify the headlamp code.  These were paper numbers stuck on to a wooden board.

The Southern displayed discs in six different positions which indicated the route, not the class of train. Electric trains carried two digit number codes, originally metal stencils on an opal (white) glass frame, but later as roller blinds

The Western Region displayed a three figure number boldly in a frame attached to the middle of the smoke box door. New WR diesels at first carried discs but some had a three digit roller blind to display the same codes.

Early DMMUs carried two digit route numbers these were very complex and varied from region to region.

By 1962 many more diesel and electric locomotives and some multiple units were able to display the full four character display. Also more power signalboxes were being opened which used the four digit numbers to describe trains between workstatioins and adjacent signalboxes.

The standard form of the headcode was -

First position, the class of train. 1 being an express passenger train, 2 being an ordinary passenger train,  3 being a parcels train and so on.  

Second Position, the destination area, displayed as a letter, which varied from region to region. Trains travelling from one region to another  used certain special letters, thus trains to the Eastern Region carried E,  trains to the London Midland carried M, trains to the North Eastern region carried N, trains to the Southern region carried O, trains to the Scottish Region carried S, trains to rhe Western Region carried V, the Royal train and out of gauge loads carried X and special inter-regional trains and excursions carried Z.

The regional second characters followed a sort of pattern, on the Western Region, and London Midland Region A would be trains destined for the London Area (Euston area on the LM), and letters futher up the alphabet were allocated to districts progressively further from London. On the Eastern and North Eastern regions A represented East Coast Main line services, but then other letters were allocated to trains destined to individual districts.

The third and fourth digit , generally speaking were a route code, class 1 trains carried individual numbers so  1A20. would be an express train destined to Paddington, but to identify the actual train reference would be necessary to the working timetable.

A similar rule applied to the London Midland region so 1A20 would be an express service destined to Euston.

On the East Coast main line trains wholly within the Eastern and North Eastern regions carried A, but like the other regions each train carried an individual number. However until the regions merged N would be a train from the Eastern Region going to the North Eastern, and E for a North Eastern service destined to Kings Cross.

Headcodes were discontinued by the early to mid 1970s, it is remarkable that the new 252 HST power car introduced 1972 does not have a provision for it. The numbers were set to 0O00 at first then replaced by two white circles in a black background.

Further to LC&DR post.

The 3rd and 4th digits were (normally): Even numbers towards London (Up trains) and odd numbers (Down trains). The numbering of trains began and finished at 02.00hrs. This being the quietest time of day/night so confusion was minimised.

For each Class & route (described by the first & second digits) the first Up train starting its journey after 02.00 would have the digits "02" the second train using the same class and route codes would be "04" and so on through the day. However there were also intentional gaps left in this sequence to allow for extras, specials, diversions etc. As with the "Up" trains the first Down train on a route would be "01". The second "03" etc, with the same proviso's.

All Regions used this system although minor detail alterations to the system ocurred down the years. So 1A20 your example was also used on the Scottish, Eastern & North Eastern Regions for the Flying Scotsman for many years.

Another important distinction with the second digit (letter) was that certain letters were normally reserved for Inter-regional trains such as:

E: to Eastern Region

M: to Midland Region

N: to North Eastern Region (until this region was amalgamated with the Eastern.) 

O: to Southern Region

S: to Scottish Region

V: to Western Region 

X: Normally reserved for un-timetabled specials including Royal trains.

Z: Also reserved for certain types of specials.

Note: On the Southern Region (SR) designed Multiple units and locos normally used a two digit code. Numerical codes were normally passenger, but alpha numeric codes normally for freight. Despite that, each train ALSO had a 4 digit headcode normally only seen on Signalbox control panels and certain other staff displays, and of course shown in the "Working timetable".

The above was certainly the situation when I was a BR Western and later Southern Region Train Driver !         

The Duke 71000

A few notes from observations.

In 1960s on the East Coast  the down 'Flying Scotsman' carried 1A16, and  carried 1A35 on the up,  the up 'Elizabethan' carried 1A33, the up 'Talisman' 1A23, on the London Midland and Scottish  regions the down 'Royal Scot' carried 1S57.

These are taken from photographs I have, but when I get a moment I will see if I have any working timetables in the attic.

Many thanks for all the info, A bit of a minefield I think!

I will probably leave mine insitu excet for the Hymek as there is some damage to the label inles a black pen can disguise it.

I also remember that when their use finished not all stayed at 0000 but some may have been changed to represent a 4 digit version of the loco number. The example I saw was a class 50 but cannot remember which

A few more 'namers' from the 1960s

1A58 down 'Aberdonian' Kings Cross to Aberdeen

!E14 up 'Queen of Scots', (Edinburgh to Kings Cross)

1S57 down ''Queen of Scots',

1C37 up 'Robin Hood' (Nottingham to St Pancras)

1S68 down 'Thames Clyde Express', (St Pancras to Glasgow)

1M86 up 'Thames Clyde express'

1S64 down 'Waverley'

I have now extracted from the carriage working notice the entire ECML passenger headcodes for the Winter weekdays 1965 -1966, (Main line only not suburban or locals, and not cross country services) which is when diesels would have been in command of most passenger trains.

Is there anybody who might be interested in seeing this if I posted it up?

I can also provide on request train formation details for these services.

If I remember correctly the old Hornby headcodes were not glued in all that strongly so it would be easy to swap them over. Back in the 1980s we had a BR blue 'modern image' layout, and I took all the headcodes out and replaced them with two white dots to match the current practice.  The Hornby locos with illuminated headcodes shone through two holes drilled in a piece of plastic which was cut to the same size as the plastic headcodes the original of which ended up in the spares box. I think I may still have them.

The Hornby Class 25 had two different headcodes, and also the Domino Dots, so three options, printed onto translucent plastic.

The Class 29 used similar plastic headcode panels...

But each model had the same on both ends.

We have some in our spares collection.

The DMU had a two digit code, A7...again printed on translucent plastic..

Again, we have some in our spares collection.

The Brush Type 4 (Class 47) had the heacode moulded onto a painted clear plastic panel.

Yes, you guessed it! 😉

The earlier locos used self adhesive labels.

Brush Type 2 This used 2 different codes over time I think...(Class 31),

EEType 3 (Class 37),

Hymek(Class 35),

Al? (Class 81?) Electric loco.

More modern locos are not in my memory! 😉

I was just curious about the 8H22 now that the subject has been raised. In reality it could have read 'EGGS' or anything else - I would still have enjoyed that train as much back then..  🤐 Brilliant memories.

Here are a few of my pictures of trains displaying headcodes -

/media/tinymce_upload/3db7651f0ba917ce2c23500006d84a73.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/0e138a0542ae972e623b06a9d4b6de9a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/70e3e52925b97bd9558fdbfc33df4830.jpg

Brain Teaser.

What is perhaps the most famous locomotive 'head code' of all time?

No prizes given for the correct answer.