Where is Railmaster going

Hi everyone, I got back into this hobby just over 2 years ago afgter having Hornby train sets as a youngster many years ago. When I took a look at the hobby as it is now I realised that I had to go dcc to maximise my enjoyment of the hobby. I decided on the Majestic set to get started again as I had no real space, and it was dcc with computer control. (I am a computer nut as well).

After getting it home and setup, it was really amazing to see the computer control using Railmaster, the ability to control multiple locos at the same time with 1 power feed was incredible to me. But since then things have slowly gone downhill. While everything was great initially with Railmaster being very stable after the initial teething troubles, (great assistance from members and the links at the top of the forum), my computer died and I required a new one, (I managed to deregister Railmaster before it finally failed).

Since then the connection to the elink was very flakey, since I only had usb 3.0 ports the situation arose whereby it would take sometimes up to an hour faffing around with hardware settings and computer restarts just to get Railmaster to recognise the elink. Now I really like the Railmaster software, it is easy to use and quite intuitive in many respects. It is very uncomplicated compared to many of the other offerings around.

Having said all of that I have finally taken the plunge and changed to another system to operate my trains as it is totally stable and works every time, but is much more complicated.

Basically what I am asking here is what is Hornby going to do about the issues associated with Railmaster and elink to resolve the usb problems, I would hope that they are looking into this and possibly provide some sort of subsidised exchange program to replace elink units with updated ones that work correctly with usb 3.0 ports, (or even usb-c ports), after all, most new computers now only come with either usb 3.0 ports or ucb-c ports. 

I would really like the issue to be resolved by Hornby and would be happy to pay for an updated elink and go back to Railmaster, (I have multiple copies for multiple computers), in a heartbeat from what I am using now.

Well, rant over, just like to hear what others think about the elink usb issue.

Thanks.

Well rant over - good. I hope you feel better for it.

90% of RM configuration problems boil down to finger trouble. There have been no instances where after following the admittedly sometimes wandering advice where a setup has not eventually been persuaded to work. Not ideal but it just proves that when everything is setup correctly RM does work from a connection point of view at least.

There are still ongoing problems with signalling and other trivia but the basic application works.

Any update needed to eLInk will be carried out automatically from within RM, the only way you can update eLink at present.

I suggest you keep your eye on this forum and when it all seems stable then go for the latest RM update from top of page and try again. In the interim enjoy your other software package.

Try reading the thread “RM eLink problem after new download”.  This also refers to the older Rm 1.70 rev 2 is available thread and between them cover all the setup needed for latest configurations.

And note AC has told us on many occasions USB3 problems only occur with implemantations not backward compatible. 

I have taken the "plunge" and moved over to Rocrail, so pleased with it I have now consigned RM to the bottom drawer.

It was fairley complicated to set up at first but now it is all up and running.

The software works really well with my Elite, sends commands to my locos and points faultlessly.

Ian,

Does RocRail also do CV Reading and Writing or do you have to resort to using the Elite manually for those tasks?

Archived