Speed only on or off

Railmaster e link set up and other locos working as they should.

New Diesel and Zimo DCC Sound with shunting and cruise speed set.

On applying either shunting and cruise the speed controller column goes to maximum and the loco accelerates up to maximum spped rather than shunting or cruise.

I have tried re programming loco with no difference.

Appears to be a railmaster bug but do not know how to solve problem.

If it is a bug then you can’t fix it, only HRMS can. Report it in and they will get back to you.

Your question should have been has anyone else seen this problem.

Are you using the very latest download from the link at top of page.

My question would be what values have you set in Shunt and Cruise for that/these locos.

You probably have the latest RM version, but just to be sure, in these scenarios it is always best to download the very latest version from the link at the top of the RailMaster forum and just run the installer over the top of the installed version. If HRMS get involved, they will only ask you to do this simple task anyway.

Then retest for your issue and report back results.

Since you say your other locos are OK, sounds more like a configuration / settings issue within RM that is specific to your Zimo decoder to me.

There has been a previous post relating to 'Shunt' speed inconsistency in settings. May not be related to your issue, but it was dicussed in this previous thread.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/changing-cruise-and-shunt-speeds/?p=1

/media/tinymce_upload/53930b23bfccdebd235b67fe1bdb1c44.png

Hopefully can see from above cruise for 5MT compared to cruise for DP1 9new loco) which is set at 6mph. Set low as at 40mph the loco was flying before I noticed the speed column at max.

I should be on latest version from above.

See this 'How To' thread. Note that as it is a Saturday and images are approved by the Hornby forum administrator (not moderators). Any image you post today is unlikely to appear before Monday.

It is possible that your attempts to upload an image (if done after 3 pm on Friday) were actually successful and are in a queue in the forum system pending admin approval on Monday. When the image is accepted by the forum software, a message to that effect is shown. But it is shown at the very top of the page and you can't see it unless you scroll up to the top of the page. If you don't scroll up quick enough the message times out and disappears. Of course, this will not be the case if you observed a very definitive message pop-up stating that the image was not valid.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-do-i-include-an-image-photo-in-my-post/?p=1

The forum does not support images in the BMP file format, nor images in Apples new image file format (for example iPad IOS 12). The image needs to be .JPG or .PNG and preferably less than 2MB in file size.

Maybe those speeds are set too low and confusing RM. Why not do some diagnostic tests starting with higher speed values and then work back down in stages. Perhaps starting initially with Cruise 50mph and Shunt 15mph. If the speed still jumps to max with those settings, then obviously something else needs looking at instead.

Originally I had them set at 30 and 50 mph but the loco speed was too fast. I then set them lower and it was after that I noticed the speed column just went to maximum on pressing either Shunt or cruise.

I also tried lowering speed using CV s with no joy.

It appears from the small number at the top of the speed slider control that the maximum speed for your new loco is set to 2 mph (I had to zoom in on the image to see it). This might explain why RM is requesting maximum speed steps when you ask for a speed of 6mph.

I think that the maximum speed can be set in the speed factor popup that you get by clicking on the stopwatch icon in the loco setup screen. Is it possible that you have inadvertently set this to 2?

Kind regards

John

Sorry, I didn't zoom in far enough - it is indeed showing 3 rather than 2.

Are you using scale speeds in RM? The fact that the other two locos show 127 at the top of the sliders suggests that you are not - if you did, the sliders would show the max speed such as 80 or 90. If you are not using scale speeds, I thought that the sliders always showed 127 as the max speed steps at the top of the scale.

Regards

John

I agree, for the slider to show 3, there must be an incorrect setting or a corruption in the 'Loco Settings' screen for that loco.

For Information.

The green background behind the slider scale number denotes that the figue is a speed setting in MPH or KPH (subject to one of the 'System Settings') and is usually shown on locos that have been profiled by Hornby and selected from the Hornby database as part of the loco setting up process.

The pink background usually indicates that the scale is not in MPH / KPH but in 'DCC Speed Steps' and typically 1 to 127. Hence why 127 is shown on the top of the scale. Thus an indicated max 127 'Speed Step' could be any actual speed in MPH / KPH that has previously been configured.

As suggested by william david, I deleted the orignal set up and set the loco up again and all works as normal.

I've not used the stopwatch facility but on checking it requires both a time range and max speed range. .

..However, at first I set the shunting speed higher than cruise speed and had to correct after saving. I have recreated this and there does appear to be a vulue written to max spped and also a "F" written to voice control

/media/tinymce_upload/4fef055d07764bfb6dbbfba6edef2b8d.png

Hi Chris

Interesting to see the meanings of the pink and green backgrounds and to see that there can be a mixture of scale speed and non-scale speed locos on the same system.

I tried entering a max speed of 3mph in the speed factor popup, but it won't accept a value of less than 5mph so the 3 cannot have come via that route.

I then patched a maximum speed of 3 into one of my locos using my program that updates resource.mdb, and that did reproduce the behaviour that KNAP reports - it shows 3 in green above the slider, and the shunt and cruise buttons push the slider up to the maximum (I didn't try actually running the train!)

The loco data must have been corrupted, so setting the loco up again from scratch is probably the best option - or KNAP could try setting a realistic maximum speed in the speed factor popup.

Regards, John

Can you also post a picture of your controller set up screen (big cog top left) as the controller icon is still showing as undetected.

In addition there should be no Detection ID value as loco detection hardware isn’t available yet.

It may be working, but I can still see errors in your configuration. For one thing the 'Detection ID' box has got 160 in it for some inexplicable reason. This box should be a 'blank' entry. It is used with 'Loco Detection' hardware which has not yet been released to market by Hornby. Oddly, this 160 value also appears as the Max MPH speed value on the slider......I am wondering if this is more than just a coincidence. 160 MPH is also a rather odd speed value to have for something that shunts at less than 10 MPH !!!

I can't see why you have a speed of 1.711 MPH in the 'Speed Factor' box. If a loco is being called up from the Hornby database, there is no need to make any changes to this box and should be left alone. If the 1.711 was placed there by RM itself, then that might be due to the other error I can see, where the cruising speed is 3 mph and the shunt speed is 6 mph. The cruising speed should be higher than the shunt speed (I assume that this image shows the shunt and cruise values before you changed them). I also cannot understand why you want such low speeds in general........it's almost as if you are operating a 'maintenance hand cart' not a loco. The 'scale speed' configuration boxes have special functions and do not normally need to be amended for most loco configurations. To use the 'scale speed' configuration boxes correctly, you need 'Loco Detection' hardware which as mentioned above, is not a launched product yet.

Unless you are specifically using 'voice control' then the box with the "F" in it should be blank too. If you are using 'Voice Control' then that box would be expected to have a full name in it, not an isolated letter.

I suggest you review the link I gave in my reply timed @15:56 on Page 1 of this thread, where you will find a complete listing of each and every configuration field on the 'Loco Settings' screen that explains what the field does and how to fill it in.

The loco is set up on CV 159 and runs fine at low speeds.although now 6 and 10.

The CV 160 is just a test to see if I could recreate what happened (also offline - not connected to elink)

With the higher shunt rather than cruise speed RM created the value in speed factor box. the voice controll entry and loco detection ID.value of 160

The green box 150mph was just a previous test at using the speed factor boxes.

KNAP I think we have reached the point where the forum can be of no further help with your problem, so I suggest you report the snag to HRMS and let us know if and how they fixed it later.

Archived