Logo query....DCC Ready or DCC Fitted?

Guest Chrissaf

/media/tinymce_upload/0c095fa436a2c382b141274db4535526.JPGone of my dmu units has a box with the figure 8 on and DCC underneath, does this mean it is DCC ready or DCC fitted?

I believe that logo could be either. It is just letting you know that there is a NEM 652 8 Pin DCC socket inside. Which may or may not be equipped with a decoder.

Bachmann denote their boxes thus...........The suffix to the model number also indicates whether decoder installed (DC) or Sound fitted (DS).........HB/media/tinymce_upload/718e4cd833a621a472c1734fe0dd1602.png

thank you one and all, I appreciate your help, friend bought hornby DCC starter pack or grandchildren but they have shown no interest so he has offered it to me so going through my later models to see if I can easily add to layout rather than just run one dcc loco although not sure where I am putting a 2nd layout and how to persuade my wife about 2 layouts.

From what HB has told you, it seems most likely you have a DCC Ready loco with an 8-pin DCC socket and a blanking plug, meaning it is DC and will run just like your other DC locos on your existing layout.  To confirm, you can remove the body and check if it has a blanking plug or a decoder in the socket.  Should be easy to tell which - a blanking plug will have no or maybe a couple of electronic components mounted on it.  A decoder will have lots of components on a board mounted directly into the socket or may have a plug in the socket and a wiring harness to the decoder itself.

Either way, it should not matter, a DCC fitted loco should run on your DC layout just like your DC locos, so no 2nd layout needed.  That’s unless someone has specifically adjusted the decoder to not run DC.  So check it out and see if it works.  If it does, no further action needed.  If it doesn’t, come back and we can give further advice about re-adjusting the decoder for DC Running, something that will require a DCC Controller to fix.

thanks fishmanoz and RAF96, wasn't gong to use both controllers on same setup but was considering started 2nd layout using DCC set, I have on my layout an independent branchline that crosses turntable access line but not joined as such locos cannot run from one to the other, seperate controllers for each, which if this DCC starter kit works I can transfer to main layout and run both, DC on main layout and DCC on the branch, but want to make sure I am ok with DCC before running on the branch line

Hi guys, located the sheet that cane with my DMU, the model has a standard 8-pin NMRA-NEM decoder socket and needs a 1 amp rated decoder, also the trailer car needs a decoder, in simple terms, can somebody advise me which decoders I need please.

All decoders should (in theory) be compliant with the NMRA (National Model Railway Association) standards and thus be interchangeable as long as they have the required 'pin arrangement'. In your case, 8 pin NEM 362.

It is true to say however that some brands of decoders have been reported to have issues with some Hornby controllers. So assuming you are using a Hornby controller, then if you want to be 'belt n braces' then perhaps you should consider a Hornby decoder.

The Hornby R8249 decoder is 500mA motor rated, with 1 amp peak motor and 1 amp total decoder (motor plus functions) ratings. I suspect, that the "....needs a 1 amp rated decoder....." statement in your post relates to the total decoder load and not just the motor on its own. Particularly if the DMU in question is a Hornby branded loco.

The Hornby R8249 normally needs to have a motor attached to it before it will accept DCC configuration (CV) changing. So the normal methodology is to put the decoder destined for the 'dummy' motor car in the powered motor car first. Then configure the decoder as required, then transfer it to the 'dummy' car. You then configure the powered motor car decoder as normal in the powered car as a separate configuration task.

I believe (needs confirmation) that an Elite controller with 1.44 firmware has advanced features that can over-come the need of an attached motor load when programming decoders in the 'dummy' car. But to be sure of success, it would prudent to adopt the methodology described above in the previous paragraph.

Elite will program a dummy without a motor load Chris.

If you read other forums you will see that there are often comments about this or that controller will not work with this or that decoder and vice versa so Hornby is not the only player with compatability problems - despite the NMRA rules and regs that ensure everything works with everything else - a bit like NATO standards so all armed forces kit was compatible with all other armed forces kit, only at times they didn’t, wouldn’t, couldn’t.

thanks Chrissaf & RAF96, I use Gaugemaster controllers on my layout but for this DCC setup I will use the controller that comes with the DCC starter set, with elink which I can use with a spare laptop, if everything ok I can then try it on my layout branch line using the gaugemaster

We would ref you back to the RM and eLInk initial setup info as if you get it right its fine, if you get it wrong its a pest.

If swapping your Dc controller for the eLInk then take note of checking for any capacitors in the power connector track or clip.

Archived