2 Queries about Street Lamps Positive Wire

Please help. Query 1.  Removing the shielding from the positive very, very fine cable is very difficult for my somewhat clumsy fingers, and the wire is too small for my wire-stripper. What is the best painless way to do this ?  So far, my best method has been to burn it off with a match. But this is not very satisfactory. Can the shielding be dissolved chemically ? Or is there another tip ?

Query 2. This is a rather stupid one(and I may know the answer already). If I have a 1000 resistor serving 3 lamps will they be less bright or more bright than 1 lamp with its own resistor ?  I woul be very grateful for advice.

Wire stripping - try using a scalpel blade on top of the wire and dragged along.

Lamps - Look here...are they led or filament bulbs...

/media/tinymce_upload/dca2a14b1741cb218fc99eace0536218.JPG

If a resistor is controlling the current to three lamps then it will not dim them as much as a resistor controlling the current to one lamp. You also have to take account of if the lamps are connected in series or parallel with each other before the resistor affects them.

Chris will likely explain it in more detail for you.

Query 1.

The method I use to remove the enamel insulation for micro thin wires is to place the wire down flat on a surface. Then whilst holding it down with my thumb, I draw a piece of 'wet n dry' (dry) along the end of the wire to be bared away from my thumb so that the wire is stretched slightly taut. I draw the 'wet n dry' along the wire several times, rotating the wire a little every so often. You can see where the enamel has been removed because the wire gets shiny. Being gentle and taking one's time is the name of the game. Using any form of blade, can make the wire susceptible to breaking.

Query 2

Subject to applied voltage and resistor values, sharing a resistor may cause the three LEDs to be dimmer.

Let's say that the supply is 12 volts and the three LEDs are white LEDs with a 3 volt forward bias.

Rob's Ohms Law cartoon tells us that the resistor will have 9 volts across it. The 9 volts will create a current value X. The current value of X will always be the same whether there is a single LED or three LEDs. If there are three LEDs then each LED will only get 1/3rd of the current.

• For example if the resistor is 1,000 ohms and is only serving a single LED, then the 9 volts across the resistor will draw 9mA
  • Thus if the same 1,000 ohm resistor is now serving three LEDs in parallel, then the current for each LED is now only 3mA (1/3rd of 9mA).
  • If you want to still have 9mA for each of the three LEDs, then you would need to make the resistor value 1/3rd of 1,000 ohms (330 Ohms).
  • A 330 ohm resistor with 9 volts across it will draw 27mA, thus 9mA is now available for each LED.
  • However that all said and done, reducing the LED current from 9mA to 3mA will reduce the brightness, but the reduction may not be particularly noticeable to the naked eye. It might be.....it might not be.

Chris, thankyou very much indeed. These are great answers and I am now off to find some 'wet n dry' and have a go at the cables. Also, your answer will let me revise my plans for installing the street lamps .

BTW  I found the simplest way to avoid cables hanging down under the board (no provision having been made during its construction) was to cut 2cm x2cm wood into small lengths, drill a large hole(s) in each, apply wood glue then hold them under the board for a minute or so to set at the required positions.  A very cheap method which avoids any crawling under the layout. Better than using staples etc which may be awkward to hammer in.  I had intended using the more elegant solution of mini-trunking but this proved impractical.

As a supplementary to this thread I have a related issue.  I have a 12v DC bus under my deck powering 12v filament platform lamps.  Running alongside is my DCC bus. My DCC droppers are connected to their bus by Scotchlok type connectors which work well.  However the very thin wires on my new LED lamps will probably be too thin to to connect in that way.  As the DC bus is already installed what would be suggestions on how to fix the new LED lamp wires to their bus.  Soldering is one option but I am not sure about working in a confined space on my back where control is less than ideal.  The bus wire is 7/0.2 gauge. Also what is the best way to strip a small length of the bus wire to allow a conenction to the lamp wire to be mage. Any advice would be welcome.