Railmaster - Activation Key Issue

a friend bought 2 DCC Hornby starter sets for his grandchildren who have shown no interest so he has given them to me unfortunately the railmaster activation key has been used on his system so wont work on mine, can anybody advise me on my options please?

If still in stock, Hatton's were selling nonactivated (pre-owned) copies of RailMaster software for £5. They used to sell new versions for £5 as well, but those have sold out.

You only need the activation key printed on the packaging. The version on the CD is more than likely an old version and would be updated to the current version (downloadable from the Hornby forum) anyway. Hence why you only need the key and not the actual CD that goes with it.

The Railmaster license terms and conditions do not allow the transfer of the license to someone else, so there is no option for having the original key reset for a new owner.

If the £5 CD is not currently available and you cannot find a seller selling nonactivated copies, then your further options are limited as the current RailMaster software (full retail version) can only currently be purchased with a new eLink.

Good point Fishy....one I overlooked to mention.

As Rob says...it would be the full retail price.....but I assume that would be slightly lower than the eLink bundle package. Can't be sure as I can't remember 100% what the retail price of the R8144 RailMaster software used to be, but to the best of my recollection it was in the region of £60.

Buy it, ask them to email the activation key then bin the CD and save the postage. Then AC will tell us again that sometimes the download doesn’t work without first installing the CD.  That would certainly cause me problems as I haven’t had an optical drive on any laptop for years.

thanks guys, appreciate all help and advice, Hornby no longer sell the stand alone software, Hattons selling for £60, same on ebay, Peters Spares for £53 and are only about 10 miles away so will call in there

LOL Fishy 😆

Only on two occasions (not my own installations I must add) have I noted the download wouldn't work but did after installing from a CD first - which was, at both times, an original CD release.

Doesn't mean this will happen all the time though but I still have my CD just in case!

I can't see Rails (if that is who you mean Fishy) binning the CD as it is part of a purchase but you never know.

I think I would prefer the postal method at that price rather than drive ten miles and pay more, plus petrol costs and general wear and tear on the car. No contest for me... simples.

Archived