R3627 A3 60103 Flying Scotsman Errors

96RAF

HAS ANYBODY ELSE SPOTTED THIS?

I received my brand new Hornby R3627 Class A3 4-6-2 60103 "Flying Scotsman" in BR express passenger blue just the other day.

I just started some work on it today and I noticed that there is no ashpan linkage below the running plate underneath the cab.

Hmmm!! Have Hornby fitted it on the wrong side as this model represents 60103 before left-hand drive conversion which took place April 1954 and the factory might have dropped a faux pas?

NOPE - totally missing.

I looked at the image of the model on the box slip cover which shows a left-hand side view and the ashpan linkage is not shown fitted to the locomotive on the image either (it should be on the left-hand side as the loco is right-hand drive as represented).

So I checked out pics of R3627 on Google images and NONE of the models have the ashpan linkage fitted.

I'm going to email Hornby and ask if they are having a laugh or what as come on, they can't be omitting this detail to cut costs on a 170 quid locomotive - CAN THEY?

• 7 months later...

As no one has commented since around the OP posting time presumably no one gives a stuff about it. I mean does the reversing linkage have the correct number of turns from full forward to full reverse gear. I don’t know - nobody knows except the driver. Is such detail really necessary. Yes I am being cynical. Is this level of detail even cost effective.

Hello DEROB,

Did you email Hornby? If so, did you get a response?

It looks like we don't need to worry about detail on expensive models.

Maybe we can just accept missing parts like valve gear detail or lets leave the funnel & nameplates off, if it doesn't really matter on a model.

Regards