Problems with installing labels on design layout in Pro

Hi Guys

I have reduced my layout design to fit my monitor screen in 100% zoom but in doing so have lost some large point numbers (not placed in the point description box ) and labels containing platform numbers.

Clicking "ABC" brings up a blank label in the usual top left corner and after positioning it I  double click it and according to the manual it should light up blue which allows me to install the text and numbers,this does not happen although the font selection box appears I cannot get it to work and there is no mention of numbers since the box was updated for choice of scripts and languages.

When I first designed the layout some time back I did not have any problems with this.

Can anybody advise as to what has to be done as I have followed the manual instructions but failed miserably.

If further info is required I will try to do a screen shot for you.

DAVJAN  

From memory

You click ABC and it places a text gox of default font and size with the word label in it in the top LH corner of the screen.

My first action is to click and drag that label to a blank place on the plan, then double click it to access the text and amend to suit. Right clicking the live text box brings up the font and size options dialogue.

Once you have a decent label then click and drag to its required location.

Then I usually copy and paste an existing label rather than faff about generating and configuring a new one. Clck and drag the copy away from its parent.

Edit - often a label can disappear so look at a greater screen area to see where it has hidden in plain sight.

Hi Raf

I cannot edit the text within a label.

As per page95 in the R/Master guide I double click on the text within the label which should should change the background to blue, it does not change,nothing happens so I am unable to change the contents.

The font size is the same as when I first designed the layout so I do not know what is happening.

You may also recall I posted a problem regarding the direction arrows, they are now as I want them but it took some time to do it as on right clicking the track element I wanted to insert an arrow a track piece elsewhere on the layout dropped out of place in it,s square.

This has happened often within the last 2 weeks so I reported it to HRMS but they can not replicate the fault or the problem I am having with the labels.

I am at a loss as to what is going wrong.

Thanks for your interest.

David

Does changing the zoom level (if that is even possible in design mode) affect things.

There are only two possible control modes for text labels, right click or double click, each bringing up a separate dialogue. Do either work for you. The only thing I have found is moving the label onto the plan before amending it seems to work better for me than amending it in the default plant position at screen top left.

Rob

I have 2 layout plans on Railmaster they are the same layout  but have different names, 1 is in 100% the other 75% zoom.

I have tried different zoom modes on both in design mode and on neither can I get the label to turn blue by left double clicking the selected label.

I have always in the past done as you suggest and had no problems before updating to v 1.71.

In desperation on the 20th I emailed you using your contact  address including an attachment in the hope you would understand what I was doing but the email bounced back today as I did not advise you prior to doing so.

HRMS as I mentioned earlier have not been able to replicate my problem.

David

@David

Apologies for the direct email problem as I have just noticed that the hyperlink for my hotamil address was sending to my obsolete Cytanet address. This has been rectified and all emails from my website contact page should reach me now. I have never had a problem with pre-notification before - that must be something new like call screening.

This is from my plan with RM at v1.71.0 - zoom set at 75% in normal view but whatever it is in design view...

Double left click...text goes blue and cursor appears when you click in the box.

/media/tinymce_upload/4ecb3c2232901efc943573ebaac4d7c9.JPG

Right click...font dialogue appears.

/media/tinymce_upload/f9c38d6bece5900fe42f75ebda490e99.JPG

So far I have not found any major problems with version 1.71.0. Maybe you could try the latest version from the page top link and see if it makes a difference.

I have tried it on my two other basic licenced copies of RM and they work fine even though not at the latest revision (I didn’t note the actual revisions but the numbers on screen mean very little regarding identifying the actual installed iteration anyhow).

Hi Davjan - I expect you have tried this but what about a single left click to get the blue "edit" box/surround and then double left clicking to turn the background blue? I have tried every combination of left and right click and cannot replicate your experience.

Double left click with or without the blue edit surround enables editing of text and a right click with or without the blue edit surround enables style changes.

Do your mouse buttons work correctly in other applications?

R-

Hi Rob and Roger

At last I may have found the problem, you recall Rob when I first posted you advised me to check the layouts in design mode for Ghost labels, I did so and found none in either.

Today on changing zoom levels on both layouts when set as the default layout a blank label appeared in the top corner of one of them.

But upon going back to the design mode for each neither showed the ghost label anywhere .

When a member of HRMS checked both layouts for problems he only checked in design mode and found nothing amiss and could not help me.

I have had to go back to them from within R/Master explaining this as if the ghost label does not appear in design mode I cannot get rid of it.

Thank you both for your advice, I was thinking I was stupid and missing something simple.

I await reaction from the team and will inform you of the outcome.

David

You often get what are called artifacts on the live plan which are loose ends that the program hasn’t tidied up after certain activities like zooming. I get point numbers scattered about the plan when I change zoom even if I have point numbering turned off. I also get odd yellow triangles at point locations which are also false items. Usually a controlled restart sorts them out until the next zoom change.

None of which helps with your label editing problem. A pity we cannot just edit the actual trackplan in xml or whatever text format is used else we could probably find exactly where the error is by going through it line by line against the label objects.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob and Guys

It is confession time

My label and direction problems were due to me.

I am disabled  and in my eighties and have had no problems in the past with the above but have realised that my double clicking has been the problem i.e. not fast enough.

I have adjusted the mouse double click setting and now my layout is all working fine.

Thanks for your help and advice.

David