Hawker Typhoon Ib Starter Set 1:72 - A good starter?

Ratch

Hi Knight90

And welcome to the forum. Basically the Airfix starter kits are aimed at the new-comers to the hobby. They are the same as the normal kits in the actual plastic except the starter kits only have the one option of finish and decals. The supplied paints are adequate for the suggested finish but you might need to add some black and silver for some detailed parts like undercarriage legs and crew figures and the paints might need thinning a touch as some people have found them a bit gooey.

Personally I've not made the Typhoon or the Spitfire, but quite a few modellers on this forum have made them and haven't had any problems. If you and Nicholasj check back in the aircraft forum I'm sure you'll find some builds logs that'll answer your queries. Hope this helps and would love to see the results of your builds, remember there is no such thing a bad model.

Remember we do this for fun                           John the Pom

I concur - I started with the 'Starter Kits' 10 months ago and the Spitfire Mk.1a was one of them (the Typhoon, no).

I'd suggest getting at least a wide, flat brush to do the larger surfaces as the included fine and medium sized pointed brushes aren't really suitable. Also a tip for the tube of solvent cement - instead of using direct from the tube, squeeze a small amount onto a suitable surface, such as a plastic jar lid. Then use a cocktail stick to apply the glue to the parts. Much more control and less mess.

The learning curve is steep, but fun. Go for it!

Hello everyone, Ive just jumped into ther airfix hobby and im looking at a good WW2 aircraft starter kit , ive got my eyes on the Hawker Typhoon Ib Starter Set 1:72 is this good for a beginner? or dose anyone else have any other recommendations?

Many thanks,

K90

Depending on your level of experience and confidence I'd suggest the Spitfire Mk.Ia is a better starting point, the Typhoon has a greater parts count and is a little more complicated. Maybe save that 1 for your second or third effort? And above all enjoy your modelling and the learning curve.

OK guys the Spitfire 1A starter set is a new tool, plus some supplies. I honestly don't know which tool (there are 2) the Typhoon is based on.

As beginners you'll probably want to use the supplied acrylic paint. This is water-based, so you can clean the brushes under a tap. Equally to the point, I've found that the thickness of these paint as supplied can be variable. Using single drips of water, mix them until they're watery thickness rather than tarry.

Helllo Guys thabkyou all for your help and advice and opinions! I can’t wait to show everyone my efforts , one thing I love about this hobby is that you learn alot and have a big skill set to build up! 

now the fun begins 

K90

I'm a newbie also and was looking at the Spitfire Mkla.

The Spitfire is also straightforward, but a couple of tips will help you along the way. The instrument panel is often found to be a tight fit, it needs some trimming before the fuselage will close up fully. The wings might be a little tight and need a bit of sanding at the roots to avoid too flat a dihedral angle. 

I honestly don't know which tool (there are 2) the Typhoon is based on.

It's the new one, thankfully the old tooling has been consigned to history. I would think the new Typhoon kit is as good as anything for anybody starting up.

Cheers; you get my point that I wasn't prepared to comment and talk total nonsense as a result?

Decided to go for the Curtiss Tomahawk IIB Starter Set and i was able to pick that up from my local today so thats good, 47 parts so not to bad all being well! I will post the final result of this build once im able

Both the Spit I/II and Typhoon are very good kits. The Typhoon has more detail and a few more options in the build. I would recommend both. I would also suggest getting some thinner cement - Humbrol Precision and Revell Contacta are both easier to control than the old tubes. Alsopick up a pot of the acrylic primer as water based paints tend to form droplets on the surface of plastic models.

After that just try them out.

The Tomahawk is also very good.

Both the Spit I/II and Typhoon are very good kits. The Typhoon has more detail and a few more options in the build. I would recommend both. I would also suggest getting some thinner cement - Humbrol Precision and Revell Contacta are both easier to control than the old tubes. Alsopick up a pot of the acrylic primer as water based paints tend to form droplets on the surface of plastic models.

After that just try them out.

The Tomahawk is also very good.

Thankyou for your advice i shall look into these items when i can and aquire them! :D 

The Tomahawk is a good kit Knight90 and a good starting point for you. I don't think you will have any problems with it as it had no real issues. I've just completed my third Tomahawk and need to update the build thread 'Tomahawk in RAF Service'  with the finished photos.

The Tomahawk is a good kit Knight90 and a good starting point for you. I don't think you will have any problems with it as it had no real issues. I've just completed my third Tomahawk and need to update the build thread 'Tomahawk in RAF Service'  with the finished photos.

Awesome cant wait to see these photos!

• 3 months later...