Black 5 tts sound chip problems

ron 47

Was there not a similar topic where the OP had to slot the tender weight to allow the various wires to feed through and sit snug. Looks like this weight needs its two holes slotting as well.

With some locos, mine being the GWR 28xx 2-8-0 tender loco, the round speaker fits fine, the weight in my case had a wedge shape to clear the speaker connexions, but there is insufficient depth above the 8 pin DCC socket in the tender to house the decoder.

There wasn't a great deal of a gap, so I tried all sorts to get the tender top to fit...

In the end, I decided to cut a part of the bottom of the coal space away, to allow the TTS decoder to fit in front of the rear mounted socket, on top of the weight and speaker.

As the coal load is removable on the 28xx, this can be removed to do the cutting out. The coal load then covers the decoder, with plenty of clearance, and therefore ventilation.

Possibly also necessary on the Black 5.

Funny enough, we have an older DCC ready Black 5, decoder socket in the loco.

This will be having a TTS decoder fitted.

Depending on the space available, we may use a sugar cube speaker in the loco, or convert the loco to have the socket and decoder, with the speaker, in the tender...

Archived