Next 18 Reliability

96RAF

Is Next 18 and 18S a good standard for 00 or is it better suited to N gauge. Will it be a flash in the pan and should I be looking at PluX instead.

Has anyone been running Next 18 for a while and have they had any issues with the kit, such as plug/socket reliability or power handling, specific decoder features, etc.

Thanks...

Well, you will be familiar with the NEM 652 8pin used by Hornby (now considered really old technology) and the MTC21 21pin used largely by Bachmann.

Next 18 is a new emerging decoder socket arrangement that is similar in concept to the MTC21 socket but physically much smaller. Next 18 is quite common in mainland European manufactured models and being much smaller suitable for N gauge as well. The Next 18, because of the higher number of pins, has support as standard for 6 functions.

Next 18 is a standard (MOROP / NEM 662) and not a brand and is supported by most of the European decoder suppliers.

Example of a Next 18 decoder

/media/tinymce_upload/d952090d775ba20f2fde0f5017a69995.jpg

I have one tank loco with it fitted. I have not got round to fitting a decoder yet, so I have no experiense. I must admit, both the 18 and 21 pin options look a better bet than the 8 pin option. I get the opinion that the 8 pin was a quick fix for adding a DCC decoder to older models. The thing that annoys me about them are the trailing leads and the dreaded 8 pin plug. Firstly the plug, reminds of the old days of integrated circuit sockets, where the socket was more unreliable than the integrated circuit. There are all the issues of bent or broken pins when trying to fit it and then there is that nice line of uninsulated pins on the top of the the plug, ready to be shorted, and very difficult to add insulating tape to. I get the opinion that the 21 pin version is designed into the model, rather than as an afterthought, as it is bigger, so as a consequence they fit better and not so easy to damage. Hopefully 18 pin is the same. As an aside I bought a second hand DCC fitted model off EBay last week, and to my surprise it was fitted with a 9 pin decoder, I didn't even know they existed until I googled it. Obviously, this design was not taken up, again I suppose it was difficult to find the space to fit it in older models. I get the opinion DCC is added as an after thought, typical old mechanical based company, where electronics are added lated, not designed in. With their new design of putting the chip in the tender they could easily use 21 pin or 18 pin modules.

@colinb

21 pin MTC was a bodged standard with either full power or logic only on some pins and seems to have been superseded by PluX which is more versatile in that a plug with any number of pins can fit any socket due to the centre out symmetry of the pinouts, obviously if the socket is pin shy then the more numerous pinned decoders will be limited in function.

21 pin MTC although robust also suffered from the dreaded bent pin syndrome and could also be fitted upside down / back to front by ham-fisted folk like me despite the index-pin.

Next18 is similar to 8-pin in that fitting it reversed is possible but not fatal.

I suppose the big thing about the 21 pin setups, or at least the ones I have seen, is that it is more of a solution. You don't have wires trailing everywhere, and I must admit I got the first one I fitted the wrong way round, but after that I have had no issues. I have lost count of how many 8 pin ones I have damaged where either the edge of the board (the bit you don't quite insulate, touches the chassis) or the dangling port lead, that you try to keep out the way again touches the chassis, or those terrible Hornby 8 pin PCBs with exposed pins that touch the chassis. The 21 pin just seems better designed and made, I agree it is easy to bend pins, but it is a much better solution. On my Bullied Diesel, the speaker was already fitted, so to add sound all I had to do is get the 21 pin sound module, much better than all those dangling wires.

I bought a cheap Lais DCC 18 pin decoder, to fit in my Bachmann loco. I suspect the connector might be an issue iin the future, spent ages messing around trying to get it to work, then it suddenly burst into action. I can only assume the connector was not fully home. It is so small, it is hard to see.

I bought a cheap Lais DCC 18 pin decoder, to fit in my Bachmann loco. I suspect the connector might be an issue iin the future, spent ages messing around trying to get it to work, then it suddenly burst into action. I can only assume the connector was not fully home. It is so small, it is hard to see.

Being so small these Next18 connectors must be made to exacting tolerances to fit and work correctly. I expect cheap decoders if not be made to such tight tolerances will give trouble. In all the demos I have seen the decoder clicks in positively and holds firm. Next18S socket is rigged for a pre-fitted speaker.

I am not so sure about that, generally connectors are only made by a few firms, so I would expect them to be roughly all the same. I remember we used to use that type for holding microprocessors in the early days, they were always an issue, although they had substantially more pins. I probably didn't push it in hard enough.

Archived