What happened to Mike's Models kits?

Angus1996

Hello all, 

I've recently discovered the Mike's Models range of finescale metal kits after purchasing their GWR pagoda shelter for my Truthall Halt/Helston Railway project. From the placement of the of the windows and gutter downspout to the overall dimensions this pagoda kit is a practically identical copy of the shelter at Truthall Halt, so I'm off to a good start. 

But it made me curious about Mike's Models. The only kits I have come across are evidently several years old and I cannot find anything online about the comapany.

What happened to them?

I think the Mike's Models (based in Swansea) that Angus is referring to closed down some time ago - possibly their stock was bought out by Holt Model Railways (also in Swansea), but I'm not sure if they are still trading either.  Quite a bit of Mike's Models stuff comes up on ebay - mainly small whitemetal kits and accessories, and some etched parts.

The Doc is correct.

AFAIK..... Holt Model Railways took over all the left over stock of Mike's Models (also based in Swansea). But it looks as if Holts has also stopped trading after 40+ years of business. The Holts website has been deleted. The last known telephone number and address for Holts Models, if they should still be trading was:

Holt Model Railways

Bishopston Rd, Bishopston, Swansea, SA3 3EW

Tel 01792 232264

For completeness of info.

The last known address for Mike's Models was:

1 Bradene Close

Wootton Bassett

Swindon

SN4 8DG

Note; this is a private house address as Mike's Models was, it seems, a 'Sole Trader' more than likely working from home.

Address information reproduced above is in the 'public domain' so not a breach of forum guidelines.

One problem with  model railways is the number of small kit producer's that have been / are around. Especially for new modelers. You find just what your looking for in a as new condition on eBay and think ohh that's nice, I wonder what else is in their range! Only to find out they went bust when Noah was a lad.