Loco clicking noise

cowside

I have acquired an oldish Castle class loco with a 3-pole motor. I have about 20 such loco and thought I knew their problems and solutions. This loco is a puzzle. it makes a clicking noise which increases in frequency as speed increases - at the same point in the revolution every time.

I thought it was a missing cog tooth, but checked and it's not - especially as the loco goes beautifully at very slow speeds. I then thought it was a coupling rod striking the cylinder slider  - not that either! Then checked the B2B on the driving wheels, and they're OK. Changed the motor brushes and springs as well.

I'm baffled! Currently the loco is unusable since it creates a cacophony of sound at anything other than shunting speed. Any thoughts?

Hi cowside

I have just had a daft thought turn the tender over and see if it was one of the locos that was fitted with a chuff chuff device

It will have a tag fitted to one axle that rotates with the wheels and rubbed on a plastic strip coated with a very mild abrasive.

If the abrasive is gone it will click instead of chuff and the click varies with the speed just as the chuff did.

just a thought.

regards John

Unfortunately, the Castle in question is likely to be the ex Airfix / Mainline / Dapol model...

Cowside has mentioned changing the brushes, and springs, so probably a Ringfield type motor.

The nearest Hornby "Exhaust Steam Sound" loco would be the "Hall Class".

These have the X.04 / X.03 type motors.

Incidentally, the strip is brass.

The abrasive can be replaced if needed by attaching a small piece of a suitable grade of sandpaper, double sided tape works well!

Still a good thought!

• 8 months later...

Hello. Has there been a resolution to this issue yet ? I just took delivery of a used Castle engine that is making that same clicking sound. As I'm totally new to OO and have never taken one of these engines apart, I'd hate to ruin it without knowing what I'm looking for. I do have 50 plus year repairing American Flyer (S) and some Lionel (O) engines, but Hornby is whole new ball game for me. Thanks. 

@afman63

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/