Moved Thread: Help with Connecting custom track

Andy P.

That will be a fun track to race on! You can connect it up with a C8200 quarter-straight. Don't worry if the layout in a track designer doesn't meet up by a fraction of an inch (or a few millimetres) - the Scalextric track is flexible so can operate within those tolerances.

My advice is to have fun with track design and see what you can fit in the space. Look at what other enthusiasts have built (not all will be any good though...) and browse some old Scalextric track designs (like this: https://slotracer.online/plans/101-circuits-for-scalextric-drivers/) for inspiration. Ultimately, a good track is not what looks good, but how it drives and how it races. That means building some tracks and trying them - and accepting that might mean buying surplus track pieces you don't necessarily use.

Personally, what I'd suggest is:

• Experiment with a combination of radius turns - the standard Radius 2 that come in sets, plus tighter Radius 1 and wider Radius 3 and 4. One corner can contain various radius pieces, for example R4 - R3 - R2 - R3 - R4 would be a large corner that tightens and then opens. Or R2 - R1 - R1 - R2 would be a much tighter corner, but one that is better to drive than all R1s.
  • Try and have a track were the total of all insides and outsides of corners are shared more-or-less evenly between the two lanes (like in your design above), otherwise one lane can be much quicker and/or easier to drive. A fly-over can be a good way of ensuring this. An alternative is to use the C8510 Track Extension Pack with the racing crossovers - these do add a collision hazard...
  • The Track Extension Packs are a good value of adding extra track - especially straights (Pack 5) and R3 corners (Pack 6).
  • Buy outer borders and barriers for all your corners and include those in your planning, budgeting and design. They add another 6.5 cms to the outside of each corner. They will give you the flexibility to run cars without traction magnets, but will also improve the driving experience of standard cars (with magnets), especially the high-detail cars like the muscle cars that do drift through the corners, even with traction magnets fitted.
  • "Less can be More" - squeezing too much track into a space can end up with a poor track to drive and to race on. Aim for the longest straight you can, plus some fast turns and some tighter, more technical sections. One good Scalextric layout would be a variation on the real-life Catalunya track in Barcelona - it has most of the features I've described. Another is something based on the Suzuka track, which has a flyover and a nice mix of fast and slower turns.

Good luck and have fun!

Buy at least 4 quarters and 8 shorts to balance out designs. However 4 x 8 is not large so keep it simple. Keep track covered when not using and flat for better conductity.  ( The shorts will really help your track building ability and the quarters will allow you to use all your space available .Use a yard stick for allignment and take notes . Really it's all just math. )

Used Railmoder Pro for this. I have an 8' Pool table that is my platform for my new obsession of slot cars and wanted to add to my Muscle Car edition. Currently I am running the Figure 8 pattern and have tried expanding it but need some recommendations from the community. 

This is my problem. As always, most appreciative to anyone who could help.

/media/tinymce_upload/2b36f9c4492244793f7dee2bcb0b5dff.png