A04006V Northrop P-61 Black Widow future conversion?

Tweezers

Hi all

I never made the Northrop P-61 Black Widow, but if, in the future, a decal company bring out markings for a 422nd Night Fighter Squadron that flew in Europe at the end of the war, then I might be tempted.

Does anyone remember making it?  Does it deserve seeing the light of day again?

I'm sure I saw once pictures of one in D-Day invasion stripes on the fuselare and wings.  Preferable to any all-black a/c, as depicted on the box art.

Hobby Boss do a 1:72nd scale P-61 Black Widow in the USAF 442nd Night Fighter Squadron ETO markings in all over black with invasion stripes. 2nd scheme is Olive Drab which I think is also from ETO.

Having read the reviews some months ago it would seem to be better than the original Airfix kit with 1 or 2 small issues. You can also get a PE set for it. But a proper new tool upto Airfix's current standards would be much better!

There's about 3 listed Evil Bay around the £20 mark including free postage which seems to be the going rate! 

Hobby Boss.  Does it have locating tabs for wings?  Cannot abide butt joints without tab support.

It seems that the european based P-61s were of the early varients.  The Airfix appears to be a latter varient with a turret that saw operations in the Pacific.

Can't say about the location pins but reviews say it builds into a nice kit. It's a Hobby Boss Easy Build range with a moderately low parts count but still a good level of detail. 

As you said it's an early ETO aircraft with no upper turret but you can't have everything. You should look at the reviews but the kit/decal scheme you wanted is there! 

I made one of these a while ago and, to me, it turned out fairly well. Like many Airfix kits of the time it definitely doesn't suffer from a shortage of rivets but it's a good base for a decent model, it depends on how much time and effort is put in. The original issue had options for a P61A or 61B so I can't see why the re-release should be any different. Print Scale produce a good decal sheet (P-61 Black Widow / 72-036) for the Black Widow that I used for my replica. It contains markings for several machines in Pacific and European theatres, including 422nd Sqn, both in all black and olive drab/grey cammo. Two have D-Day invasion stripes but these are both otherwise all black. If you decide to try Print Scale decals and haven't used them before be careful because they can be quite difficult to work with. I would advise using very hot water and move them into position as quickly as possible. Once they stick, they are really hard work to move without ruining them. I found it easier to use kit decals where possible. Good luck, if we support the Airfix Classics then hopefully there will be a lot more of them.

Tweezers, you won't find the reviews here as it's not an Airfix kit, Google the kit name with review in the heading or go to Scalemates and search the kit and about 3 reviews are there. 

As Jopres57 says the Airfix kit is due for reissue, and it's a good basic kit with the turret option plus wing stores. As far as I can tell the other main differences in the kits are that the Airfix kit has raised panel lines and loads of rivets, the Hobby Boss kit has the more modern and often favoured recessed panel lines. The choice is yours? 

Looks promising!  Especially if an early "A" version is an option.

I try to support Airix as much as I can, just like I did in the 70s! 😀 Also my LMS = local model shop

Thanks Jopres57 for the tips using  Print Scale.  What about using micro sol and micro set solutions with them?

Thanks Jopres57 for the tips using  Print Scale.  What about using micro sol and micro set solutions with them?

The problem with Print Scale decals is that the decal film is very thin. They do adhere really well, especially with micro sol and micro set; on my model there's no sign of silvering even on the Airfix industrial rivets. As I say the problem is that once they hit the plastic they become stuck in fairly short order so you have to be quick with positioning. The smaller the decal the bigger the problem in my experience. Print Scale do a sheet with 14 options so it may be an idea to practice with any markings you probably won't use on an old model or plastic sheet. Saying that, you do have a sheet with many colourful options so you have to balance the pros and cons. I was fairly happy with the result despite some swearing.