Which DC Controller?

PeteA

Hi, new lad here and could do with some advice.

Want to resurrect old hornby train set from 40+ years ago purely for grandsons, but old R900 Controller no longer works. I have a really good number of old steam and electric locomotives and rolling stock from that era plus also the (steel?) track.

I'm guessing I need to use one of the old-style DC controllers for single locomotive control?

Are there any new / second-hand DC Controllers that you would recommend as a better bet than the R900 I previously had? Also, any pitfalls to look out for if buying second-hand?

I'm just really looking to get trains running again rather than a sophisticated layout.

Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

I presume you're looking at straight DC control?

Modern locomotives generally use less current than older ones, so most built-for-manufacturer controllers, particularly basic 'train set' modern ones will not power your older locomotives, or not for long - they'll cut out.

There are some better controllers, with more power, and others will recommend various makes.

The default 'better' DC transformer / controller is the Hornby / H&M HM2000.

Otherwise, look at Gaugemaster - they have an excellent range of DC and DCC controllers.

Others hugely more experienced than I am will advise in due course.

Al.

Hiya

Yeah I second what Atom says :- 

or even if you can get your hands on a H&M Duette

/media/tinymce_upload/51d4b6a9f3f917a5ea771e8520ae54bb.jpg

The HM2000

/media/tinymce_upload/f81757f27dd85ae6c04ed0c6edb71598.jpg

The HM Duette - both good Controllers but I preferr the Duette!!!

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

I presume you're looking at straight DC control?

Modern locomotives generally use less current than older ones, so most built-for-manufacturer controllers, particularly basic 'train set' modern ones will not power your older locomotives, or not for long - they'll cut out.

There are some better controllers, with more power, and others will recommend various makes.

Otherwise, look at Gaugemaster - they have an excellent range of DC and DCC controllers.

Others hugely more experienced than I am will advise in due course.

Al.

Hi Al, thanks for the info, already looking at what's available from your recommendations. Much appreciated

As this is a Hornby forum the rules state we are only allowed to endorse Hornby products, but apart from the capable HM2000 controller the other Hornby analogue controllers are basically only fit for purpose of running a small out of the box train set, not a decent DC layout, so we cut a bit of slack when folk recommend other make DC controllers such as the decent GM range, etc.

The o/p included the comment - plus also the (steel?) track.

That could be some of the problem! Steel track corrodes, and maybe the fishplates are equally poor, so no power will be getting to the track anyway.

Try a simple length of new nickel-silver track, and see if anything moves then.

Be wary that if the loco's and stock are as old as you say - 40+ years - the wheels will be the old coarse ones, and the flanges are a lot bigger, and may 'bump' over the plastic mouldings of the modern track.

I assume you have stripped down, cleaned, and lubricated all the motors and gears? Old oil and grease can set like concrete!

Also - the motors are probably Ringfields, and the magnets may have faded. They can be revived - at a cost - there are many threads on this around this forum.

That rig should keep the train room nice and warm.

It's always nice and warm in the tropics!

The 60 amp rated power supply barely breaks a sweat powering 25 circuits on the layout and 3 circuits on the "test bed & maintenance depot" board. Plus a shed load of LEDs.

The four 5W rated resistors in series  give 20W "short circuit protection" and remain at room temperature under normal "training", typically 3W.