LBSCR coaches.

LBSCR Nerd

Because no-one makes any!!!

The manufactures obviously cannot see a commercial case for them. To assist you, most goods trains would have been made up of wagons from lots of railway companies. For example, a wagon of something going to Newcastle from Bognor would go all the way to Newcastle in a wagon belonging to another company which was in the area rather than being trans-shipped.

Ordinary vans and wagons of all companies would be in 'the pool'. and to ensure that everyone gained the revenue due the Railway Clearing House would check all transactions on all railways. Passenger and Goods. For example the daily York - Bournemouth and return would have Southern coaches one day, GWR the next.

Hope I've given you a bit of scope, at least for goods workings      😆

PP

The problem that manufacturers face is deciding what will sell well to help them recoup the cost of tooling and then make a sufficient profit to satisfy their shareholders and allow sufficient money for future investmernt. Fail to do this and they go out of business very quickly.

Railway enthusiasts are a fickle bunch, they like one thing one minute and then swap their allegience the next. However there are some broad categories that they can usually sell well.

Modern image is always a good seller, so the latest high speed trains and diesel commuter trains are a fairly good bet.  Very popular with children, who see the trains as contemporaries, but also middle age modellers who like to model the current scene faithfully.

Next comes the British Railways era 1948 to 1968 which most current adult modellers over the age of 55 remember, to a greater or lesser extent. This group probably has better spending power than younger folk who are still trying to buy a home and bring up a family. The fact that it features both steam and diesel allows for a good mix of types. 

Pre-Nationalisation is probably less popular nowadays, although there will always be an interest in the Great Western with all the hype that surrounds the world of Collett and Churchward. The LMS and the LNER have also got their followers and the gee whizz of the era of the streamliners is still a potent attraction. Pre Nationalisation does however have the advantage that most of the locomotives and rolling stock survived well into the BR era and in most cases formed a significant proportion of BR stock. 

Pre-Grouping is pretty much a minority interest, there is very little available, except for things that lasted into the BR period, and the fact that the different railway companies all had such divergent design practices means it is very hard to choose any particular one which will sell in sufficient quantities to justify the cost of tooling. The best a modeller interested in the pre-Grouping era can hope for is that he or she can find long lived items that lasted into BR which were not significantly altered from when they were new. After that it will have to be small cottage industry manufacturers, or kit and scratch building. 

Fortunately for the pre-Grouping aficionado there are many good books on the stations, locomotives and rolling stock available plus a number of special interest societies and the Historical Model Railway Society who hold a lot of drawings and other useful information. There is a special satisfaction about building ones own models.

Before the pre-Grouping era if one wants to think of it like that, of course, is the primitive era, of railway building and experimentation. From 1825 until about 1870 the trains were quite unlike anything that came after. This period is undoubtedly a minority interest amongst railway modellers. Some people, and I am thinking of the late Mike Sharman, made wonderful models of these really primitive but incredibly interesting trains. However they could never be commercially successful, they are much too remote from the memories and experience of people alive today.  This period has also been much less well documented so making models will require considerable research.

Can I turn this question on its head, If manufacturers aren't going to make LBSC coaches then WHY make the locos in that livery?.

With the exception of Stepney (and a couple of other preserved terriers there is nothing to rin them with. I agree that freight trains are a possibility but there is an absance of suitable brake vans (the old 1980s LBSC is not that brillent when stood next to the Hornby/Dapol terrier so I really wonder what it looks like against the new one.

Having received my Bachmann La France (because it was onn offer) I did start to question my sanity as it would have made more sense to have bought a BR or SR version if it were not for the white pullmans I already had. But Pullmans aren't much use with a terrier unless on a Preserved Railway!

Ex-LBSCR coaches that might sell in sufficient numbers to make them a sound commercial proposition would probably be those converted for 2-coach push/pull (or pull/push if you prefer) operation. They were often seen in BR days behind 'H' Class locos on the Central Section, but modellers' licence should make them attractive for all Southern areas.

I converted some Triang GW Clerestory coaches to an exLB&SCR pull & push set, following an article on Model Railway constructor from the 1960s. Just visible behind 31500.

/media/tinymce_upload/2301b8530d61477c472b379e121b1f0b.JPG

These ex Arc roof carriages were used on the Eastern and Central sections, and a few went to the Isle of Wight.  A few were converted from former LB&SCR AC electric carriages. Both 48 foot and 54 foot vehicles were converted.

One type I would love to make is the former SE&CR Railmotor conversions. 8 carriages were converted, 4 became two articulated pair, although never fitted with P&P gear, the other four were normally mounted on two bogies per coach, and formed into two P&P sets.

Hi all

Just a quick point , the Bournmouth > York would have Eastern region marron stock one day and southern green stock the next, if you was lucky pulled by Lion in white. Not sure why the GWR would provide stock. Train reversed at Sheffield Victoria onward to York was a Director turn then a B1 or anything hanging around Darnal.

Derek 19b 

Derek,

This particular train didn't traverse LB&SCR lines so the Bournemouth to York was not really relevant in this thread, BUT most long distance  inter-regional trains tended to be provided by the two regions which were at the start and fionish on a turn about basis, Region A on one day and Region B on the next. This was to allow regions to even out the work needed to service and clean the carriages on turn round. 

From an enthusiast's point of view this added a lot of variety, so you got to see green carriages at Nottingham for example. Motive power on the other hand tenderd to get changed at intermediate points so a Southern engine would work to Kensington, Oxford, Bath or Bristol but a Midland or Western Engine would take it forward from therer. Eastern engines might get to Banbury or Oxford, and Midland engines to York. The same applied to train crew who would not stray too far off their home region.  

There were plenty of trains to and from the South Coast from places in the Midlands, and the North West and North East, especially during the summer for the bucket and spade business. Other trips in the summer included the Wakes Week specials where whole northern towns took their annual holiday all at the same time and descended on Blackpool, Scarborough and a host of other resorts.

Mentioning Scarborough brings me to the peculiarity that there was at one time a lot of holidaymakers from Glasgow and Edinburgh who chose to go there and so special trains were laid on to cater for them. 

Most of this faded away in the 1960s following Dr. Beeching's purge on the coaching stock, and closure of lines and stations. There are of course still North East South West and North West to South Coast services, usually in Voyagers operated by Cross Country, but these tend to be regular tiometabled trains, and the spectacle of trains of 'foreign' carriages full of people with strange accents is sadly a thing of the past. The old Somerset and Dorset line was at one time a key player in all this, but alas it is no more, Sabotaged and Deserted.