New Vulcan Announcement

Kerpert67

I don't know enough about the Vulcan to know the difference, but if you check out the articles in the Workbench blog you might be able to work out which pipes will be supplied (or maybe it will be an option?). Hover over Community in the above menu bar, then click Workbench.

Yes Marine I was about to say Airfix are likely to cover a number of options but in different box releases. And looking at the latest Workbench we will be treated to 2 ordnance options on the 1st release, a full load of 1000lb conventional bombs plus the Blue Steel Stand Off Nuclear device. So that's 2 kits that I will need to fill my shelves

Thanks for the replies folks.   Having given the Workbench articles a good hard stare, they look like the 301 end caps so good news for anyone wanting to do a diorama of Wideawake circa 1982 or XM655, but perhaps not so good news for anyone wanting to make XH558 or XL426. 

Regardless of which flavour it is though, my order is going in real soon...  😎

I won't be alone but my pre-order was submitted yesterday for 2 kits. I think this new tool Vulcan might break all previous records for the number of pre-orders? I know it's going to be a year or so to wait but looking forward to it arriving  😀!!

• 9 months later...

I don't know enough about Vulcans either but the full bay of 1000lb-ers screamed "Black Buck" to me.

BTW there's another Black Buck at East Fortune that did a couple of SHRIKE missile attacks on the Falklands. I've loads of Shrikes in my stash so thats an option. I think the same plane ended up inpounded in Rio for the duration after its refuelling probe broke off mid-mission.

Err it's the first time I heard of that mission? As far as I was aware there was only the 1 Black Buck mission, as although it didn't cause much damage it had the desired effect in denying the Argentine fast jets the use of the airport!

There were 7 Black Bucks. 2-7 didn't really achieve much (in fact 1 got a single bomb on the runway with more luck than we deserved). The problem was the SHRIKE wasn't a great missile in Vietnam. By '82 it was old. The Argentineans shut down their radar and the missiles never hit. The one at East Fortune had two white missile symbols painted on the nose though.

Here's some links. Firstly Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

"During the 1982 Falklands War, Operations Black Buck 1 to Black Buck 7 were a series of seven extremely long-range ground attack missions by Royal Air Force (RAF) Vulcan bombers of the RAF Waddington Wing, comprising aircraft from Nos. 44, 50 and 101 Squadrons against Argentine positions in the Falkland Islands, of which five missions completed attacks. "

This one has a pic of the two missiles on a pylon

https://www.aviationclassics.co.uk/black-buck/

& here's the Daily Express with Mrs T demanding we get our Vulcan back from Brazil  😆

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/621106/Margaret-Thatcher-Falklands-war-Brazil

An excellent read is Vulcan 607 by Rowland White. The lead up to, and, the first raid on the Falklands.  XM607 still exists at RAF Waddington.

I read it... its incredible but its really worrying too. Trying to seal a leaking cockpit window with sandwich wrap for instance. The pyramid of refuelling victors was insane and the navigational requirements on minimal fuel reserve terrifying. How the hell we did it 7 times without killing a crew amazes me.