Wheels Not Moving Freely

Mabohai

Hello

I have inherited various Hornby train sets and track but have not used or even set them up as yet - so please forgive my ignorance here.

I have noticed that  for one of the engines (Flying Scotsman) when held in my hand the wheels will move freely with simple finger pressure. But for two other engines (Princess and Merchant Navy classes) the wheels will not move at all and if I persisted I am sure I would cause damage.

The question is should the wheels move freely even when not on the track? If the wheels should move can the engines be easily repaired? 

Hi Mabohai - welcome to the forum.

The wheels will not move until a suitable electrical supply is connected. The motor will inhibit any movement.

If you want to test the motor a simple 9v battery touched to a wheel on each side will usually rotate the motor [and thus the wheels] providing the motor and linkage has not seized up and the electrical connections are sound.

R-

The models with a motor in the Steam locomotive have a gear train that includes a worm, that will not rotate.

Forcing the wheels may well strip the teeth of the driving gear...

The Ringfield motor in tender drives, and some diesel and electric outline models has the gear train without a worm, so in this case, the wheels can be forced to turn, but it's still not such a good idea, as too much force can again strip the teeth from a gear wheel...

Tender drive steam locomotives have a free wheeling, or should be free wheeling, locomotive, pushed along by the motorised tender..

Heavy tender, with rubber tyres on some wheels...

Lighter locomotive....no tyres...