Let's See Your Unusual 00 Locos

Jimbo1707820979

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surpose to be rare, but took me a long time to find one.

The R159 B-60 Double end diesel, green-blue + yellow with shield. According to Ramsey 1968-70.

Well at least I think it is one.

Top one I believe is rare.

/media/tinymce_upload/4a30f4452a94a67f62dbfb4cea067112.JPG

Three different colours, top one is later one with 'VR'on front.

Hopefully differnt colours show up.

/media/tinymce_upload/bf59df49c93b0e9b184fb7443bde0892.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/bbcfa2a21c9a447899d48ffb890b7763.JPG

Middle looks more greener in daylight.

According to Story of Rovex, Vol 2. Colour was 'Rail Blue'.

Just arrived a loco that  caught my eye on a website auction.

Ramsey does not list this paticuler variation.It was sold as a R2093C. That model should have the BRb logo, as can be seen from the photo the one I bought has a BRc logo.It came in R2093C box and R2093C Instructions.

First thought was that someone had merely changed over the boiler casing, not possible as the only BRc logo 'pugs' Hornby made were all weathered.They did 51235 in BRc as a weathered model, but the numbers are the later colour not as R2093c.The model I have just bought also has the correct number on the boiler door also.

Hopefully photos will show the difference  between weathered versions and non-weathered.

Top shelf on Right the BRc. 51235, unweathered. Bottom shelf, right, normal model.

/media/tinymce_upload/7d93fca43d313d3455feda0c27f923c2.JPG

Bottom, New variation?

/media/tinymce_upload/bd5be79d55dbbcf7a3523ac8175a03e4.JPG

Rest of the Hornby 'Pugs' except R2335. I thought I had that one, but can't find it. Always one.

/media/tinymce_upload/9b2b52b8f3e6bf18b585821aefaa7aed.JPG

Note bottom row, normal weathered BRc.

A marvellous collection. I'm figuring out which locos I would like to own. Not all of them steam. And some of them beyond my pocket anyway. (until I weaken ) 🤔  Your Transcontinental locos are in remarkable condition paint-wise. So many for sale have badly scraped lower portions. I have a couple of these. Still good runners but let down by paint damage.

/media/tinymce_upload/d5adb99ea235f20813abf8f9c39db803.JPG

I have posted this one before but many may not have seen it.

I bought the green Triang Bo-Bo Switcher (the one at the back) at a toyfair as you see it here. It was not very expensive (about £20 or possibly a little less) but the unusual nature of its livery caught my eye.

Looking inside the superstructure it was originally self coloured maroon (a fairly rare beast as it is) but somebody has painted it BR green and added the cab side lining and number from a Triang R53 Princess Elizabeth to its cab. Now I cannot decide if this is a clever amateur repaint reasonably well executed, or something that was done in the factory. The cab side transfers look exactly the same as the Princess which I don't think were available commercially, which is why I wonder whether it WAS done in the Margate factory.

Either way I am none too bothered, I have always liked the Triang switcher, my second favourite Transcontinental type after the Baltic Tank locomotive, but it is a curiosity. I have refrained from stripping the paint to return it into the maroon version, (according to Ramsey the maroon version is worth three times a bog standard yellow one).

Jumbopuff, like you I have a number of transcontinental locos that need some paintwork and transfers tidying up. I have not been able to find a yellow that matches the one Tri-ang used for the double ended diesel so have resorted to re-painting one completely. I did find an orange in the Humbrol range that was very close for the OH electric loco. If anyone knows of any yellow, enamel or acrylic that matches the yellow Tri-ang used on the double ended diesel I would be very grateful for the information. 

I also fond a second OH electric loco in a junk box that was incomplete and had been totally stripped of paint. However, this one had been the two tone green with the widely separated words on the lower body side which I think was the rarest version. I decided to repaint it in two tone green but as the paint was stripped I had free reign over what green I used, it looks like the photos on the internet! Now with Jouef pantographs and runs well but I really need to finish this one off when I get the chance. 

There is someone selling replacement transfers for the transcontinental range on an internet auction site but I haven't tried them as yet. 

I also have a few of the single ended diesels but I will be sorting through them when I get time (This could be a long time away!) and having a clear out As I have some with good paint and logos And don't need them all as some have come as parts of job lots. Many have a moulding flaw on the front, this seems quite common, and a crack in the nose. The red paint used on these seems very inconsistent or maybe it doesn't age well? 

Just arrived, bad news for the person who bought the unique Hornby  maroon Bo-Bo switcher, originally sold via Vectis, then a dealer in MIdlands had it for sale on Ebay for around £1000.00.

There is a least two of them.Just aquired one, as can be seen from the photos the one I have is not the one often shown on the internet.That one has part of the '7' rubbed off one side.

The one I have is the later maroon body with the extra detail but has the later number '7005' usually only found on the yellow version.Plastic is a different maroon colour to later batch, it is same as the 1957 batches.

Photos, the  show difference of the plastics used in early and  later Maroon switchers.

It came from abroad, so I think it was either a factory error or a production sample that did not go into production.

/media/tinymce_upload/14ef3f4e3904a191f9e6e7c6ca79c0f7.JPG

Top one later maroon version,3rd. body. Middle row rare number, 3rd. body. Btm Early maroon 2nd. Body.

Re the maroon Switchers, I strongly suspect the top two with the Mark 3 couplings are 'fakes' although the middle one  is rather a good one. I certainly hope no-one paid £1000 for either of them. 

I seem to remember mine only cost £12.

You are echoing my thoughts. These Tri-ang Switchers are attractive models and have been featured in an excellent video (excluding a lot of casual chat) on YT, John's Wonderful Trains (or was it 'Amazing' ). Some of the prices asked are getting silly -but then - over £120 for a Bachman Class 08 shunter is even more than silly !    IMHO.  Your 46201 LC&DR is a rarish model in green. Is it a repaint do you think ? If not, then you are in luck.  I am currently watching the bidding on a Tri-ang Davy Crockett doubtless spurred on by the nearness of Christmas. Not that I intend to join the rush.

Hi LC&DR and Jimbopuff, Could you please expand on why you think the top two are fakes.

The Top one is well documented as an original production model.

It is listed in Ramsey guide, and can be seen on variuous internet sites.

The middle one, I have closely inspected it and it is definetely the same coloured plastic as the early 1957 issue, that has '5007' on cab side.Plastic is the same colour inside and out.

That particular first colour came with two body variations, with and without the sliding cab roof.

Close examination of the middle one clearly shows that it has the later extra body molding, it has the extra detail just in front of cab and the hatched exhaust.

/media/tinymce_upload/39ea79ad9a1dffee95bbea8c5b0f3912.JPG

7005 has same extra detail.

/media/tinymce_upload/31b8a35f59357afe84bb7a83db7e273c.JPG

Two types of exhausts, early in centre.

/media/tinymce_upload/b3fffddfb21e3df8b1fee659ad919494.JPG

If we except that it is the 3rd. molding, (with the extra detail) it cannot have been modified from the 1974/76 maroon switcher as that is a different colour plastic.

TRI-ANG RAILWAYS & Number, same as the yellow, 1961 switcher.

For more info see Triang Weebly site, shows all editions.

/media/tinymce_upload/369879cd6f650ec690d23dff09a19a2c.JPG

Two variations of the later maroon one , type 3 body and type 4 body. Type 4 body does not have front and rear steps.

/media/tinymce_upload/001bc51a55ef09e7e2b89ca5dcfd78ba.JPG

I would accept that the top one is probably the Australian model R306 which was made in maroon using the later moulds, but I am still suspicious about the one numbered 7005 given that it has has the later couplings which were not used in 1957 but the body does appear to be from a 1957 version. The lettering "Triang Railways" in grot serif capitals shout 1957 to me. However it could indeed be a 'rogue' model R1550 which was moulded in maroon instead of yellow plastic or more likely and even more bizarre, a maroon R155 superstructure from 1957 but fitted on to the later R155 chassis, ex yellow version. The use of the later reversed number is even more confusing.

Whatever it is they are very unusual.

Mine is undoubtedly a repaint as it is moulded in maroon plastic, and has mark 2 couplngs, so I guess is a Margate 1957 model that someone has painted to look like a green one, but with Princess Elizabeth number and lining so is definately a fake.  As to who did the fakery is still a mystery because the transfers are undoubtedly proper Triang ones which so far as I know were not available commercially. 

Hi,LC&DR, The top one, If you google Triang  R308, there are plenty of photos and references to that particular loco.If I recall it it also mentioned in The Story of Rovex Vol 3. I was borrowing that book, and unfortunately I have returned it so I cannot quote from it.

The other maroon,which inside the body moulding has R155 raised inscription.

In the Story of Rovex Vol 1 with amendments, printed in 1993, on page 174, it states that 'sometime during 1960 or 1961 the detail on the long hood was changed. That became the 3rd. body as I described. That dateline is also when Mk3 couplings were started to be used.

In the amendments in Vol 1 page 447, it states that 'An example has been found of the TC Bo-Bo switcher with the 1960 modified body, but in maroon, It is numbered  '7005'.

Again if you look on 'triang weebly' site it shows a picture of the model sold at Vectis and dates it to 1961.

That also has the same 3rd. body, in the dark maroon plastic. The site also shows R308.

Youre particular maroon, painted green model, looks like a 2nd body, the one with sliding cab roof from the 1957 era.

My apologies, New Lad.  Maybe I have become too sceptical in my old age, having been duped quite a few times. And insufficiently informed.   😳  One instance I now recall with amusement is that on my first day in New York in 1952, just off the "Queen Elizabeth" for £58 one-way, I was sold a "diamond" ring for 10 Dollars. The street-seller made a large scratch on a nearby shop-window asking "what's the only jewel that cuts glass ?"  OK, I was hooked.  

On arrival in Charlottesville I visited a jeweller's and asked the value. "Well son, we sell those for 5 ".

There's one born every day.

Congratulations about the Switchers.

I have a Bachmann (sorry but it is not Hornby!) Class 170 DMU, which someone cut and carved to create a totally unrealistic but fun, single coach, double-ended railcar. It is in Midland Mainline livery. The model shop in Alton was selling it secondhand for £25 and I thought, why not?

More basic is a Hornby Railroad Bagnall 0-4-0 diesel shunter that someone painted black from the original red. I bought it on Ebay. I think the red livery was too basic and over-powering. The current green livery one is better./media/tinymce_upload/7eeafbfa687fa6c73de94d3e968d868b.jpg

Hi Jimbopuff, It seems to be a problem in all aspects of modeling, if an item is rare there are those who will try and make a 'quick buck' by producing fakes.Decades ago I used to collect Machbox Models of Yesterday, and there were quite a few fake rare models for sale.

When I saw the maroon switcher for sale I to was sceptical, but I did a lot of research on the internet and reading books.The colour of the plastic was very much in its favour.I have about ten different Triang switchers so could examine those, as I knew the timelines of various models.Also the seller was advertising lots of Triang items from that era most in very good condition.

@New lad on block

Thank you for updating the update image. I forgot about the RailRoad BR Bagnall Shunter released this year (2019). I still need to buy myself one, before the stock of them dries up. I like the Class 06 and Bagnall Shnuters, so I want to try and collect as many as I can, of them!  😆

@Jimbopuff

Yes, Dart's livery is nice. Dart works at the Vicarstown Diselworks, along with Den, a Sentinel Shunter. Den, Dart, were two of the new characters, joining the series in the 2011 film, Day of the Diesels, along with some other characters. Hornby announced and released Dart in 2011 also, so Hornby producing a model of character that released in the TV series in the same was very fast really. I was surprised to see him join the range so quickly myself. I do wish though that Hornby announced Den to be released the same year as Dart, or a few years after before Hornby gave the license up. Would be nice to own both.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Here are a couple of unusual starter locos from Tri-ang Hornby. I have one of the Swedish diesels somewhere as well but can't find it. These were used in starter sets and all had the same chassis. The 'Barclay' diesel shunter is a modified version of the North British one, see damaged body above it. The body was modified to take the new chassis with a can motor instead of the Nellie type with the X04. The blue steam loco can also be found with a black chassis or a ablack body And a number of different chassis types including clockwork in many colours. The diesel shunter was also reputedly made in red but I have never seen one. 

/media/tinymce_upload/08472b5d2edcb669936e36daeb24e622.jpg

Also, early on in this thread I mentioned some conversions I did before you had a decent choice of locos So they would have been unusual at the time! A 24 and a 25/3 converted from the standard Hornby model, a baby Deltic modified from a Hornby Class 37 body with class 29 bogies and a scratch built class 15 on Hymek bogies that I never got to modify. I chose to number the 25/3 on one of the few members of the class that had the same tanks as the standard Hornby model to avoid having to chop it about too much. 

/media/tinymce_upload/77af4a63470578663aa7ac20b00913ca.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/750bcff5007bb69c18e763fdf60a94b0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/83eddea3a26cf0ce10d62a91424116fe.jpg