copper braiding the track?

Mac999

Do you mean copper braid or tape? I have seen quite a few Scalextric tracks with adhesive copper tape on top, none with braid.

If you have a permanent layout, it will help with the continuity. With all plastic sectional track systems there is an inevitable voltage drop at each track join. If you keep the track clean and the tabs tight (www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance), each drop will be very small - but as you progress around the circuit, the cumulative effect will eventually become noticable. That's why most long-ish tracks are fitted with power taps - it boosts the voltage back up to the voltage level next to the powerbase (minus a very small drop due to resistance in the power tap cable).

What the copper tape will help do is to minimise the voltage drop between power taps - as there are no breaks between track pieces. Of course, the tape will need careful maintenance and can rip quite easily. If you change your layout, the tape will need to be replaced. Some racers swear by it, most get on absolutely fine with good track maintenance and power taps. If you are running a Scalextric digital system, you should also consider using INOX MX3 - just a couple of drops on each car's braids at the start of the night: www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/brand/inox

I hope that helps

I am with woodcote here. On newer Sport track if you are careful you shouldn't need copper tape.

I have used copper tape on some old Classic track that was so far gone I couldn't get a decent connection.

It worked well.

The problem with tape is gettting curves to work properly...

• 7 months later...