Nanking blue for Triang Blue Pullman???

Trainmadtommo

Hi everyone.

I'm currently restoring a pair of Hornby/Triang Blue Pullmans but can't seem to find a good colour match for their respray. I've bought the Railmatch Nanking Blue but it's nowhere near the correct colour. Does anybody out there know of a better match or what colours I could mix to get the right shade?

The only accurate way to match a colour  is to take a specimen of the colour to compare to the colours in the shop. What are you comparing the colour you have  bought with? 

Are you trying to match it with the colour on the trains. If they are  old  the paint may have faded quite a lot. 

Hi walkingthedog, thanks for replying.

The only Nanking Blue I've found is by Railmatch and, yes, I'm trying to match the colour on my 50+ year-old trains. No other blue paint that I've looked at is anywhere near Nanking Blue but the Railmatch is a few too many shades 'bluer' than the trains. I'm thinking of trying to mix in a drop of dark green or something.

Good luck with matching the shade by mixing, it's probably the only way you'll get it near the colour you want. I don't think Tri-ang were particularly good at maintaining colours in the fist place whether with plastic or paint, and depending on how and where the stock has been since it may have faded or changed colour slightly anyway. The only way I have got near is by taking a model to the shop with me. Unfortunately my local shop with a good range of paints has closed down.  ☹️

Many car bodywork shops have paint mixing schemes where you can mix any colour you want and also carry colour chip books. They can also supply in cellulose acrlic and water base paint. If you were to look in a colour chip book and find a suitable colour it can be ordered in an aerosol or small tin from the likes of PaintsRus, Regards, Ard.

Thats why my Deltic DP1 looks more like a French racing car due to the French Blue paint coming from Halfords.

/media/tinymce_upload/fc3c8a56c05958c0841666589c483817.jpg

Versus

/media/tinymce_upload/dfebfb6a5d2a508295f0bbaa7b1e60f2.jpg 

Colour matching, especially blue and green is fraught with difficulties. It isn't only the hue but the reflectivity will affect how you see it. Triang Blue Pullman is self coloured plastic (at least my one is!) which (a) probably wasn't an exact match to the Nanking Blue used on the real thing in the first place, and which Railmatch will have tried to reproduce from Pullman colour specification and (b) will have discoloured with age. Being self coloured plastic it will also have a sheen which will be very difficult to reproduce with paint. 

At about the same time Triang were making the Blue Pullman they were also making 'Nellie' and Caledonian 123 and a class 31 diesel all in blue, and I suspect the blue plastic they used was all a very similar shade.

If you are trying to match colour exactly you may have to do as Ard Lochan above suggests and seek the help of one of the shops who offer colour matching.  Take the model along with you.

Don't know about models, but car respray and accident repair shops have a gadget that scans the existing colour and gives the operator a paint colour mixing schedule.

Hi everyone and thank you all for your replies and knowledgeable advice. I'll certainly look into some of your suggestions although I will have a go at mixing another colour in with the Nanking Blue I've already got rather than waste it. I've got enough. To mix up several 3ml pots so, hopefully, I'll be able to get somewhere near to the colour of my existing self-coloured-plastic stock. I've got 8 of these so it would be a huge job to repaint them all just for the sake of the renovations on the 2 that I'm doing. I'll let you know how I get on and perhaps I'll post a few photos (if it turns out worth looking at). Don't hold your breath!

That looks better still - its got the Brooklands Green I think I use for Brunswick - I found one somewhere months ago which mentioned to use Land Rover Green - I think it was that one ...

Lists exist made by others who've spent days preparing them.

What I do is to select that which describes what I'm looking for and ... Google an image - or even car painted in that colour.

Al.