Which oil to use

Shipleyloco

It is genuinely believed that 3 in1 and WD40 will over time damage some plastics used in models. It is recommended that genuine model oil is used from a reputable supplier. Say for example any of the on-line model retailers such as Hattons, Rails, Gaugemaster etc. Model oil I believe is mineral based and considered a light rather than heavy oil....the same oil type is typically used in oils that are marketed as 'Sewing Machine' oil and probably the same oil as used for Electric Hair Clippers.

With regard the actual act of oiling, use very sparingly. If you can readily see the oil, you have used too much is the usual mantra on this forum. Such a small amount should be used that even a small vial should last for years. The proper model oils usually come with an inbuilt applicator to ensure that minimal amounts are applied......see (follow) link below.

For more information on oil availability and confirmation not to use 3 in 1 or WD40 or other general purpose lubrication, follow this link:

https://modelrailwayengineer.com/what-is-the-best-oil-to-lubricate-your-model-train-with-what-not-to-use/

Thanks for the link explaining why not to use 3 in 1! I had often wondered why as it came up so many times on threads here......

Many years ago, whilst discussing a noisy Evening Star, the owner of my favourite model shop suggested a thicker oil for older Ringfield gears, like GTX.........its been running fine ever since. Everything else has had Singer SM oil, which, like Yelrow, I have found to do a great job.

It may depend upon the plastic used to mould the components, some are more resistant to attack than others, and there are some plastics that will respond to liquid poly and some that will not, so repairs have to be made with super glue, and others don't. Personally I wouldn't take the risk, and I use Electrolube or similar.

Some old Hornby Railways instructions, 1970s and a 1980s mentioned using 3 in 1.

The old Shell oil supplied with Tri-ang Railways Locomotives was a nice oil, quite thick compared to some of the modern lubricants.

Tolerances have changed over the years I suppose, and tighter tolerances need thinner oil, to get in and lubricate...