Bridge (Metcalfe) too narrow.

Guest Chrissaf

You asked exactly the same question on the other forum and we gave you advice what to do. Apart from what we suggested the only other choice is make it wider. 

Hornby track is set at 67mm spacing, but the more realistic spacing should be 50 mm which is what Streamline is set at, so you need to insert a new 17mm wide section to the bridge deck to get the appropriate clearances.  Having never built one I don't know how easy this would be but I guess you need to cut some cardboard strips 17mm wide and using some cross bracing inside the bridge structure to reinforce it glue them between the deck and the parapet.

Hi anyone else had a problem with metcalfe railway bridge being a bit narrow the track is the normal width 67mm but really tight against the walls of the bridge don't really want to change the layout any ideas 

Nick/media/tinymce_upload/1efccab4694adbdf6f3c999dc51961e4.jpg

In Nick's defence....look at the dates......he posted this post on the 10th Jan and the post has been delayed due to the current lack of admin support to approve his image. He may have posted this question here BEFORE the other forum. He also may not have done......I haven't checked the other forum for dates. But with the current admin issue still not resolved, it would be wise to 'cut posters some slack' when images are involved.

hi all i did wonder why the post tock so long to go on I've received sum flexi track looks like it will do the trick just debating whether to buy a dremal to cut it to length or try a small hacksaw its whether il use the dremel for other things later on 

Nick

I agree with JJ, as the scenics are not complete and there is ample wiggle room simply slit the whole bridge in half and widen it by a bit as required.

Apologies  - JJ was suggesting widening the parapet walls, whereas LC was suggesting a total bridge widening.

... note to self - read digest and remember before posting a reply.

Unfortunately, clearances for our model railways are subject to much compromise, mainly due to lack of space in the average house to lay realistic radius curves. The 67mm distance between parallel track centres is largely determined by the need to avoid contact between lengthy coaches and other long model vehicles, when passing those on the adjacent track on small radius model curves. The minimum centre distance on 'the big railway' scales at close to 45mm on straight track, but this is increased on curves to avoid the same problem in real life! Unfortunately you have a level crossing close to your bridge with the same 67mm track centres, otherwise I would have suggested replacing part of your fixed radius curves with flexitrack and reducing the centre to centre distance across the bridge. That might have been an easier option than widening the bridge.