New Hush Hush W1

Modelnut19

I guess I will have to see what the liveries turn out to be but I suspect the "promotional" version will be grey with white lining. I am trying to decide whether this livery or what I assume will be the more traditional green LNER livery will be better. Does anyone know if the original W1 was always grey until it was rebuilt?

Hi

At no time have I ever seen a mention of the 'Hush-Hush' being any colour other than Battleship Grey. This is a difficult colour to be certain about - the navy had two (at least) shades of this colour. Home Fleet grey was significantly darker than the grey used in the Mediteranium and West Indies which is the colour used today.

Don't ask where I saw it (can't remember) but I have seen a superb model of the loco as built but it was mid-grey, similar to Humbrol 96.

After rebuilding the loco followed the colours laid down for A4 - Garter Blue etc.

Excellent info in the link from WtD.

Mention is made of 'dark battleship grey', so I suppose that answers the 'which of the 2 battleship greys was it?' question.

As far as the 'promotional' livery is concerned, this apparently only existed on cigarette packet cards or the era, and I've seen reference being made to a grey front, with the rest in lined 'Doncaster green'.

Naming of 'British Enterprise' again was proposed, but never happened.

I've also read that subsequent to the re-re-build into the A4-esque locomotive, into B.R. days, it was also proposed to name it 'Pegasus', never fulfilled, but INTERESTING!

Fantastic locomotive - original and rebuilt.

I've ordered ... erm ... 2 - original and final rebuilt B.R. one.

Roll on next year ... and possibly a bit, but it'll be worth the wait.

Al.

The fact it's named Dark Battleship Grey proves nothing  -  does anyone remember seeing it in grey? Reminds me of a couple of guys I saw at Didcot about 5 years ago having a row about the shade of 'Sand' applied to the 43xx Mogul. No-one alive who remembered that! 

Cigarette box colours are no basis for model colours    😉

Curiously there have been accounts of Battleship Grey being used for many BR 16 ton Mineral Wagons built after WW2 . Now I have seen a lot of these wagons in my time, but the vast majority which still had significant amounts of paint still clinging to them (not a particularly large sample) were a very light grey almost white with a hint of green or blue in the pigment. 

Colour is a remarkably difficult topic to resolve. I think it is fairly certain that the 'Hush-Hush' was grey (possibly 'Photographic Grey' as used by workshops for the first photograph?) but how dark is not easy to determine. 

The Silver A4s too had parts picked out in grey and this was a fairly dark shade. 

The subject is a minefield!

As an aside...

The Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company (controlled by the London & North Western Railway Company) purchased a large quantity of Battleship Grey paint, probably from the Admiralty, after the Great War.

Amongst other things, it was used to paint the balance beams of the canal lock gates.

The parts "Traditionally" painted black were painted grey.

• 1 month later...