Grumble... 060PT with 4Pin (!) Decoder

dlaloum

Hi Folks,

A bit of a grumble...

We got the Western Mater set for my son - with elink/railmaster etc...

All good, he has been running it.

But when compared to some of the other Locos I have, fitted with 3rd party decoders (DCC Concepts and LaisDCC) - the acceleration/decceleration settings are woeful... 

So I took it appart thinking I will swap in an alternate decoder.... 8pin, or 6pin I thinks to myself.... but no - it is a 4pin plug in..... a complete Non-Standard....

So to fit an alternate decoder I need to rewire it with a 6 or 8 pin harness (or hardwire...)

I am disapointed with the decoders adjustability in terms of Acc/Decceleration in an otherwise good product - such a simple thing to get right! (and yet...)

To be honest all the Hornby loco decoders are bit on the basic side in terms of adjustability. I think it is the 'It's a toy' mentality.

All the Hornby basic decoders are based on the R8249 item and all can have their accel/decell adjusted.

Set CVs 3 and 4 to a low value (0-5) for quick response or a higher value (25-50) for more sedate response.

Hi raf 

Yes I tried that, but the most gradual accel/deccel I could get was far more expeditious than desired. ( stops within an engine length or 2) hence the disappointment.

But if you tell me that a better response should be possible, I will recheck my cv's and try reprogramming....

Don't forget the weight of the 0-6-0T is much lighter than say a 4-6-2 Tender loco, some of which have better motors with flywheels so the performance re: accel/decel will be markedly different.........try adding some weight to the 0-6-0 and resetting CVs 3 & 4........BEMF is affected by the load on the loco also........HB

I am not at all sure if you an instant stop/start or a gentle one. Instant stops then set a low value or if you want it to take its time accelerating or decellerating bung in a high value e.g. 255 will see you setting it of, having your dinner and it may have moved a bit.

5 is the default for these CVs.

Hi raf 

Yes I tried that, but the most gradual accel/deccel I could get was far more expeditious than desired. ( stops within an engine length or 2) hence the disappointment.

But if you tell me that a better response should be possible, I will recheck my cv's and try reprogramming....

The rate of acceleration is also dependent on your selected speed steps