Hornby Class 50

50FAN

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again

No thats fine.

Heres another quick question.

Hornbys latest 50 Leviathan.What year was it based on and whats missing from the buffer beam that is not on the model or in the accessory bag and why? Its on every photo I see of Leviathan.

Thanks

What year is the Hornby class 50 Leviathan model supposed to represent.

1968 when the original was built.

Why is it omitted from this particular model.

Because the poor girl who works 40 hrs a week just picking and packing bits of plastic for a few yen missed it on this occasion.  You could try to make one........... 😆...........HB

ok

Sorry not getting it.

140-170 quid for a fine detail model and the detail is missing cause some girl missed it?

Girl?

Yen?.I thought they were made in China

Make one?Should I bill Hornby?

It was a simple question.Just wanted to know if there was a particular reason for it other than that.

Oh my god ive been sucked in,this could go on as long as I can be bothered to sit at my chosen device for communication.

Spare me!

howbiman 

what do you know of Hornby 50's

I have this one, R2802XS 'Valiant'. Excellent runner and great sounds. This is the front view with factory fitted pipes etc..........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/4c34a6516365cdaed30762e987306511.png

Thanks for reply .Good photo

Right looking at your photo,bottom left hand see the red painted pipe surface to buffer beam leads to an external pipe.Is this steam heat or vacuum.

This pipe which falls back on its self under the buffer beam is omitted from Leviathan.If I had one example I might have accepted your Japan/China Theory but it is missing on all.

So my question and its reason will still go back to my O/P.

Thanks

A good link,many thanks.

And as to prices changing,yes im sure they are a far cry from 9yrs ago and when putting Leviathan against some of the other 50s produced by Hornby quality seems to be going in the opposite direction.Having said that the adjustments to the internals are much better.

Thank You

Steps on my 50 look fine enough.

I've a R2474 purchased 18 months ago.

It's an absolutely superb runner - just had it tearing around the track at probably a scale speed of 100 +/-5 mph with ease, 2/3 'throttle' on my HM2000.

I've got my Virgin Class 43 out for a run, so I hooked the 50 up to the 8 Mk.3's - giving the HST a rest - only 4th radius circle test track but good enough to see the guys given a little workout.

Al.

As it was a constant, 4th radius circle, I had no problems.

I suppose were it to have been on a 'proper track' I may have encountered a few problems.

Truth be known, at 2/3 throttle, DC converted, it was genuinely moving quite fast, without problem, and never had a single one for I reckon over 45 minutes - decent run as I said!

Feeling around and smelling on removal - cold and no odours - wonderful locomotive, and so smooth at low power.

Fan?

Yes, still working, 'though it's not run that often so it should do. Definitely one of Hornby's finest - and there are many!

Liked the 'Hoovers' since I first saw one at Newquay station many moons ago!

Al.

Morning

WTD

Do the pipes vary depending on the year it represents. Have you checked it against the real thing.

Going back to my second post I did ask the question if anyone knew what particular year Leviathan was based on.I can find photos in Large Logo from 1981 right through to 1988 nothing for 89 and scrapped in 90.All photos show said pipe in situ.Just wondered as to why Hornby left this out on this particular model.Also its not that i have a rogue one as i have several of this model all the same.

Atom3624

Fan?

Yes, still working, 'though it's not run that often so it should do.

I don't know how we got onto the subject of the fan but that's fine.

Leviathans fan is present with the housing but with no mechanical internals to be driven and even if it were you could not hook it up to the motor via the elastic band method as in other 50s because they have changed the motor to what appears to be a class 31 motor.

I am a great fan of class 50s and in no way was I slating the model.There have been some big improvements to this model internally mainly the wiring which is all hard wired now.There are things that have been taken out possibly deemed not necessary for example the 4x2 pin plastic lugs that hold the wiring in place along the top edge of the chassis and as mentioned the drive for the fan(not everybody's cup of tea granted) the change of the motor and said vacuum/steam pipe and also the printed cab partition detail.I suppose as long as it wizzes round whence on track that's fine.

This model and all examples before it has a good heavy weight/feel and is a fantastic runner at all speeds(when looked after)

So it was only back to the original question if anybody knew the year it was based on because I don't and if nobody knows then that's fine.

Thanks

Sorry WtD I misinterpreted your comments regarding the buffer beam - was being bombarded by youngest showing his Monster Jam videos!!

No ideas how much they may have changed in 1:1 or by Hornby.

Mine has at least 5 pipes plus the 'electric connection' which you disconnect for body removal - all intact and still permitting the NEM tension lock coupling - none are trimmed aka Heljan on mine.

As I'd stated on mine it was on a near-constant 4th radius circle of track, but I had safely left all running at quite high speed for 40+ minutes without fault.

I love seeing the fan start to move when pulling off slowly - not like 'the videos'! - and speeding up.

I suppose @50FAN I was relating 'fan' to your Avatar / Forum name!

Looking at Hornby and 1:1 photos just now, the steps look pretty close - perhaps the vertical parts could be a little finer, but dimensionally they look OK.

Pipework itself does seem to vary - I suppose based upon location and locomotive requirements / rolling stock available.

Al.

• 8 months later...