LNER Silver Jubilee and Coronation Trains!

AlecWilliamFry

With all the A4s that are available don't you think it would be nice to have the proper coaches? I am talking about the articulated silver sets for the Jubilee and the double-blue ones for the Coronation.

(I am trying to be more authentic with

the coaches on my layout)

Alec

Hi,
It's a lovely thought but I suspect we will be saying the same thing 10 years time. The attitude seems to to be that the locos are the glamour which brings in the money whereas coaches are just something to put behind the locos - it doesn't matter

if they match.

Of course Silver, Green and Blue A4s hauled 'normal' trains in Teak so you can still have your authentic trains.

Regret to say Jacob is being wildly optomistic - the blue coaches have never been made and the silver ones which were

supposed to go with the silver A4 were ordinary LMS coaches painted silver. Hardly authentic!!

Sign me up for two A+B sets along with the beaver tail observation car in sky blue + Garter blue as suitable for the Coronation. This set is the reason that A4s were painted Garter blue in the first place! I'd even buy a Garter blue A4 to go with

them.

The Silver Jubilee sets would also be good for modellers of Mallard's record run. I could well be wrong but I understand that along with the dynamometer car, the record run was made with two A+B sets from the Jubilee stock.

The

jubilee and Coronation sets are listed in the MREmag poll every year, but relatively few people vote for them. The Quad-art teak suburban sets are much more popular with the voters. They certainly are more work-a-day but to me don't have the elan of the express

stock.

Hi Ozex

Suggest you try it again with the wording slightly changed. I'm going on holiday at 0700 tomorrow, so I hope to see it before I go, although I doubt if SWMBO will let me come on the forum tomorrow before we leave.

Hi Guys,
Well at least you get excellent detailed coaches for your stream loco's. Think about us Diesel guys we got a excellent HST power cars, to put with out of date MK3 coaches. It would not take much to improve them (well the Hornby one's not ex

Lima's). Tinted windows, NEM close coupling, improved gangway ends, lighting and separate handrails, oh and a new TGS. These coaches will be around for years to come, so would be nice to have them looking good with the power cars. I am sure it will not belong

before someone else gets round to producing them.
Pete

I'm guessing that it might have been my reference to a large aquatic rodent with a flat tail for swimming that is native to much of the northern parts of North America that caused my post to be held.

The post

is there now, though none of the formatting/emphasis has survived.

Well yes, I think the point of this thread is to lobby for the articulated Silver Jubilee, Corornation and West Riding coach sets.

Since they

are a two-coach A+B set, even shorter rakes are easy to put together and longer rakes only require a name change. Arguably, it's easier for Hornby to model three different units: A+B and observation car (I'll decline to describe it's shape) than for example

the six different Hawksworth outlines:
o Gangway brake
o Brake Third
o Composite Brake
o First
o Third
o Composite

This is the first time I've heard of the Coronation Beavertail coach. I can't believe how good the original streamlined version looks, especially in the silver and two tone blue colour scheme.

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, but is the real LNER

Garter Blue a little more blue in real life than the Hornby Garter Blue?

Hi Poliss

I think you'll find both of these vehicles were part of the Flying Scotsman set, rather than the streamliners. If I've misunderstood you, I apologise but I've spent the best part of the evening catching up on here

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for quite a while.
Ozexpatriate, it was actually the Coronation set that was behind Mallard's record run without the observation coach, but with a teak Dynomometer car which is preserved in the National Rail

Museum in York.
I do not think we will see these coaches in OO r-t-r form due to there limited time frame. If you want a set of Silver Jubilee Articulated or Coronation coaches you will have to kit build them. I have built the Silver Jubilee set from the

obsolete Mailcoach kit and recently finished buying the Coronation Set from the same manufacturer. The Coronation set is available in etched brass too, but too heavy for Hornby A4s.
MArk

I had recollected

that the picture I saw did not have two-tone coaches. This picture proves otherwise: http://album.atomic-systems.com/showPic.php/22422/MallardRecord2.jpg
You are correct - it is the Coronation set. Thanks for pointing that out.

The limited time frame makes no never mind for "specials" like premier trains. With all the numbering changes, almost any LNER livery has an equally

limited time frame anyway. In revenue service, Mallard wore the number 4468 for no more than eight years. (It has been 4468 in preservation for much, much longer!)

There has been a big trend in the US to model accurate formations of express trains over

the last ten years. The notion that this does not apply to the British market because the US market is so much bigger is nonsense. The US market is even more fragmented than the British market by region - particularly before the megamergers of the most recent

decades.

I don't model the LNER, but I would certainly purchase Mallard in garter blue with a matching Coronation set - just because. Sure, kits are available and kudos to those who attempt them. I won't be able to achieve the quality I want by building

kits. Regrettably, my talents do not lie in that direction.

• 2 years later...
Hi

Did anyone see the review in the April 2014 Hornby Magazine of the Golden Age Silver Jubilee 7 coach articulated coach set they have resently brought out. It being a twin triple twin set

Why can't Hornby bring out their own limited edition

version of this severn coach set with a reissue of one of the 4 silver A4s?

Archived