Fitting DCC to Caledonian 0-4-0

Oldvideotech

Most 0-4-0 bodies are simply held in place by little lugs at front and/or back of the loco seen under the chassis frame.

These lugs can be released with a small flat bladed screwdriver whilst pulling on the body.

The lugs press in fore/aft or sideways, easily seen from observation.

Be aware some locos have a single screw at one end to hold it all secure, but most don’t.

The only awkward bit is the spring that holds the motor in place can be a pest to wiggle past.

Then once you have the body off, the diagram HB has included above puts the lie to Hornby's guide on DCC installation for 0-4-0s. The guide says you have to remove the motor as it is mounted connector side down.  The diagram shows it to be connector side up.  Therefore ignore all the detail about removing and reinstalling the motor, just disconnect everything as per the guide, don't reinstall the suppression components and all you have to do is the red, black, orange and grey wire connections as per the guide.

I have hard wired two of these fairly recently, one had the motor terminals on top, the other below. Both are running well, but one (newer)needed virtually nothing to slow it down,and is very controllable ,the other (out of a newish set I believe) needed cv 5 reduced quite a bit. They both had the capacitors removed, but the latter has a tiny lurch after coming to a halt. DC turned off makes no difference, but BEMF off does stop it. I guess what I'm saying ,is that these little locos can be a touch inconsistent, but for the price, they are remarkable.