Help can anyone identify this set

Boroal

/media/tinymce_upload/82bcc31e9c1d67a3c0b280127b72b889.JPGJust been in the loft and found this set I had as a kid. Wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it. I know it's old I am in my fifties now. I have ordered the Hogwarts set as I have a bit of a Harry Potter project going on. I guess it would be okay to use the track from this set to expand the new one. No idea if the loco works but I hope to get it going. I am new to all this as my main hobby is flying RC planes. Thanks in advance 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The controller in the box takes two 6 volt "lantern" batteries. 😉

Ever Ready 996 was one type I seem to remember...

Current Hornby track will join to the track in the set.

The track in the set will have coated steel rails. These can go rusty if the coating is damaged.

Current track is Nickel Silver, which doesn't actually rust.

To compare colours it is necessary to view them side by side, different cameras and different film (if one is using film still) will reproduce colour subtly differently and lighting conditions (indoor under LED, indoor under flourescent, indoor with flash, outdoor in sunshine, outdoor overcast etc.) will also give significantly different results. 

I have invested in a colour matching bulb which I use whenever I need to accurately compare colour, by eye. Unless you posess a very accurate (and expensive) digital camera it will not reproduce colour accurately, although the differences may be small it will still notice.

It's the buffer beam that makes me think it's an Airfix one, I haven't checked the number. Excellent 5 pole motor let down by plastic chassis parts that break and I think the body was too short. Even though it was seen as a vast improvement for RTR diesels at the time the front never looked right to me. I have had a few but recently got rid of them all. I much prefer the Tri-ang version. 

Oddly the Airfix one copied the Tri-ang version in having false wheels in th middle of the motor bogie which were little more than plastic stumps. 

@ Rana :- Your very Clever & Correct - I would even go afar to say that if you had said that it had come from the following train set - then I would have been extra impressive with you!!! :-

/media/tinymce_upload/e317c58c1f977c9a1edbade4233b5181.JPG

@ LC :- Film??? who uses film these days??? Specially in the age of digital - I gave up Film well over a decade ago!!!!  😉 😀 😆

@ Rana (again)  😉 😀 :-

Oddly the Airfix one copied the Tri-ang version in having false wheels in th middle of the motor bogie which were little more than plastic stumps.

Oh you mean like this...

/media/tinymce_upload/c753e559a6ae612d18e3e47d35756668.JPG

It only cost my Dad £15.50 From Barnards (A toy shop that not longer exsists) back in the day - some where in the 1980's I think!!!

JJ the diesel was also in another set which I think was called Dr X or something similar, I think it had the same wagons. For some reason I thought it was the blue loco in the set That you have. The blue version was definitely in the passenger set with 2 coaches. As I said I always thought there was something thing not quite right about the cab fronts of the Airfix version. I have had a few but recently got rid of the ones I had left. 

I think the track in the Airfix sets was OK with Tri-ang stock, the Mainline track was definitely lower profile (code 75?) yet both were made by Peco. Airfix was black and matched Hornby, Mainline was brown. 

Airfix also did a Wild West set with a cowboy that dropped through a hole in the roof of a coach and I'm not sure if the coach exploded. I will have a look through some old catalogues. 

Nice box, I did like the artwork on the Airfix sets and their catalogues. 

@Jimyjames

Out of interest, is your Airfix Railway System 54055-7 B.R. Diesel Mixed Freight Train Set complete, with the x2 ventilated vans, lowmac with crate, track and controller?

@Rana Temporia

I also like Airfix Railway System's artwork. The image on the front of Jimyjames' train set is lovely.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Jacob - Do you mean this...

/media/tinymce_upload/5ea606914efe4779940ced8974898e15.JPG

Your were kind close with the number & ...

/media/tinymce_upload/bd2c82a9aa8a0034e875df9b4907e2bf.JPG

But sadly I don't ever remember what the controller looked like - all I remember (inwhich I've still got & work great  😀) is my H & H Duette twin Controller

This is what was in side...

/media/tinymce_upload/810a21aa440e2b1b4eafa955d967fc43.JPG

The track is all mixed with my other track - My Track is either made by Hornby, Airfix or by Lima!!!

Thank you Jacob - Yes I agree with you  - The Airfix Artwork is Lovely!!!  😀

The product number that I supplied, 54055-7, is for your Airfix Railway System B.R. Diesel Mixed Freight Train Set.

So you are missing the original controller, the two ventilated vans and the lowmac with the crate?

I prefer to have track, all from the same manufacturer. However, that does not mean that track from more than one manufacturer, cannot be used together.

I also spotted an error on your train set box, in the contents list. It says on the front of the box "Two Ventilated Good Vans", but it should say "Two Ventiated Goods Vans". They missed the letter 'S' off the word 'goods', which gives that sentence a completely different meaning.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Jacob - WOW - in the 35 - 40 odd years I've had that Train set I have NEVER noticed that 'mistake / error' b4!!!

I see what you mean now -  😆 sound like those 2 ventilated vans have been 'Good' & not 'Bad or naughty' like those 'Naughty Coal truck' from Thomas the Tank engine!!!  😆 lol

The product number that I supplied, 54055-7, is for your Airfix Railway System B.R. Diesel Mixed Freight Train Set.

Double WOW Jacob - Your also impressing me tonight!!! Just found the Code number on the side :-

/media/tinymce_upload/50019c6fede7607c8569a9b23304e955.JPG

How on earth did you know that???

Also every thing inside the box is present & Correct (apart from the  original controller which I have no memory of  ☹️ - may be that is why my Dad got me the H & M Duette)

/media/tinymce_upload/579057ca05bb4744f7fd1a5e8f3ee170.JPG

You will notice that 1 of the ventilated van is @ the front of the A1A-A1A - that is b/c it has lost / broke it coupleing - so it has to be push around & can't be pulled around!!!

It says on the front of the box "Two Ventilated Good Vans", but it should say "Two Ventiated Goods Vans". They missed the letter 'S' off the word 'goods', which gives that sentence a completely different meaning.

Not as much as your spelling of Ventilated 😛