Help can anyone identify this set

Boroal

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ok Jacob - I'll let you off!!! 😆 I thought you were going to say some thing amazing like I don't know you remember it from a shop display from 10 yrs ago or some thing & not "I looked up the train set on Google" - YARN!!!  😆 I suppose they do say 'Google is your Friend!!!'  😆 😀

No, I did not know the poduct number off the top of my head. I can remember most of the Hornby Thomas & Friends product numbers off the top of my head, but that's just because it's one of my hobbies and that's the main model railway product range, that I am interested in, as I am sure you know already.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

@ Rana :- Thanks again with your 2 links with the Airfix Railway system - b/c I have just found a picture of what the battery controller looked like :-

www.airfixrailways.co.uk/Power.htm

I don't remember that & it is the 1st time in about 40 yrs I've seen what it looked like!!!  😀 I'd thought thatI'#d never see what it used to look like - but now I have!!! & I thank you 😀 

Jacob - think about it - it's not really

How daft and silly!  😆

B/c The Loco, Wagons, track & controller all had to be protected - you don't want them all sliding around inside the box - crashing into each other & being damage now - would you??? - It was the old fashion way of doing things - Like if you bough the Highland Rambler like I did...

/media/tinymce_upload/bf698f725596d4e42f734acf870f99d3.JPG

It is all protected safley in the polystilring - you would want to open the box & find it all lose now - would you!!!

You haven't customized the train have you, Jimyjames, so each indvidual item in your Airfix Railway System 54055-7 B.R. Diesel Mixed Freight Train Set, have you?

No I have not - all I have done many many years ago (when I was a lot younger) I noticed that the sticker was stating to come off - so I used tape to stick it back on again!!! Why do you ask???

/media/tinymce_upload/9bf0821eeb0187dd1e8f327b4de00675.JPG

Jimyjames, you have got the wrong end of the stick. What I mean by my previous post in this thread, is that you don’t need boxes inside of a box. That’s wasted packaging. Granted, packaging is needed inside of the box, but not indvidual boxes for each model, track and controller.

All you need inside of the train set box, is a simple cardboard or polystrene tray. This is less overall packaging wasted, than each item having it’s own box, inside of the train box.

Has each indvidual box inside of the train got it’s own product number sticker label on the side of the box?

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Before moulded expanded polystyrene (Argh - single use plastic!!) was used most trainsets came packed in carefully designed cardboard trays, with cut outs and keeps which both safeguarded the contents and displayed them attractively. Very often the trays were printed yellow which set off the contents remarkably well. There was something almost magical as the box lid was removed and the contents were revealed. Somehow for me polystyrene devalues the appearance.

Having the set contents in separate boxes was not new to Airfix...

Some Tri-ang Hornby sets, not many granted, came so packed.

It does make it easier for a retailer to split up the set contents, to sell separately.

It also means that there is no need to make a tray...

Hornby Dublo Train Sets...

Images sourced from the internet...

Early Set...

/media/tinymce_upload/ae4645ea9b8014aa871b00558c798159.jpg

Later Set...

/media/tinymce_upload/7ab24bdf37493d65888bbcc245df6a12.jpg

Still Later Set...

/media/tinymce_upload/f9e4505ba0e4600c82c05553f8803c60.jpg

And Still Later Set...2-Rail...

/media/tinymce_upload/7346e276009062a1c4864ad77dcda956.jpg

Final Hornby Dublo Train Set packaging...

/media/tinymce_upload/9569733b59752e1524e9ee7f14bd94d1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/99612204038c1667bdc239011f7951d3.jpg

The Breakdown Train set was possibly one of the first "Train Packs", without track, released.

Tri-ang Railways had released the Rocket loco and coaches without track.

Later, there were some Train Packs, including Freightliner trains, and, I think an AL1 (?) With Mk 2 coaches.

More recently, much more common practice...

I don't think all the Airfix sets had the separate boxes I'm sure the goods set with the black prairie tank was an expanded polystyrene tray. The Playcraft lakeside set sold as a layout in a box (sound familiar, more modern Hornby version???) had everything in the separate boxes including the tunnel, station, signals, trackside signs, level crossing Etc. Now if only i could get one of the track mats at a reasonable price to complete mine.........

@ Jacob :- Yes it has kinda - 

Has each indvidual box inside of the train got it’s own product number sticker label on the side of the box?

Not a sticker as such but...

/media/tinymce_upload/72dbc0ddf1685bff4f902d45a97835c9.JPG

More of it being printed!!!

is that you don’t need boxes inside of a box. That’s wasted packaging. Granted, packaging is needed inside of the box, but not indvidual boxes for each model, track and controller.

All you need inside of the train set box, is a simple cardboard or polystrene tray. This is less overall packaging wasted, than each item having it’s own box, inside of the train box.

Well I forgot to say Jacob - if you buy any from the Sovereign or the Signature Collections - then also yes there is a box in side a box -  if you look at any of the start of my 3 following vids - then you will see what I mean!!! 

Sovereign - The Station Pilot (R3789) - https://youtu.be/GtHIiy2gMpQ

Sovereign Collection - Last of the Private Owners (R3930)  - 

Signature Train Pack ( R1244 East Lincs Special) - 

@ Rana :- 

Now if only i could get one of the track mats at a reasonable price to complete mine.........

I have a few spare Track mats - if you would like one - then you are welcome to it!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/b31db5c05c6822eb37e2a08f76df5e8d.JPG