HST Modification

Glosgas

Good Morning, 

I have the R1230 HST Train set.  I want to add DCC TTS, which I know requires a decoder in both the Driver and Dummy Cabs.  Only the Driver Cab has a socket for the decoder.  My initial thought was to in the Driver Cab and to install two thin red and black wires from the DRiver Cab through the coaches into the Dummy Cab and install it in an 8-pin decoder harness I have; this has the problem that I won’t be able to  decouple the coaches.  My second thought is to modify the Dummy cab to pick up the supply from the rails. I’ve been looking at the Hornby Maintenance sheets, I assume that the   Driver Cab picks the supply up from the front bogie(?). Is it possible to replace the bogie in the Dummy Cab with the Driver Cab bogie?  My other questions are: Is the DCC socket mounted on the PCB in the DRiver Cab? Are the LED lights in the Driver Cab dual colour (white/red) or would I need to replace them with the Lght Board assembly shown in the Service Sheet?

I’m referring to Service Sheet HSS No.332B (Feb 2010).

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

I think Service Sheet 332 is not relevant to the version of the HST that you have,  This sheet relates to the super-detail HST which is fitted with a centrally-mounted motor whereas the set HST is the simplified Railroad model for which I believe Hornby have yet to issue a Service Sheet. 

Others here will be better placed to follow-up on your questions if your check through previous postings does not fully help.

GS

If you just wanted DCC control and TTS sound you only need to add one decoder in the power car to get it to work. I know this is not “real world” but if you are not a purist then I think you get acceptable results. In my opinion you would have been better off buying the detailed version than having the work converting this one if that was your ultimate goal.