Curved bridge

Nick73

I just googled curved bridge 00 gauge and got plenty of hits and images including this link to an old forum discussion...

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21432

The forum discussion notes that most curved bridges are actually straight sections joined together. True curved bridges are likely to be viaducts.

Noch not Nock.

......says its a 360mm radius but that doesn't mean anything to me

You said you wanted Radius 3. The 360mm radius of the Noch is actually an even tighter curve than Hornby Radius 1 at 371mm.

Radius 3 is 505mm. All the Hornby track radius values are detailed on this Hornby website page.

I find it hard to believe that you do not understand what a Radius XXmm value is.

It is the radius of a circle & twice the radius is the diameter of a circle. For track, the radius is measured to the centre of the track from a virtual position that represents the very centre of the circle. If you draw an arc from the centre point at a distance equal to the radius, then the arc is the resultant tightness of the curve you get.

/media/tinymce_upload/3d535c3bb2fbf877d064e20aeade5783.jpg

Read this previously posted thread that gives details on a larger radius version of this product, but still not equal to Radius 3.

Scratch building your own out of Plasticard and Plastruct modelling parts would be my preference. I have built a few scenic items using Plastruct and it has been a very successful and enjoyable exercise to admire ones own creation results.

The trackside wall set R660 can be used to create a curved bridge with a bit of ingenuity.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/trackside-wall-set.html

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/trackside-wall-set.html

And here are some alternatives.

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13820

Wills also do bridge kits which could be modified to curve by applying a number of short straight units end to end.

...but what is 360mm radius in Hornby Radius terms....does anyone know.

Due to the image posting delay, the question was answered before it was asked. See my post timed at 10:55 above. 360mm is less than Hornby Radius 1 @ 371mm.

As an aside to this question I have just laid track for my curved bridge area and once I had the track bed shape defined by the track geometry for the route the necessary style and design of the bridge to carry it seems to be sorting itself out.

/media/tinymce_upload/d287d17c6d3915111cc4618a230e943e.jpg

Found this but what is 360mm radius in hornby radius does anyone know

Hi Nick ,,,if this is the sort of thing you want you could very easily scratchbuild something like that,,look on eBay for oo gauge bridges,or girder bridges ,,then use your track as a guide and cut the required size out of some ply ,maybe 5mm / 10mm thick and remembering to make it wider at ends to allow for loco overhang ( as pointed out by WTD ),then fix the bridge sides to that with glue ,,also if you want stone or concrete type of pillars to bear the weight if it's a long structure you can also source them on eBay ,,,hope this all makes sense and is some help to you ,infact I have built something similar,i bought some old girder bridges ,I removed the sides from the base and cut some ply and created a twin track X 2 ft girder bridge,I'm actually going to extend it to almost 3ft ,,,go on and give it ago ,,,mjb

In 'Old Money'; 360mm radius is 14.17 inches. now vintage Triang small radius was 13.5 inch radius or 343mm.

Old Triang locomotives went round these curves OK although they did have much coarser flanges and flangeless centre drivers so you may 'get away with' 360mm radius IF your locomotives are all short wheelbase.  However I would not recommend large locomotives like Hornby's Mallard, Flying Scotsman or Duchess of Athol and modern bogie carriages are put round curves as tight as that.

However if all you run are the small 0-4-0 tank engines and four wheel wagons or coaches then you may be OK.