Hornby Booster Help

Ralphy5

Hello Gentleman,

I want to use my Power Booster which I got for Christmas.

My thoughts are:

1/ Run a new set of wires around my layout and use these solely for all my accessories.

E.g.     Points, Lights, etc.

2/ Use my Elite which is connect to my E Link solely for all my Train Engines.

I have attached the copy out of the manual for this connection. Is my amended one correct?

Thank you guys in advance for your advice.

Ralphy5 (From Down Under)/media/tinymce_upload/a91a0897672413f013769744fbf03633.jpg

You may be under a misapprehension as to the purpose of a ‘booster’. A signal and power booster is only ever used to power a totally isolated power district under control of a master and only controller. What it does not do is ‘boost’ more power into an existing track bus. It is vital than you never connect more than one DCC controller to the same bus or track. Never connect the Elite BOOST terminals to an existing track, only to a signal and power booster per the manual. Most layouts do not need a booster unless very large or complex.

The best way to connect a booster is using Figure 4 direct track connection method in the manual. This method also clearly shows the logic for a booster. Using the RJ Xpressnet cable is unreliable for various reasons.

The booster has its own power supply which it applies to a second (or subsequent) electrically isolated track district. It also takes the DCC signal from the controller attached to district one, amplifies it and applies it to district two. This is the only connection between the two power districts using isolation circuitry within the booster.

If you want to use the Elite to power the track bus and eLink (via Railmaster) to power a points bus then that is the only time you would have two controllers active on a layout (other than a Walkabout controller). As you have stated the Elite connects to the track bus and you run a new and separate bus for the points operated by the eLink. Never connect your eLink to the Elite as stated in your question.

I have a Booster which connects my Elite to my track bus, and I used to have my accessories bus connected to the track output terminal of the Elite. The advantage of this is that if a short circuit occurs on the track bus, the booster trips out, but the Elite does not, meaning that points can still be operated while the short circuit is being sorted out. The only disadvantage in using the booster in this way is that it doesn't have an on/off switch, so the only way to reset it is to pull out the power cable and plug it in again. To get around this I added a push-to-break button to the power supply cable.

I have since bought an eLink which I use for the accessories bus, but I still use the power booster for the track bus.

Ray

To help you visualise some of what Rob is writing about I have added a schematic below:

This schematic concentrates on two ways in which you can use the R8239 Booster parts to power two BUSes. One for track and one for Accessories.

In the top option, only the 4 Amp power supply from the R8239 Booster is used. The R8239 itself is not used and stored away for another day. As Rob quite rightly says, you cannot connect the output of the R8239 to the same track that the normal DCC controller is electrically connected to. Again, as Rob says, a Booster is an unfortunate term for the manufacturers to use. A 'Booster' does not boost the current to a track. A 'Booster' should be more accurately termed a 'DCC Data Signal Repeater'.

The outputs of the Elite and the eLink in the schematic below must never come into contact with each other. Since the eLink is not a stand-alone controller. The eLink can only be used with RailMaster software.

/media/tinymce_upload/f78fb17c47bf01ca6f757e2f68411c52.jpg

In the bottom schematic, The R8239 'Repeats' the DCC data signal present on the main track onto the Accessory Bus to control the Accessory Decoders that are attached to it. In this scenario, the eLink is the product relegated to the 'bottom drawer' storage location. RailMaster is then totally optional, Again as Rob says, use the Fig 4 connections for the Booster, not the RJ plug and socket connections.

Just to clarify some understanding. In your post you wrote:

1/ Run a new set of wires around my layout and use these solely for all my accessories.

E.g.     Points, Lights, etc.

You have not mentioned any Accessory Decoders in your query. Just be aware that you DO NOT use the Accessory Bus to DIRECTLY power point motors, signals and lights etc. The R8239 Booster IS NOT a power supply.

The Accessory Bus is used to connect to DCC Accessory Decoders. These are separate control boxes that convert DCC data command signals that come from the DCC controller into DC type electrical currents that can then be used to operate the accessory being controlled.

Hornby only make one Accessory Decoder....the R8247. The R8247 has fairly limited functionality...it can only operate a 3 wire Solenoid point motor or a simple 2 Aspect signal. If you want to operate any other type of Accessory then you will need an Accessory Decoder from another brand that is specifically designed for the task.

Note that the 'always on' current outputs of Accessory Decoders are limited and are not really any good to power generic layout lighting such as 'building lights', 'platform light' and 'street lighting' etc. These can be controlled by an Accessory Decoder if the output of the Accessory Decoder is used to operate a 'relay', then the relay contacts are used to switch the power from a separate suitably sized power supply to the lighting circuits.

Fishy is your man, on power boosters. His well documented view is that unless your layout is the size of a double garage, it is un necessary. Having said that, the way Ray uses his, is a perfect example, of another use.  They were brought out, if my memory serves, to boost power on bigger layouts, as a second district. No doubt, others will comment. I have an un used one, in a box, which i would be pleased to find a use for, on my layout.  As it is only 9 foot x 5 foot, it does not fit the Fishy formula.