Mosquito 1/24 scale

Tanker12b

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum so I would welcome any feed back, good or bad! Some time ago acquired the 1/24 Mosquito and it inevitably went into the stash to await its turn on the assembly mat. Having started the kit as it was intended to be built by Airfix, I changed up on a photo of the Tse-Tse with the Molins Gun. This was a game changer and building was halted whilst I gathered information on the Molins installation.

Luckily for me, Cosford just happens to have a Mossie with a complete Molins gun with its Autoloader fitted. So the gun and its Autoloader are not the issue as far as detail is concerned, how the mossie was converted to take this monster is as rare as hens teeth so far in my search for actual aircraft details of the installation and the way the gun was installed and removed in active service.

Hopefully someone may be able to point me in the direction of the aircraft modifications required to mount and remove the Molins Gun. Aftermarket conversion are limited and what I have found so far restrict the conversion to a stub barrel and the blast plate along with the armour fitted to nose/cowling/radiators etc. I am building the whole Molins from scratch along with the Autoloader in 1/24 scale fitted to the aircraft hence my search for the aircraft modifications. Progress on the Molins so far is about 30 % complete whilst the computer modelling is pretty much there, I am in the process of making a prototype Molins assembly.

Any help guys (and gals) would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards 

Tanker12b

You might find this set of interest: link

If you were able to travel to the De Havilland Aircraft Museum at London Colney, I can recommend it. When I was last there I remember seeing the gun and lots of data in respect of its fitment, although unlike Cosford there's no airframe with one fitted. I don't think there were a great deal of mods, it occupies the cannon bay and forward part of the weapons bay IIRC. Tsetse machines are usually seen with the outer nose mg's removed, the centre pair were retained for sighting. 

@PMM - Any decent drawings of a Highball system in situ? I have a feeling that with 2 mines it would be too long to fit with the Hispanos or Molins gun?

No drawings, but some photos of the installation. However, the Highball system was fitted to unarmed bomber aircraft, not gun nosed 'planes. When 618 Sqn was sent to Australia with the Highball system, one flight was left behind and re-equipped with the Tsetse Mossies.

You can find drawings of the Highball installation in Modeller's Datafile No 1, DH Mosquito. I don't what availability of this publication is like, they were changing hands for silly money a while ago. Paragon Designs did Highball resin sets in 1/72 and 1/48, but they're now rarer than hen's teeth and likewise exchange hands for silly money (pretty much the case for any Paragon sets).

Hi Guys,

when I try to upload a couple of images showing a little progress on the prototype Molins gun and a pic of where it sits in the bomb bay of the Mosquito, I get a message to say it is in the wrong format. Any help on what I am doing wrong would be good.

regards

Tanker 12B

Can you tell us the type of image file you're attempting to upload?

No expert on this Paul, but the IPad use HEIF which apparently stands for High Efficiency Image Format which reduces the storage issues of image files and video. I did download a screenshot earlier in the post with no issues !!

regards

Tanker12B

There is a known issue with HEIF files, if you convert to jpg, tif, png, bmp etc you shouldn't experience an7y problems. There's an app available to convert image files.

As an aside (and I hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread Tanker 12B), I found a sketch layout of the Highball setup.

/media/tinymce_upload/68a52e542d6ce1d123a99f156d260019.png

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I am currently building the mkXVlll in 1/24 scale. I started this as an "out of the box" build but caught the bug to build the Molins armed version complete with 57mm anti tank gun and the Molins Autoloader. As many of you will be aware that the nose of this mark of Mosquito had additional armour fitted and I was wondering if anyone knows how thick this was. I have read that it was 1/2 inch thick but did this only apply to areas like the cockpit floor/radiators/engines etc. Were the outer skin panels on the nose the same gauge or was it thinner. If anyone can point me in the right direction with any details of the additional armour and anything to do with the MkXVlll in general it would be much appreciated.

Best Regards 

Tanker12b_

Your best bet would be the Mosquito Museum at London Colney, they have an exhibit dealing soley with the Mk XVIII including the gun and loading mechanism, plus loads of background material. Obviously a visit at the moment is not possible and it may be out of range for you in any case, but it would be worth contacting them to see if they have anything in the archives that might be of assistance. The staff at the museum are a wonderful bunch, one of the friendliest museums I've ever been to.

• 1 year later...
Hi Everyone,
I am currently building the mkXVlll in 1/24 scale. I started this as an "out of the box" build but caught the bug to build the Molins armed version complete with 57mm anti tank gun and the Molins Autoloader. As many of you will be aware that the nose of this mark of Mosquito had additional armour fitted and I was wondering if anyone knows how thick this was. I have read that it was 1/2 inch thick but did this only apply to areas like the cockpit floor/radiators/engines etc. Were the outer skin panels on the nose the same gauge or was it thinner. If anyone can point me in the right direction with any details of the additional armour and anything to do with the MkXVlll in general it would be much appreciated.
Best Regards 
Tanker12b_

Hi Tanker

You should check out Steve Abbey’s build of a 1/24 Airfix Mosquito conversion to a Mk XVIII in the April 2011 copy of Airfix Model World magazine. Also a goo article on the Mk XVIII in that edition.

Steve used the Alleycat Conversion set for the build….might make things a little easier if you can find one.

Cheers,

Tim