Non-Running "The Burton" R3296X

Jimbo1707820979

I have tried several methods to restore proper running to this Hunt Class loco which was bought new, DCC fitted, in 2016 and carefully run in and performed well. My recent efforts to run it again have all failed. Using CV29 I switched it to DC allowed but it will not run on analogue either. If the decoder has failed, would it not run on DC until the decoder is removed and a blank fitted ?  Or could there be a more serious fault ?

I would be grateful for some advice.

According to Sam's Trains  review video the manual shows the decoder socket in the tender and also a shot of the loco & tender clearly shows the four wires connecting them so if your model has the same four wires then the decoder will be in the tender........HB

The Hunt class does indeed have the decoder socket in the tender.

The tender body is clipped on, the same as the tender drive locos.

In theory, if you squeeze the front and back, the sides should now out slightly, freeing off the clips.

It may also be possible to carefully insert a screwdriver, or similar, up inside the rear part of one side of the chassis, and push the bottom of one side outwards to free the clips...

They can be stubborn things...

We have the Cotwold Railroad DCC ready chassis under the old tender drive Yorkshire...

Success !    I removed the tender shell by very, very gently levering it up with the blade of a craft knife. On my "The Burton" it is a downwards-slide fit with 2 small locating blips at the front of the chassis.. After removing the decoder and pressing in a blanking plate the loco ran perfectly on DC.  This is the second decoder which has failed during storage for no apparent reason. The other was in my Heljan "Lion" so no connection.

Thanks to all for your comments.