Airfix 1/48 de Havilland D.H.82a Tiger Moth (A04104)

Ratch

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only 18 decals (apart from ten for the instrument panels) and these were applied over three sessions. The last of the decals went on today.

49727205448_685d29b658_z.jpgI'm very happy with their fit. I was a little sceptical when I started, but everything has worked well.

18 decals does not sound like a massive amount. I am unsure why, but I was expecting you to tell me that are more than 18 of them. However, when you look at how small that aeroplane kit is, 18 decals is a lot for it.

Is each individual red and white square on the wings, an individual decal?

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

No Gordon, look back to the first post. At the bottom is a picture of the decal sheet. One chquered decal for each wing. The tricky bit is getting such large decals positioned correctly and laying absolutely flat. Microset & Microsol help the decals in this respect.

I went back to your original post on page 1 and wow, what a lot of decals! 18 decals are a lot, now I have seen the decal sheet image again. I think decals are generally, are difficult to fit with success.

I saw the image a few days ago, but I clearly didn't take in how many decals there are and the size of them. Sorry about this Ratch.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

That would make it harder. The builder would have to use exactly the same colour as the decal for it to blend in. Its not the decal itself that's hard, its the sheer quantity. Some builders don't see the point - they can hardly be seen - while others would complain if they were not included.

More little bits added today.

Propeller.

49739077921_1456c25d4e_z.jpg

I think these are cushion-type-bumpers in front of the instrument panel, presumably so the flyer isn't too damaged in a quick stop scenario.

49739077916_f9846289e8_z.jpg%5B

and the doors.

49739401542_469e940cdb_z.jpgI have given her a light spray with Matt varnish. Just the windscreens to add before I start the rigging - fingers crossed