Bf109G-6 1/72

A few people made some kind comments about my previous post (the Avro Anson), so I thought I'd risk another one... this time of the Airfix 1/72 Bf109-G-6. Modelled very much OOB, although I did manage to cut the canopy up with a razor saw so that I could have it open. The reason that I wanted to do this one was to try to see if I could replicate blotch-camouflage using brushes (I don't have an air-brush) - I'm reasonably pleased with the result, so will now be encouraged to try it again on the Bf109E that is sitting on the shelf waiting to be built. I enjoyed the build!

I've included a few pict/media/tinymce_upload/d73e21e81576fc1dd9bc7f8792add8a9.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/357f6ea78359639ce800678278a601c0.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/9dadc0b5adbbcf9c90faee2f4194fda2.jpgures...

And as an add-on, if anyone can tell me how I can change the name that appears with my posts, I'd be grateful! For some reason, this Forum has decided that my name is null-null98. I've e-mailed airfix@ but no reply... So if the moderator is able to effect the change for me, I'd like my name to appear as Landy

Yes that's very good Landy. If you don't want such a heavy mottling effect try less paint on your brush. When I used to use hairy sticks I took a fairly stiff brush and cut the bristles so you have a hard flat surface for stippling.

But I like what you have done with the canopy and seatbelts for the pilot! 

Very nice! Even with an airbrush the 109 is so tiny in 1/72 its easier said than done. Whats worked well for me in the past is to use a cotton bud (Q-tip in American). Blot it almost dry on paper (I use acrylic) then lightly apply the blots. The furry head gives a defuse blot if you're careful rather than a paint spot. Your pilot is so good no-one will notice the lack of cockpit detail either. He could be 1/48 easily.

Yes using a cotton bud similar to dry brushing should work well with care for mottling. I hadn't tried that before? 

And Tweezers, as Peter s says the pilot fills the cockpit void so we'll the lack of detail can't be noticed especially if the closed kit canopy is used!